TV/Series Discussion - Spoiler Central (Warning: lots of Australian Survivor spoilers, avoid if you are not up to date)

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sam is very brutal! 🤣

The power couple with 2 idols. They may actually make it to the very end now. But I doubt Sam will win due to a bitter jury. She's already burnt 2 of her closest allies in Khanh & Jessie. My pick is Mark to take the win!

Jessie rivaling Erik from US Survivor for dumbest survivor ever by basically giving his idol away. 🤣

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sam is very brutal! 🤣

The power couple with 2 idols. They may actually make it to the very end now. But I doubt Sam will win due to a bitter jury. She's already burnt 2 of her closest allies in Khanh & Jessie. My pick is Mark to take the win!

Jessie rivaling Erik from US Survivor for dumbest survivor ever by basically giving his idol away. 🤣
I was amazed that more people didn’t vote for Mark tonight. He and Sam didn’t seem to even be thinking about using their idols, and the singles could have changed the game dramatically by simply voting together!

The singles have been deeply underwhelming. Now Shay is saying that people will regret putting her name down, but it seems she and the others barely even had a strategic discussion before Jordie turned up looking for new allies. It seems very odd to me that someone hasn’t rallied that group earlier.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was amazed that more people didn’t vote for Mark tonight. He and Sam didn’t seem to even be thinking about using their idols, and the singles could have changed the game dramatically by simply voting together!

The singles have been deeply underwhelming. Now Shay is saying that people will regret putting her name down, but it seems she and the others barely even had a strategic discussion before Jordie turned up looking for new allies. It seems very odd to me that someone hasn’t rallied that group earlier.
It happens every year, too many people seem content to just finish around 6th/7th at best and do stuff all, and get ignored up until the episode they get voted out (can think of at least 4 still in it this year that pretty much fit that category).

Not sure how some of the players still in this plan to win based on their games so far. It's been a pretty dull season because of it - even Sam's move was kind of bland, as it was extremely obvious what was coming, and you could tell that she wasn't going to get punished for it by these clueless singles once it was revealed to them she had an idol. They showed zero intention of trying to improve their chances in the game, just being content in a top 6 spot (or worse), by sticking with people who have a clear couple alliance.

I understand we don't see everything with the edit, but I'd prefer to take my chances as a group of singles. Never mind that I'd likely be first out if I ever went on Survivor (I'm pretty unfit), but gotta try something in this game - better getting 0 votes in final tribal because you burned people than being on the jury due to not making moves.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
It happens every year, too many people seem content to just finish around 6th/7th at best and do stuff all, and get ignored up until the episode they get voted out (can think of at least 4 still in it this year that pretty much fit that category).

Not sure how some of the players still in this plan to win based on their games so far. It's been a pretty dull season because of it - even Sam's move was kind of bland, as it was extremely obvious what was coming, and you could tell that she wasn't going to get punished for it by these clueless singles once it was revealed to them she had an idol. They showed zero intention of trying to improve their chances in the game, just being content in a top 6 spot (or worse), by sticking with people who have a clear couple alliance.

I understand we don't see everything with the edit, but I'd prefer to take my chances as a group of singles. Never mind that I'd likely be first out if I ever went on Survivor (I'm pretty unfit), but gotta try something in this game - better getting 0 votes in final tribal because you burned people than being on the jury due to not making moves.
I’m mindful that we don’t see everything as well. Equally the producers seem pretty happy to have multiple potential outcomes “live” going into Tribal, so I suspect if there was anything worth showing, they would have shown it.

David did claim to have a plan for the next vote, although I’m not sure what that would have been other than gathering up the singles, or perhaps a subset of the singles and one of the couples. It’s not obvious why they couldn’t just do that last night instead, particularly if someone else was doing the lobbying for him and all he had to do was get on board to build further momentum in that direction. They could have had Mark gone, one idol out, and now been in a 6-3 majority.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ok, what has been quite a boring season of Australian Survivor potentially got interesting with that vote tonight. Great strategy there, I'm guessing KJ must have discussed it with her alliance/Dave off screen for them to all put the vote on Jordan, who wasn't really being spoken about as a vote out option. Usually the person voted out is given away by the editors, might have missed it while flicking between footy and Survivor.

Going to be an interesting reaction back at camp tomorrow night. :)

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok, what has been quite a boring season of Australian Survivor potentially got interesting with that vote tonight. Great strategy there, I'm guessing KJ must have discussed it with her alliance/Dave off screen for them to all put the vote on Jordan, who wasn't really being spoken about as a vote out option. Usually the person voted out is given away by the editors, might have missed it while flicking between footy and Survivor.

Going to be an interesting reaction back at camp tomorrow night. :)
I agree with your take, he was a left field pick. It does seem they must have discussed off camera, and the producers just didn’t show that to build the suspense.

I thought that leaving the idols at camp was a dumb move as soon as it was suggested. All they needed was to be able to pass each other an idol if it went wrong and one of them got voted out (the scenario in which you would have wished you’d had the idol …), and leaving both at camp left both of them vulnerable. Mark did well with some quick thinking, and Sam managed to run with it, but it seemed she had that awful feeling that she’d done the wrong thing given that she asked Mark whether he had an idol when she realised what was happening.

I feel KJ was overselling how much sustained gain she could make with her advantage, but getting out a core majority member was a good result for her. Hopefully David is now with her, Shea and Jodie (he should be, he will have agitated the leader of the majority), and we have some more action to come.

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Leaving the idols back at camp... in what world is that a smart move. Sam has balls of steel!

KJ brilliant strategic move splitting up the couples and using Juicy to help them pull off a great blindside.

Finally a 4-4split. Will make it more interesting in the next few episodes.

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just wow...

Balls of absolute steel. So she was basically tanking her own game for Mark. I guess it was the right thing to do for Mark's game as she was 0 chance to win with that bitter Jury.

Love the The Dark Knight references tonight. Guess that made Sammy Catwoman? 🤣

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Finally they've listened and made it a final 3!!!

That was a brilliant move from Mark tonight essentially was able to flip the tables and get the votes on Josh instead of being eliminated himself. Almost certain that if Josh doesn't win the final immunity he's definitely finishing in 4th place.

Chrissy the biggest goat (follower) of all time. Has basically been Josh's follower since day 1. Can't think for herself and the one time she thinks for herself she gets blindsided lol. There is no way she wins.

Shay. It's hard to see her winning unless she has some sort of amazing speech to the the jury. Just didn't see any big moves from her all season. I can definitely see her winning the likely endurance based challenge. Only sort of move she made was with Jordie but that was baiscally all of his

Mark wins if he's able to vote Josh off. His ability to hold onto the idols for so long took a lot of guts. Has rarely been in the minority. Being able to flip the girls to stick with their Josh vote was very noteworthy.

Josh has been in charge the entire game but was basically not seen pre tribe swap. Only wins if he wins individual immunity against the endurance beast Shay.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really wanted to see Mark go at final 5 after he wasted his second idol at final 6. Would have been extremely satisfying. Kj and Shay blew that though.

Figured Mark'd be winning by then, he was given the "hero" edit, but thought Chrissy may have got at least one vote at the end from someone who was annoyed with Mark voting them out. Two goats in the final 3, was always going to be an easy win for whoever made it out of Mark and Josh. Only way it would have been interesting was if both made final 3, but that wasn't happening.

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Called it lol. Easy win for Mark.

The 2nd returning player ever to win Aussie survivor! Basically the Aussie version of Boston Rob & Amber sorta.

Normally big guys like him don't win but having a shield in Josh was a brilliant plan from around the time of the tribe swap. In hindsight not picking the tribe that his wife was on was probably the $500,000 decision. Mark has definitely changed from his first season until now. Favourite moment of Mark's was definitely at final 5 when he was able to bluff the girls into voting for Josh. Was almost certain to go but being able to convince them to flip their votes was definitely some great strategic gameplay.

This season overall was definitely not my favourite season though. Brain Vs Brawn & Allstars still my 2 fave aussie versions.

Would like to see them change the final challenge. Kind of sick of the aussie endurance based last challenge. Something more along the lines of like an obstacle sort of race and then with some sort of puzzle at the end. Might be a money issue being the aussie version so probably can't expect too much.

Well done Mark!

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
@Ironhawk @Tamuhawk, I think you both read the edit and so on better than I do. To be honest I try not to, so as not to spoil it for myself 🙂

It was clear that Shay had no hope, but at times last night I thought Chrissy was in with a good shot. Obviously they tried to make it look that way, but she’d been brought into it from a few episodes out, rather than just at the final hurdle. She was also high profile from early on (albeit with a flat spot in the middle).

To me there are a few potential implications of this season’s outcome - particularly a 9-0-0 result:

- Pure social game players (eg Chrissy) are going to struggle. Personally I think they always do/should - a social game is often one that almost exclusively benefits yourself, rather than your alliance or tribe.

- Similarly, pure physical players are going to have to show more to be in with a good chance. Shay made an okay argument with what she had to work with, the issue was that she only had one real thing to work with. The jury clearly thought her 8/10 assessment was miles off the mark.

- Obvious endurance threats like Shay should probably be eliminated earlier. The final three actually reduces the prize for the winner of the final (endurance) challenge, but everyone knows what the challenge is broadly going to be, and she and Hayley absolutely dominated and were obviously likely to do so in advance. Josh may have won the whole thing if he’d cut her earlier - I think people will probably learn from that mistake. Josh vs Mark at the very end would have been interesting to watch.

- There’s a good chance that next season’s players will play a lot harder, given how emphatic the final result was. Two one-dimensional players got zero votes combined, so I think the logical conclusion is that next season’s players will need to be more rounded, and especially show more strategic play (which everyone can do - it’s not like there are physical limitations).

Tamuhawk

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
@Ironhawk @Tamuhawk, I think you both read the edit and so on better than I do. To be honest I try not to, so as not to spoil it for myself 🙂

It was clear that Shay had no hope, but at times last night I thought Chrissy was in with a good shot. Obviously they tried to make it look that way, but she’d been brought into it from a few episodes out, rather than just at the final hurdle. She was also high profile from early on (albeit with a flat spot in the middle).

To me there are a few potential implications of this season’s outcome - particularly a 9-0-0 result:

- Pure social game players (eg Chrissy) are going to struggle. Personally I think they always do/should - a social game is often one that almost exclusively benefits yourself, rather than your alliance or tribe.

- Similarly, pure physical players are going to have to show more to be in with a good chance. Shay made an okay argument with what she had to work with, the issue was that she only had one real thing to work with. The jury clearly thought her 8/10 assessment was miles off the mark.

- Obvious endurance threats like Shay should probably be eliminated earlier. The final three actually reduces the prize for the winner of the final (endurance) challenge, but everyone knows what the challenge is broadly going to be, and she and Hayley absolutely dominated and were obviously likely to do so in advance. Josh may have won the whole thing if he’d cut her earlier - I think people will probably learn from that mistake. Josh vs Mark at the very end would have been interesting to watch.

- There’s a good chance that next season’s players will play a lot harder, given how emphatic the final result was. Two one-dimensional players got zero votes combined, so I think the logical conclusion is that next season’s players will need to be more rounded, and especially show more strategic play (which everyone can do - it’s not like there are physical limitations).
Chrissy's edit didn't totally go unnotice. She had probably more confessionals than Mark had. Chrissy did play one heck of a social game, but she was too public about her close relationship with Josh. Evidenced by challenges where she'd give up and start helping out Josh. That probably would have pissed off a lot of people.

With Shay, they did try to get her out but Jordie was also a huge endurance beast too and they probably thought he was too dangerous to get out. I think the Juicy Dave vote was where they could have gotten Shay out instead, so yeah that was a clear blunder on Josh's part.

Hoping they just have a regular season but i think they'll stick with themes from now on to get people more interested I guess. So I wonder what theme they'll go with next.

Fans vs Faves
Millennials vs Gen X
White Collar vs Blue Collar (vs pink collar)
Heroes vs Villains (maybe a bit too soon?)
Second Chance (Pherhaps too soon too)

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Chrissy's edit didn't totally go unnotice. She had probably more confessionals than Mark had. Chrissy did play one heck of a social game, but she was too public about her close relationship with Josh. Evidenced by challenges where she'd give up and start helping out Josh. That probably would have pissed off a lot of people.

With Shay, they did try to get her out but Jordie was also a huge endurance beast too and they probably thought he was too dangerous to get out. I think the Juicy Dave vote was where they could have gotten Shay out instead, so yeah that was a clear blunder on Josh's part.

Hoping they just have a regular season but i think they'll stick with themes from now on to get people more interested I guess. So I wonder what theme they'll go with next.

Fans vs Faves
Millennials vs Gen X
White Collar vs Blue Collar (vs pink collar)
Heroes vs Villains (maybe a bit too soon?)
Second Chance (Pherhaps too soon too)
That’s true, I was surprised that Chrissie and Josh were so open about helping each other. I thought that might get more noses out of joint than it did.

The Dave vote was a strange one. Even he knew that he wasn’t the biggest threat at that point!

The Blood vs Water theme was okay, although I’m not sure it added heaps in the end. It does add an element, although to be honest I found that for quite a lot of the season the alliances were less stable, and sometimes just less clear, than normal. I think the family loyalty element meant that some people may have hedged their bets a bit early on, and/or created changes of alliances around merge time. I wasn’t even sure who I was barracking for a lot of the time, which isn’t a massive limitation, but equally isn’t a great sign as I see it.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen it, but you might enjoy Talking Tribal on TenPlay. Lots of strategy chat, and they recommended a number of other global Survivor series to check out.