Competitions Tour de France Fantasy 2023 - STAGE 21 - 115.5 KM - FLAT - Sun 23rd 11.59pm AEST

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Schultz and Pinot for Geschke and Powless?
Jersey points for each are as follows (×5 multiplier included):

Schultz 50
Pinot 160
Geschke 155
Powless 150

It is a 95 point gain just from jersey points. It's very hard to know who will get the maximum stage finish points in this stage, there are a lot who can take it out, probably better to focus on maximising jersey points and rely on WVA as C as most of us will. Assuming your selections get minimal points from a good stage result, the above seems a reasonable couple of trades.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for a good competition everyone, big thanks to @Beg2Differ for running this competition so well as usual, and it was great seeing some new faces here.

I think I have learned what not to do from previous years, and didn't make too many mistakes this time around. I was only ever leading this competition after one round, but it was the crucial one. I am a bit disappointed I never got the chance to upgrade my dud 5 point selection, due to having to use an additional trade than I had planned to mid competition, but at least it didn't cost me victory (it nearly did). Very happy to get the win, I think it's the first individual competition I have won here at SCS.

Hope to see you all back again next year, although you can stick around for all the other fantasy sports we follow here, there's plenty on offer, but we can always expand this selection. Maybe we could start a fantasy cycling league for the whole season - it seems like there would be enough interest.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Congratulations @Ironhawk on winning the 2022 SCS Tour de France Fantasy Competition. Great to see a major contributor to the site getting up.

View attachment 46431
Thanks again for running this. One thing I noticed is that I didn't make a trade in Stage 20, not sure where that has come from, maybe the time bonus? I only had 9 trades total (I only just earned enough points from the quiz for one bonus trade).

Looking back at that round history, it is kind of surprising I managed to win despite never captaining the overall winner. I guess he was consistently good, but only won the two stages.

I managed 560 points for the cost of 4 trades across the 14 rounds between trading Philipsen out and back in. Such a waste there. Should have just held onto him and used those trades elsewhere.

1 point per stage for Petit. Great selection.

Not sure why I took a punt on Bardet rather than Thomas, who looked in better form at the time, held onto him for too long as well after it was pretty clear Thomas would finish 3rd.

Apart from that, I still did enough to win, with a non-perfect strategy. I'll admit I probably got a bit lucky, but I'll take it. Now to go back to back next year!

AFL Club
North Melb.
Thanks again for running this. One thing I noticed is that I didn't make a trade in Stage 20, not sure where that has come from, maybe the time bonus? I only had 9 trades total (I only just earned enough points from the quiz for one bonus trade).
The way I wrote the formula counted the Time Selected score in round 20 as a trade. Fixed now.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Jersey points for each are as follows (×5 multiplier included):

It is a 95 point gain just from jersey points. It's very hard to know who will get the maximum stage finish points in this stage, there are a lot who can take it out, probably better to focus on maximising jersey points and rely on WVA as C as most of us will. Assuming your selections get minimal points from a good stage result, the above seems a reasonable couple of trades.
That must've been the Royal most of us, sneaking in Phillipsen as captain! lol

Thanks for a good competition everyone, big thanks to @Beg2Differ for running this competition so well as usual, and it was great seeing some new faces here.
I agree, great job @beg2differ, playing this was a fantastic respite from the maniac conundrums of SC.

Hope to see you all back again next year, although you can stick around for all the other fantasy sports we follow here, there's plenty on offer, but we can always expand this selection. Maybe we could start a fantasy cycling league for the whole season - it seems like there would be enough interest.
Yep you can count me in again, I think this years racing has been the best since the fights between Contador and Schleck in the noughties! Of course that is all subjective to us all! lol
Now that SBS covers the Tours of Italy and Spain live, it makes it more compelling of a reason to start at least a grand tour season?
Of course this would be subject to @Beg2Differ's time frame and availability I'm sure? Does Tissot do this for the other tours?

And @Ironhawk Congrats on your victory mate, I didn't find it easy as a rookie player to play this game but like all fantasy games, the connection to the game, along with the chat about the game makes it all the more special.
Rule number one for me for next year, is too not try and pick the team 8 hours or less before the start of the race! lol

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thanks especially to the likes of @Beg2Differ , @Ironhawk and @7/11 for their contributions and assistance across the Tour De France which has been extremely helpful for those of us like myself that unfortunately have not watched any action.

Finished the tour with five podium finishes (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 3rd) in the final five stages for a final ranking of 7th within our league which I am ecstatic with, given my start to the tour.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
That must've been the Royal most of us, sneaking in Phillipsen as captain! lol
I thought someone might have picked up on that. :ROFLMAO: I had suggested bringing in a sprinter with my original suggested trades, but still wasn't convinced it was the right option.

I had a bad feeling WVA may do the "whole team rides to the line together" thing rather than go for the win, being on the team of the winner. I was also a bit lucky to select the right sprinter with my last trade in.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Vuelta started last night for anybody who hadn’t realised. It is being televised on SBS.
Saw the first stage was a team time trial, which I'm not a fan of, so didn't bother with it. This stage profile looked pretty boring too. I might start watching over the next few stages, and just catch the highlights of the stages I miss. Got a few early starts coming up, so probably will miss more stages than I see unfortunately.

I was hoping they updated the Tour Tracker app for the Vuelta like they did last year, but doesn't look like it will be.

16 Aussies in the race this year, that would have to be close to the most ever. I can't remember any other tours with that many.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Saw the first stage was a team time trial, which I'm not a fan of, so didn't bother with it. This stage profile looked pretty boring too. I might start watching over the next few stages, and just catch the highlights of the stages I miss. Got a few early starts coming up, so probably will miss more stages than I see unfortunately.

I was hoping they updated the Tour Tracker app for the Vuelta like they did last year, but doesn't look like it will be.

16 Aussies in the race this year, that would have to be close to the most ever. I can't remember any other tours with that many.
The following app has essentially the same functionality as the SBS tour tracker and includes the Vuelta.

1661007342664.png

AFL Club
Hawthorn
It was good that an Aussie, Jay Vine won the latest stage of the Vuelta, in the first mountain top finish. He has been in good form this year, but not quite getting wins. There was so much mist/fog that you couldn't see him cross the line, lucky he won in a breakaway or we would have no idea who won!

AFL Club
Hawthorn
The route for the 2023 Tour has been released.

View: https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1585581067444146176

Lots of climbing.

I know there are a few cycling fans here, but would there be any interest in a year long cycling fantasy competition next year? I know there are some competitions available online, which I haven't tried out myself, but happy to create one from scratch similar to the darts competition if they aren't suitable, if there would be enough interest.

Edit: Guess there isn't.

Last edited: