Position 2022: Ruck Discussion

Which of the following 2 are leading the race for your starting R1 and R2...?

• Max Gawn

Votes: 66 41.8%
  • Sean Darcy

Votes: 46 29.1%
  • Nic Naitanui

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Brodie Grundy

Votes: 125 79.1%
  • Rowan Marshall

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Reilly O'Brien

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Oscar McInerney

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Jarrod Witts

Votes: 18 11.4%
  • Braydon Preuss

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Scott Lycett, Tim English, Matthew Flynn or Luke Jackson

Votes: 21 13.3%

• Total voters
AFL Club
West Coast
This is what I like about this site, people willing to give there time and effort with an unbiased slant in response to questions/statements, so thank you.

I'm not trying to convince anyone about my take on things, it's more about establishing in my own mind that my strategy might have some merit, so to just counterpoint some of your points.

A fallback position for me if Witts goes down ( a big man coming back off an ACL certainly has risk attached) then I can drop say a Sicily type down to a performing rookie and get one of the big dogs as R1 (I'm happy to use Preuss in this role if he's rolling ok) so 2 trades for the Sicily solution as against 1 for Preuss. Of course I don't have to use Sicily if he's performing well, there will probably be an underperforming premo in my team anyway.

I have Mitchell, Walsh, Petracca, Jelly and Neale in the mids with Lloyd back and Dunkley forward. There's certainly a cost in not having that R1 as a C option for those rounds until I can upgrade.

Coleman is an interesting one and his position in my team is completely reliant on him maintaining the role that he had for the last 3 rounds of the year where he averaged 85, I'd be stoked if he kept that up because, as you said, I'd only need a maxxed out rookie to trade both to a top defender, whereas I'd need 3 rookies at least to achieve the same outcome. It's exactly the same line of thought that I'm using for Rioli, in 5 of his last 6 games he averaged 91 (excluding a 54 because of 7 clangers). The combined benefit of those 2 players over rookies is possibly 65 points/round for around the same cash generation as well as using 2-3 less trades in turning them into premo defenders, the other advantage that those 2 provide is the DPP flexibility in tandem with De Koning, Skinner and Kelly. Cogs to me is a no brainer.

The combination of Cogs, Rioli and Coleman replacing rookies could be around 100 pts/rnd somewhat compensating for my weak ruckline, but come upgrade time (and with a bit of luck) I could add a premo/week using just 2 trades/week for 4 weeks hopefully putting me ahead of the pack and only needing 5 more upgrades to complete my team.

I'm relying on 5 speculative picks to achieve averages that they have either proven to have done in the past or should do given the roles that they have been pegged for. I actually feel that I'm taking more risk with players like Sicily, Maynard, Heeney and Thomas (who aren't set in stone as picks yet)

You are welcome. I often kind of align SC with the stock market. One broker says a stock is a buy while a different broker says the same stock is a sell. They both look at the same data/numbers. It is just how they interpret that data and then extrapolate (word of the day) from that point.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Oscar McInerney, last year, finished very strongly as the solo ruckman. He attended more ruck contests in the last 10 games than any other ruckman. I'm wondering if Brisbane's new recruit, Darcy Fort from Geelong, will have an impact on McInerney's SC scoring?

AFL Club
Richmond
Oscar McInerney, last year, finished very strongly as the solo ruckman. He attended more ruck contests in the last 10 games than any other ruckman. I'm wondering if Brisbane's new recruit, Darcy Fort from Geelong, will have an impact on McInerney's SC scoring?
I don’t think he will play. Daniher will pinch hit in the ruck.

AFL Club
West Coast
https://www.lions.com.au/news/1048447/is-fort-the-missing-piece-to-the-lions-puzzle-

Darcy Fort is set to play an important role for the Brisbane Lions in 2022.

The former Cat only arrived in Brisbane last month but is already impressing with his work rate and craft work.

The 28-year-old will look to provide support for big man Oscar McInerney this season, after the 'Big O' shouldered much of the ruck load for Brisbane last year.

Speaking on Fort's arrival, McInerney said he was excited about the prospect of forming a partnership with the new Lion.

"Darcy coming along has been great," he said.

"It's nice to have another big boy out on the track to work alongside and wrestle in the contest.

"It's been great to pick his brain about what he's learnt in his journey and to ruck against him. I'm really hoping we can form a good duo this year."

On the possibility of the two playing in the same side, Chris Fagan sounded optimistic.

"It'll be good for Oscar to have an experienced ruckman in the group that can help him out," Fagan said.

"He shouldered a lot of the load for us last year and Darcy's at a good age for ruckman, he's a handy forward and he's going to help us a great deal."

Fagan also said to Lions Media that McInerney is tracking for an exciting 2022.

"He keeps growing and growing. He's probably one of our most professional players in terms of his craft, his gym work and his running is second to none.

"If he keeps going that way, at this rate he's tracking he'll become one of the really great ruckman of the competition and we're so grateful we have him at our club."

AFL Club
West Coast
Personally I see Fort as just ruck insurance/ a mature body that can do a job if the Big O misses games.

McStay & Daniher offer enough as the 2nd ruck / backup for the Big O, can't see the lions doing a restructure to fit Fort in also as it would unbalance the team - way too tall.

AFL Club
North Melb.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I remember similar things being said about Saints stop-gap Paul Hunter last year.

Tore up the SANFL; played 7 games at AFL level and averaged 50 SC and was not viable as a ruck or an SC pick really.
Intended to post about Hayes eventually to open up discussion in case Lycett is out for an extended period as he is heading into the final years of his career and the following reminded me of and provided a great opportunity to do so. No emphasis needs to be placed on the SANFL scoring and both Hunter and Hayes are at different stages of their development and careers.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Hunter, Meek and Flynn ruck line last year to start proceedings. :sick:
Same deal here. But by luck I had Hunter on the bench and found myself ranked 29th overall after R2, so at that stage it looked like a genius move!

Boy were we travelling, right up to the point where the wheels fell off and we lost the engine block out the back... :cry::ROFLMAO:

AFL Club
Adelaide
Same deal here. But by luck I had Hunter on the bench and found myself ranked 29th overall after R2, so at that stage it looked like a genius move!

Boy were we travelling, right up to the point where the wheels fell off and we lost the engine block out the back... :cry::ROFLMAO:
yeah, after round 1 was my highest ranking for the year, 1000 ish, lol.

Don't forget Daniel McStay - he was the main backup ruck last year, Tom Fullerton also played that role when McStay was injured.
No, McStay was never that role. Daniher was the main backup ruck. Fullarton played that role initially, got dropped (rightly so), Daniher took it over for the majority of the season, and then when Hipwood went down and Fullarton came back in he took the role back.

Fort may play initially until Hipwood gets back (though that might be sooner - apparently he's recovering well) and provide the chop out, but after that he is likely a pure backup for Oscar and Daniher goes back to a bare minimum chop out role.

AFL Club
Richmond
I'm thinking that the change of DPP status after round 6 might have a bearing on our starting sides. Does Marshall now become a legit choice given that he's likely to receive FWD status? Would Maxxy have 30% time FWD? Or would they be handy as upgrade targets?