Discussion Re-Signings, Retirements, Delistings, Trade & Drafting

AFL Club
Brisbane
Good on you Carlton for bidding on both Liam Henry & Tom Green... but really sick of these academy picks and compromised drafts with both FRE & GWS trading around the bids and getting these guns for peanuts.
Henry was a n.g.a pick which ALL non eastern state teams have but I suppose when west coast get a n.g.a 1st round pick and they trade around bids and they get them for peanuts and for a discount what will you say then?

AFL Club
West Coast
Personally I think relying on the clubs to make a nomination is a flawed concept leaving it open for collusion...

If Green is that good I don't know why none of the earlier clubs didn't bid for him... Swans apparently have their own guy coming through next year so would be hoping GWS remember that they didn't bid this year...

FWIW Eagles got Jarrod Cameron last year at Pick 39 matching Brisbane's bid - we used our remaining picks which were initially 61, 72, 76 and 94 but they'd probably been pushed back 5 or 6 spots by that time - based on the 7 games he played last year, pick 39 is looking like a steal but picks 67, 78, 82 and 100 looks even better!!!

AFL Club
West Coast
Henry was a n.g.a pick which ALL non eastern state teams have but I suppose when west coast get a n.g.a 1st round pick and they trade around bids and they get them for peanuts and for a discount what will you say then?
My stance wouldn't change at all and this wasn't a West Coast thing as you are trying to turn it into... From a pure Football perspective, I don't like the academies nor the compromised drafts that are a result of them, and I don't like the way clubs can trade around possible bids and only use low picks for elite talent. But it's more so the other academies that continue to gift elite talent to teams like last years Grand Finalist GWS, than the NGA academies. I don't reckon anyone can argue a case for GWS still receiving these free kicks after making this years Grand Final. They have got their list at a stage where they are more than competitive and they should be the same as every other non Northern State club, and only have a NGA academy.

Would definitely take it if we got a first round NGA player for peanuts but it still wouldn't change my general dislike of academies and compromised drafts. Have always been strong on that.

Might want to get your facts straight as well... ALL Melbourne clubs also have NGA Academies.

We want as fair a draft system as possible, but it's currently far from that.

AFL Club
Brisbane
My stance wouldn't change at all and this wasn't a West Coast thing as you are trying to turn it into... From a pure Football perspective, I don't like the academies nor the compromised drafts that are a result of them, and I don't like the way clubs can trade around possible bids and only use low picks for elite talent. But it's more so the other academies that continue to gift elite talent to teams like last years Grand Finalist GWS, than the NGA academies. I don't reckon anyone can argue a case for GWS still receiving these free kicks after making this years Grand Final. They have got their list at a stage where they are more than competitive and they should be the same as every other non Northern State club, and only have a NGA academy.

Would definitely take it if we got a first round NGA player for peanuts but it still wouldn't change my general dislike of academies and compromised drafts. Have always been strong on that.

Might want to get your facts straight as well... ALL Melbourne clubs also have NGA Academies.

We want as fair a draft system as possible, but it's currently far from that.
until draftee's have a longer initial contract it won't be fair for eastern teams so other teams can't steal them away for next to nothing like has happened in the past

AFL Club
Geelong
Gold Coast fail again with a pick swap. 3 years straight now.

And the AFL keep propping them up and handing them picks.
Nah, it was just shrewd trading from Wellsy ;)

Gives us a mighty fine hand next year, either to draft or trade for a gun player.
Rat, Miers, Narkle, Parfitt, Constable, Henry, Clarke + this weeks haul + next years!

Gotta say, for a team that has only left the 8 once in the last decade we are transitioning very well.

Last edited: