Discussion Re-Signings, Retirements, Delistings, Trade & Drafting

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think it might have been Bickley who said whoever GC drafted at 2,3 & 6 throw 5 year deals at them , build them all up to be key franchise players and make them want to stay and build success.

Given they lost Lynch & May I would draft the King twins at 2 & 3.

Let Carlton take whoever at 1 (Walsh) , Saints and Port can take Lukosious and Rankine , then GC can take either Smith or Rozee at 6.
Have it on pretty decent authority that Port are going to take Bailey Smith with our first pick unless by some miracle Lukocious is still there.

Not long now lads.

AFL Club
Collingwood
………….Maybe just have everyone on a one season performance contract.
Or maybe copy the Supercoach formula, trade a player anytime during the season IF a satisfactory deal can be done that both clubs, and player, are happy with. :)

Maybe time to admit the AFL is a business now, so like other businesses, treat it like the stock market, buy and sell anytime. :):)

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
Or maybe copy the Supercoach formula, trade a player anytime during the season IF a satisfactory deal can be done that both clubs, and player, are happy with. :)

Maybe time to admit the AFL is a business now, so like other businesses, treat it like the stock market, buy and sell anytime. :):)
...and on a similar theme it will be interesting to see how the world copes with the Kelly situation at Geelong this year. It is the closest thing to a player announcing he is leaving a club the following season that I can recall in the AFL.

Will a player be selected when it is known he won’t be there next year? (I suspect so). And will a player be able to perform professionally and well for a team that he has decided to leave? (Again I suspect so). Will the media engage in constant speculation about the whole situation (I suspect not).

Hopefully it will help the industry grow up about this issue and stop the need for the silly games played by those involved.

AFL Club
Collingwood
something weird again

Contract quirk: Swans delist retired ruck, plan to rookie him

SYDNEY has delisted Kurt Tippett, but the former ruckman will be placed on the club's rookie list next year as part of his retirement settlement with the Swans.

Tippett announced his shock retirement in January this year, citing a host of injury problems for giving the game away, but was retained on the Swans' list as part of the club's Total Player Payments (TPP) requirements with the AFL.

The towering big man was contracted to Sydney until the end of 2020 but played just nine games in 2017 because of a serious ankle injury, and that issue contributed to his decision to walk away from the game.

WHO'S LEAVING YOUR CLUB? All the latest retirements and delistings

The Swans' agreement with Tippett gives them some salary cap relief given he was on a significant playing contract.

Sydney released a statement on Friday explaining the decision.

"In keeping with AFL rules and regulations, it is the club’s intention to re-draft Tippett in the upcoming AFL Rookie Draft so that the club can fulfil the terms of an agreed settlement," the statement read.

"Tippett, who retired from AFL football in January 2018 due to injury problems, is not fit for football and has no intention of returning to the AFL.

"With this statement we consider the matter closed. No parties will make any further comment."

Tippett played 178 senior games and kicked 325 goals for Adelaide and the Swans and was the leading goalkicker at both clubs.

AFL Club
Adelaide
"Tippett, who retired from AFL football in January 2018 due to injury problems, is not fit for football and has no intention of returning to the AFL. He's currently swimming around in his big pile of money Scrooge McDuck style in his mansion in Bondi”

Yes Herbie, I’ve had a couple of glasses of wine and I’m still bitter ?

AFL Club
Collingwood
"Tippett, who retired from AFL football in January 2018 due to injury problems, is not fit for football and has no intention of returning to the AFL. He's currently swimming around in his big pile of money Scrooge McDuck style in his mansion in Bondi”

Yes Herbie, I’ve had a couple of glasses of wine and I’m still bitter ?
hahaha I could have sworn I saw him running laps at West Lakes with Sauce during the week

AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting as I agree the Doggies need a another forward option (or another MID and keep the Bont FWD) ... Roo'sy threw up the name of Mihocek this week ...
Mihocek would definitely suit the doggies, but don't see pies letting him go unless Brodie takes up the whole cap space. Even Finlayson from GWS would be a cheaper pick.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Mihocek would definitely suit the doggies, but don't see pies letting him go unless Brodie takes up the whole cap space. Even Finlayson from GWS would be a cheaper pick.
He said 800k and I nearly spilt my drink but see where he is coming from

IMO the days of 500k+ forwards might be over ...