Discussion 2019: Super Early Player & SC Game Change Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cats assistant Matthew Knights said "...…….we should’ve performed better as a midfield group last year (2018)"……….he was relishing the prospect of a fully fit Dangerfield. Splitting more time in attack in the first half of 2018, Dangerfield appears back to his best in his first fortnight back on the track...…….."There's no question with the back ailment and the interruptions he had, he'd be the first to say it hindered his play at times,
He's come back in amazing shape. Some of his explosion in the drills we've been doing and the capacity to get around guys and feed his teammates has been awesome so far."

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-12-05/constable-looking-for-midfield-break
Watch our for that explosion!

AFL Club
Essendon
Does anyone know why CD increases the starting prices every year?

In 8 years time its going to cost 500k for a guy who averaged 83 the year before (85k more than what 83 is priced at during the year)

AFL Club
Collingwood

In 8 years time its going to cost 500k for a guy who averaged 83 the year before (85k more than what 83 is priced at during the year)
don't they increase our starting salary though as well ?

or has it something to do when they raised the prices of the rookies drafted 1 - 18 ?

AFL Club
Melbourne

They don’t increase starting prices in SC. Perhaps in “Dream Team / Fantasy” or whatever that other competition is called, but in SC the salary cap stays the same and prices are just based on the previous years average.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I tried to Google the answer and had no luck.

But I did come across something interesting, how Champion Data captures the stats, click on the video:
https://www.championdata.com/index.php/sport/afl.html

AFL Club
Essendon
don't they increase our starting salary though as well ?

or has it something to do when they raised the prices of the rookies drafted 1 - 18 ?
They don’t increase starting prices in SC. Perhaps in “Dream Team / Fantasy” or whatever that other competition is called, but in SC the salary cap stays the same and prices are just based on the previous years average.
The salary cap stays at $10 million a year but the starting prices in SC have been increasing the past few years from $5395 per point in 2016 to $5442 per point in 2017 to $5497 per point in 2018. On my estimate the starting price will be the average X $5558 next season, someone on here has a more specific number that's very similar. You might be correct Herbie they might have started upping the starting prices when they started different prices for high drafted rookies but I've heard others speculate that it's based on an estimation of players increase in scores (not sure I understand how that works).

Edit: That someone was you Herbie :)

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
The salary cap stays at $10 million a year but the starting prices in SC have been increasing the past few years from $5395 per point in 2016 to $5442 per point in 2017 to $5497 per point in 2018. On my estimate the starting price will be the average X $5558 next season, someone on here has a more specific number that's very similar. You might be correct Herbie they might have started upping the starting prices when they started different prices for high drafted rookies but I've heard others speculate that it's based on an estimation of players increase in scores (not sure I understand how that works).
I am not sure to be honest , each game is still only capped at 3,300 so theoretically each player that plays average is 75.

You would assume that each club has the same numbers on its list + rookies each year so I have no idea , maybe Rowsus or Thanh knows how all works.

I do know that the Top draftees were a lot cheaper a few seasons ago.

AFL Club
Fremantle

I'll have a crack. They are trying to replicate the actual salary cap available in the real game which goes up each year. They assign each player an average based on certain criteria, i.e discount for not many games played, draftee, rookie draft, last years average etc. Each player is then assigned a percentage of the whole group. They are then given an allocation of the total salary cap based on that percentage. o_O
Simples.

AFL Club
West Coast

Edit: That someone was you Herbie :)
What I find interesting is the formula they use to price rookies. I am not sure how they work out the price of the top priced draft pick but once they set that number the price drops for draftees below that seems pretty consistent. Bit like a handicapper works his way down from the topweight in a race.

Eg Number 1 Drafted Rookie is priced at X

3 will be X less 9k
5 will be 9k less than 3
10 will be 22k less than 5
13 will be 14k less than 10
17 will be 18k less than 13

then once you hit around pick 20 it becomes a range between 125k and $117.

fodzilla

Rising Star Nominee
The "magic number" is a function of the total averages of all players in the league. This is why it deflates to 5000 or so over the first half of the season as rookies debut and score beyond their nominal averages, and I believe feeds into the starting MN as well, based on the prior season.

AFL Club
Collingwood
dont know if anyones interested but doc supercoach has a planner out on his facebook page you just have to donate 2$ to cancer council and he emails you the link

AFL Club
Collingwood
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-08/wheres-your-club-at?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed:+AFL+Latest+News

Where's your club at? Pre-season plans, injuries and more
(some player of interest extracted from the article below)
……….Injury list...……..Brad Crouch: The good news story of the pre-season. The unlucky midfielder is making positive progress from groin surgery in June. He's been running strongly and getting through most of the training. On track to play in the JLT Community Series...……Brodie Smith: The dynamic half-back flanker is in great nick and back to full training, having played in rounds 20-21 in his return from a torn ACL. Smith credited physio Steve Saunders for teaching him hip-strengthening exercises for the ongoing management of his knee...…….Matthew Kreuzer: Fully recovered from his heart issues, having had his 2018 season ended early. He's now back in full training and is completing every session with the main group......….Will Setterfield: The new recruit is still recovering from an ACL injury, sustained during last season's JLT Community Series. He remains in the rehab group, though the Blues expect him to resume full training shortly after Christmas...…….Jeremy Howe: Howe is able to run, but not join in any contact work until late January following a shoulder operation at the end of the season......….Joe Daniher: Daniher has looked a little proppy at training since the club resumed its pre-season campaign, with the key forward still recovering from the osteitis pubis that ruined his 2018 campaign. The Bombers hope he will be back training with the main group in January...…….Devon Smith: The Bombers have given Smith some time on the sidelines at the start of this pre-season after a taxing year in 2018 that saw him play every game. He had endured a tough run of knee injuries prior to this year...…….Toby Greene: The good news is that the star is out of the hard cast and has his ankle in a moon boot after surgery last month. The Giants remain hopeful he'll be running in January...…..Josh Kelly: Will be on a modified program for the rest of the year because of hip surgery, but Kelly is confident his groin issues are fixed. Has been doing rehab at the club for weeks...…..Lachie Whitfield: This year's club champion had minor knee surgery but returned to the club before he was required and has started running, with a view to being back at full intensity before Christmas...…..Grant Birchall: Birchall won't exactly be on a modified program, but won't complete "100 per cent" of the pre-season either, in his own words. His problematic right knee, which wiped out this year and much of 2017, has come good, but a "smarter" program is in place for him...…..Tom Mitchell: Mitchell underwent minor surgery shortly after his Brownlow Medal triumph to repair his injured right AC joint. But he reported for pre-season duty early, joining the first-to-fourth-year players before they trekked the Kokoda Trail, and hasn't missed a beat to allay fears of a delayed start...…….Christian Petracca: Went in for a knee operation at the end of the year and as a result is in the rehab group. Running laps, but won't resume contact work until after getting back from the Christmas break...…….Clayton Oliver: Had surgery on both of his shoulders and, like many others, won't get into work with the main group until after Christmas. Running and moving well in rehab...…...Robbie Gray: The four-time All Australian had a minor clean-out of his right knee at the end of the season. The champion forward/midfielder is on a modified program in his 13th pre-season given his groin troubles in the past...…….Lance Franklin: The superstar had surgery after the groin injury he suffered late in the season didn't heal as fast as the Swans had hoped. Franklin won't hit the track until the new year...…...….Callum Mills: The gun youngster is back from his broken foot and while the Swans will take it slowly, Mills is running well and taking part in competitive drills......….Josh Kennedy: Had surgery on his left shoulder after the Grand Final and won't do contact work until the new year but has been sighted on the track kicking at goal and in light skills...…..Nic Naitanui: Has been out completing rehab exercises on-field and is ahead of where he was last time after his second knee reconstruction. Aiming for a mid-season comeback...…..Elliot Yeo: Bullocking midfielder needed a toe operation after the Grand Final and is part of the group who are expected to ramp things up in January. Was on the track briefly in sneakers on Wednesday...…….Jason Johannisen: Renowned for his power running from half-back, the 26-year-old had a minor operation to address a hip injury that he managed through the back end of the season. He will gradually build his training loads into next year...…….(there's much more in the article).

Last edited:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
^Thabks Bermi, very helpful info! Narrows it down for those who eliminate anyone with an interrupted pre-season ...

AFL Club
Essendon
1. Brodie Grundy (Coll) $708,200 ruck (av 130.5)
2. Tom Mitchell (Haw) $700,800 mid (av 129.1)
3. Max Gawn (Melb) $692,100 ruc (av 127.5)
4. Jack Macrae (WB) $689,700 mid (av 127.1)
5. Patrick Dangerfield (Geel) $660,500 mid/fwd (av 121.7)
6. Patrick Cripps (Carl) $648,200 mid (av 119.4)
7. Clayton Oliver (Melb) $622,700 (av 114.7)
8. Nat Fyfe (Frem) $618,100 (av 113.9)
9. Josh Kelly (GWS) $617,800 (av 113.8)
10. Jake Lloyd (Syd) $608,200 def (av 112.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.