Discussion TV/Series Discussion (Non Spoiler)

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Scene referenced in the above tweet: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMsDWvDoIm8

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083399/

Among my top 3 favourite series of all time largely due to containing some of the best sitcom writing in conjunction with the sustained quality throughout the series run.

Main cast consisting of Ted Danson, Rhea Perlman, Shelley Long, Kirstie Alley, Kelsey Grammer, George Wendt, John Ratzenberger, Woody Harrelson, Nicholas Colasanto and Bebe Neuwirth.

Highly recommend to anyone that has not yet had the pleasure to do so and Frasier fans that have not seen Cheers. Unaware if it’s listed on any streaming services but the acquisition of the DVD box set will be a great purchase.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was at work the other day, and out of nowhere, a siren sounded and a voice came over the PA, explaining in detail that everything was fine, and that we could resume our normal duties.

No-one had been doing anything other than that - there hadn't been any indication that there was something to worry about previously,

Then it happened again. And again. And again. And again.

It reminded me of this:

AFL Club
Carlton

Scene referenced in the above tweet: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMsDWvDoIm8

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083399/

Among my top 3 favourite series of all time largely due to containing some of the best sitcom writing in conjunction with the sustained quality throughout the series run.

Main cast consisting of Ted Danson, Rhea Perlman, Shelley Long, Kirstie Alley, Kelsey Grammer, George Wendt, John Ratzenberger, Woody Harrelson, Nicholas Colasanto and Bebe Neuwirth.

Highly recommend to anyone that has not yet had the pleasure to do so and Frasier fans that have not seen Cheers. Unaware if it’s listed on any streaming services but the acquisition of the DVD box set will be a great purchase.
A favourite opening sequence that I have always remembered fondly here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvns30-6Lz0

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Another Netflix recommendation is the documentary series “The Toys that Made Us”, which recently released Season 3 (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7053920/)

Synopsis: The minds behind history's most iconic toy franchises discuss the rise (and sometimes fall) of their billion-dollar creations.

12 episodes, across all 3 seasons, consisting of: Star Wars, Barbie, He-Man, G.I Joe, Star Trek, Lego, Transformers, Hello Kitty, Power Rangers, My Little Pony, Wrestling and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Recently released a new spinoff- “The Movies that Made Us”. Episodes involve Dirty Dancing, Die Hard, Ghostbusters and Home Alone.

Synopsis: The stories behind blockbusters that defined a generation; actors, directors and industry insiders lead the way on essential deep dives.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
30 years since the 1st episode of the Simpsons aired on December 17th 1987.

Which episodes, characters, guest stars, etc are your favourites?
It's kind of crazy to think about how long it has lasted. Makes you feel old when you reference a classic Simpson's gag to someone then realise it's older than the person you are talking to (and you remember it from when it first aired).

...Honestly I don't think there are any episodes from this entire century that match classics from the first 8-10 seasons. My favourites would all be from that time.

Favourite character changes a bit, probably Mr Burns or Mayor Quimby overall. Lots of great ones though.

Couldn't single out a specific guest star, maybe Phil Hartman if he counts. The show started to go downhill a bit around when he passed away actually. I do miss his regular characters (Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure), but glad they retired them rather than recasting them.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's kind of crazy to think about how long it has lasted. Makes you feel old when you reference a classic Simpson's gag to someone then realise it's older than the person you are talking to (and you remember it from when it first aired).

...Honestly I don't think there are any episodes from this entire century that match classics from the first 8-10 seasons. My favourites would all be from that time.

Favourite character changes a bit, probably Mr Burns or Mayor Quimby overall. Lots of great ones though.

Couldn't single out a specific guest star, maybe Phil Hartman if he counts. The show started to go downhill a bit around when he passed away actually. I do miss his regular characters (Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure), but glad they retired them rather than recasting them.
Very hard to find a/or multiple poor or below average episodes during that golden period.

Mayor Quimby is a parody of the Kennedy family with the voice modelled after JFK whereas Mr Burns was based on John D Rockefeller whilst his look is a combination of a praying mantis and former head of Fox broadcasting, Barry Diller.

Hartman guest starred in 53 episodes which is currently 2nd behind Marcia Wallace (172 as per IMDB) for most guest star appearances and voiced numerous one-time characters most notably Lyle Lanley from the episode Marge Vs the Monorail.

Unsure if you’re aware of the tragic circumstances of his death and the Andy ****/Jon Lovitz story.
Phil Hartman’s death:
“On May 28th, 1998, Phil was shot to death while sleeping in his Encino, California home by his wife, Brynn Hartman. Brynn left the house and later came back with a friend to show him Phil's body. When her friend went to call 911, Brynn locked herself in the bedroom with Phil's lifeless body and shot herself. It was later discovered by the coroner that Brynn had alcohol, cocaine, and the antidepressant, Zoloft, in her system.”

Andy ****/Jon Lovitz story (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lovitz-speaks-out-on-dustup-with-andy-****/):
In an interview with Dennis Miller on Tuesday, comedian Jon Lovitz explained that Andy ****'s constant complaining about his arrival on "Newsradio" led to an argument during which Lovitz accused **** of contributing to the death of Phil Hartman. Lovitz had joined the show, of which **** was a co-star, after his friend Hartman was shot and killed by Hartman's wife, Brynn.

"[Andy] was just complaining and really giving me a hard time for no reason. Phil told me that they had a Christmas party and Andy was doing cocaine and he gave it to Phil's wife Brynn, who had been sober for 10 years. So Andy said to me, 'Well, you shouldn't be here,' and I said, 'Well, I wouldn't be here if you hadn't given Brynn coke in the first place.'"

Eventually, the two worked out their differences, or so Lovitz thought. "Later on we made up, and I said 'I'm sorry I said that,'" Lovitz said. "I realized it really wasn't his fault. Everything was fine for years." But everything changed when **** visited a restaurant of which Lovitz is part-owner. Lovitz said he was sitting at a table with a friend, and a group at the table next to them treated them to some peach liqueurs. Apparently, **** and a friend came over to their table, and downed both liqueurs.

"He's standing there with liqueur dripping down his chin and he says, 'I put the Phil Hartman hex on you, you're the next one to die,'" said Lovitz. "And he's smiling, and my blood just went to my head. I wanted to smash him, but if I hit him he would have gone flying into the table behind him. He was really drunk."

Lovitz told ****'s friend to take his buddy out of the restaurant and vowed never to let him back in again. He didn't see **** again until Wednesday night, when Lovitz was performing his weekly show at the Laugh Factory in Los Angeles. "So I do my show and there's all these people there and then I'm done and the MC's up on stage and I see Andy's up on stage and I'm like 'Oh my God, what's he going to do?'" he said. Lovitz met up with **** in the packed lobby after the show. Lovitz wanted an apology from **** for his "Hartman's hex" comment. But, apparently, **** hadn't really buried the hatchet over their initial argument during their stint on "Newsradio."

"I just wanted him to say, 'Oh, I'm sorry,'" said Lovitz. "Then he leans into me, 'Well you know why I said that? Because you said I killed Phil Hartman that's the first thing you said to me when you got on the show.' I just lost it so I grabbed him by the shirt and I pushed him against the wall. And he's just smiling at me, and then I realized 'oooh, here's my chance.' So I grabbed him by his shirt and pushed him really hard and I smashed his back and his head into the bar. And I did it again. I would have kept going, but the doorman broke it up."

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very hard to find a/or multiple poor or below average episodes during that golden period.

Mayor Quimby is a parody of the Kennedy family with the voice modelled after JFK whereas Mr Burns was based on John D Rockefeller whilst his look is a combination of a praying mantis and former head of Fox broadcasting, Barry Diller.

Hartman guest starred in 53 episodes which is currently 2nd behind Marcia Wallace (172 as per IMDB) for most guest star appearances and voiced numerous one-time characters most notably Lyle Lanley from the episode Marge Vs the Monorail.

Unsure if you’re aware of the tragic circumstances of his death and the Andy ****/Jon Lovitz story.
Phil Hartman’s death:
“On May 28th, 1998, Phil was shot to death while sleeping in his Encino, California home by his wife, Brynn Hartman. Brynn left the house and later came back with a friend to show him Phil's body. When her friend went to call 911, Brynn locked herself in the bedroom with Phil's lifeless body and shot herself. It was later discovered by the coroner that Brynn had alcohol, cocaine, and the antidepressant, Zoloft, in her system.”

Andy ****/Jon Lovitz story (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lovitz-speaks-out-on-dustup-with-andy-****/):
In an interview with Dennis Miller on Tuesday, comedian Jon Lovitz explained that Andy ****'s constant complaining about his arrival on "Newsradio" led to an argument during which Lovitz accused **** of contributing to the death of Phil Hartman. Lovitz had joined the show, of which **** was a co-star, after his friend Hartman was shot and killed by Hartman's wife, Brynn.

"[Andy] was just complaining and really giving me a hard time for no reason. Phil told me that they had a Christmas party and Andy was doing cocaine and he gave it to Phil's wife Brynn, who had been sober for 10 years. So Andy said to me, 'Well, you shouldn't be here,' and I said, 'Well, I wouldn't be here if you hadn't given Brynn coke in the first place.'"

Eventually, the two worked out their differences, or so Lovitz thought. "Later on we made up, and I said 'I'm sorry I said that,'" Lovitz said. "I realized it really wasn't his fault. Everything was fine for years." But everything changed when **** visited a restaurant of which Lovitz is part-owner. Lovitz said he was sitting at a table with a friend, and a group at the table next to them treated them to some peach liqueurs. Apparently, **** and a friend came over to their table, and downed both liqueurs.

"He's standing there with liqueur dripping down his chin and he says, 'I put the Phil Hartman hex on you, you're the next one to die,'" said Lovitz. "And he's smiling, and my blood just went to my head. I wanted to smash him, but if I hit him he would have gone flying into the table behind him. He was really drunk."

Lovitz told ****'s friend to take his buddy out of the restaurant and vowed never to let him back in again. He didn't see **** again until Wednesday night, when Lovitz was performing his weekly show at the Laugh Factory in Los Angeles. "So I do my show and there's all these people there and then I'm done and the MC's up on stage and I see Andy's up on stage and I'm like 'Oh my God, what's he going to do?'" he said. Lovitz met up with **** in the packed lobby after the show. Lovitz wanted an apology from **** for his "Hartman's hex" comment. But, apparently, **** hadn't really buried the hatchet over their initial argument during their stint on "Newsradio."

"I just wanted him to say, 'Oh, I'm sorry,'" said Lovitz. "Then he leans into me, 'Well you know why I said that? Because you said I killed Phil Hartman that's the first thing you said to me when you got on the show.' I just lost it so I grabbed him by the shirt and I pushed him against the wall. And he's just smiling at me, and then I realized 'oooh, here's my chance.' So I grabbed him by his shirt and pushed him really hard and I smashed his back and his head into the bar. And I did it again. I would have kept going, but the doorman broke it up."
I knew most of that except for the Andy/Jon stuff. Sounds like Andy's name is right.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I knew most of that except for the Andy/Jon stuff. Sounds like Andy's name is right.
Mike Reiss (writer, producer and show runner at various stages on the Simpsons) featured on Episode 12 of Gilbert Gottfried’s Amazing Colossal Podcast with some obscure facts regarding the series.

Initially the plan was to reveal that Marge’s hair was covering her rabbit like ears but was scrapped along with another idea which involved Homer being Krusty the Clown, explaining their similar design. Episode also features numerous other stories regarding the Simpsons as well as Reiss’s time writing for the Johnny Carson Show.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

My top 5 guest starts would have to be.
1. Phil Hartman
2. Albert Brooks (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000983/)
Played Hank Scorpio, Russ Cargill (Simpsons movie), Brad Goodman and Jacques and others in 7 episodes.
3. Jon Lovitz (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001484/)
Played Artie Ziff, Jay Sherman, Llewellyn Sinclair and others in 20 episodes.
4. Kelsey Grammer (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001288/)
Plays Sideshow Bob in 22 episodes.
5. Glen Close (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000335/)
Plays Mona Simpson in 10 episodes.

Would have been interesting to see if the Simpsons would have been able to sustain the quality past Season 10 if Hartman was still alive and Conan O’Brien didn’t receive a late night gig and had a long tenure with the program.

Back to Hartman again, we’re you aware that he’d mentioned to Matt Groening about producing a live action Troy McClure movie?

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unsung hero of the series is famous recluse John Swartzwelder credited with writing 58 episodes between Season 1-15 and at one stage by fans/media was thought to be a pseudonym/fictions person.

1576650687907.png

Trivia for IMDB regarding John Swartzwelder (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0841990/bio?ref_=nm_dyk_trv_sm#trivia)

Famous for being reclusive, he has steadfastly refused to participate in any commentary for the Simpsons DVDs.

Used to write all his scripts in a coffee shop. When smoking was banned in that coffee shop he bought the booth where he used to sit in and moved the whole thing to his home.

He used to be a fixture in the writer's room of The Simpsons (1989), but ceased coming in when smoking was banned in the writer's room and thereafter submitted his scripts by driving up and handing them in from his car window.

His animated likeness, though not his voice, has been featured in over nine episodes of The Simpsons (1989). Pedestrian viewers often mistakenly think that the likeness is meant to be David Crosby.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Share a similar sentiment. Hans Moleman and Old Jewish Man would be my favourite of the small characters with Mr Burns, Apu, Chief Wiggum and Krusty the Clown, from outside of the Simpsons family with Homer topping them all.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1st 4 seasons of Impractical Jokers are now available on Netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2100976/

Synopsis:
Four friends challenge each other with a series of awkward and outrageous dares. If any of the four refuses to complete a dare, he loses and must endure punishment.

Recommended for families with teens,etc.