Revealed: The likely Round 19 fixture as AFL scrambles to navigate COVID minefield
The AFL is close to locking in its re-jigged Round 19 fixture.
Foxfooty.com.au understands the league will make it official on Monday afternoon, likely with some the specific timings of Sunday‘s games still to be determined.
In total, three matches have been flipped from Round 20 forwards to Round 19 to accommodate border closures.
This is the likely fixture:
Port Adelaide v Collingwood (Adelaide Oval)
Carlton v North Melbourne (Marvel Stadium)
Brisbane v Gold Coast (GABBA)
West Coast v St Kilda (Optus Stadium)
Adelaide v Hawthorn (Adelaide Oval)
Melbourne v Western Bulldogs (MCG)
Sydney v Fremantle (Metricon Stadium)
Geelong v Richmond (MCG)
Essendon v GWS (Metricon Stadium)
Some key notes
– Hawthorn’s game is set to begin at 6.10 local time to allow for the club to fly in and out of Adelaide on the same day.
– The Hawks and Pies will need to gain exemptions from the South Australian government before travelling into the state and test negative after they arrive and before the first bounce
– Gold Coast v Brisbane will be hastened from Round 20 to Round 19.
– Geelong v Richmond is almost certain to be the mid-afternoon game on Sunday due to allow for the double header at Metricon Stadium on either side of it.
– Carlton v North Melbourne was originally scheduled for Sunday afternoon but is now set for the early Saturday afternoon time slot
– The AFL is remaining steadfast in its rejection of Geelong’s request to play its match against Richmond at GMHBA Stadium. The league believes a precedent was set when Essendon asked to move its Round 1 fixture from Marvel Stadium to the MCG and will not budge.
Fans loved him, opposing fans loved to hate him. For mine had one great career highlight but otherwise overrated. Kept putting up big numbers but I refused to trade him in, sure it was just a streak. Like most players he went on too long. Teammates begged him to retire on a high but he refused and ended up getting subbed off in a losing grand final.