Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Realistically which option is better in the long run

Fyfe + rookie + rookie
Vs
Libba + sheed + Moore

Personally I’m not worried about initial keepers more about points

If in the first 6 rounds they average (tell me if you think this is unreasonable) do you think a rookie can average 70?

Fyfe 120 + rookie 70 + rookie 70 = 190 x 6 = 1140 (inconsistent scores throughout due to rookies, but a keeper)

Sheed 95 + Libba 85 + Moore 80 = 190 x 6 =1140 (More consistent)
There is a problem with the general equation. It probably doesn't affect the on field points you have put there, but it does affect the notion you are dealing with.

Where you say: MP + MP + CPR* or Fyfe + R70 + R70, when you look at the equation it's like you are looking at top end Rookies. In reality, you already have those top end Rookies, so your R70's are actually something like the 13th and 14th Rookies in your team, not the 1st and 2nd. Even though the 13th/14th won't be on the field, it is those "worrying" last picked Rookies that belong in that equation, as they are actually the ones replacing those MP's and CPR* in your team, and are very unlikely to score 70's.
Under that scenario, keep the MP's and the CPR*.

*CPR = Cheap Psuedo Rookie

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Interrupted pre-season aside, does anyone have a good reason as to why Zac Merrett isn't a great value pick this season? In JLT2 he came on in the second quarter and racked up a ton of disposals in a short period of time and looked to be moving very well. I think the incusion of Shiel might also free him up of being the primary target of a tag (and he ended up dealing with taggers anyway during the back half of last season). I don't think he's the type that will ever go huge but in terms of constant scoring and minimum games being missed, he still seems like super value regardless of his ankle issues in the pre-season which seem to be resolved.
I’m not that confident on our season prospects...

Interrupted season probably means he starts slow. So better trade in

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Are people avoiding Macrae simply because of his price?

Personally I think he can actually average 120+ and will be very hard to reach with the Dogs easy start to the year if you don’t start him.

There is more competition in their midfield this year but he didn’t even seem to step out of 2nd gear in JLT and still averaged 123.5.

The Bulldogs play Sydney, Hawthorn, GC, Collingwood, Carlton, Fremantle, Richmond, Brisbane in their first 8.

Macrae’s scores last year against these teams:
103, N/A, 189, 102, 141, 110, 98, 163, 156

Average: 132.63

If you don’t start him I’d want to get him by round 7 when they face Richmond.

He has scored 163 and 117 in his last two against them and then goes to Ballarat where he has played 3 games and scored:

145, 189, 147 for a 159 average.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood

Personally I think he can actually average 120+ and will be very hard to reach with the Dogs easy start to the year if you don’t start him.

There is more competition in their midfield this year but he didn’t even seem to step out of 2nd gear in JLT and still averaged 123.5.

The Bulldogs play Sydney, Hawthorn, GC, Collingwood, Carlton, Fremantle, Richmond, Brisbane in their first 8.

He has scored 163 and 117 in his last two against them and then goes to Ballarat where he has played 3 games and scored:

Yes, this is the only reason for me. Hard to pay that much for someone with around 1.5 seasons of premium scoring and a heap of other contenders for mid time. If he was priced at 110 (because of a concussion or the like) I'd just lock him in.

AFL Club
GWS Giants

I'm not avoiding him at all, will be a big part of my starting squad.

AFL Club
Hawthorn

I have him at the moment and am trying resist trading him down to another premo to an Oliver for a little cash grab.

There are not many players who I fear could be season breakers but Macrae is one. I did a little analysis of player averages Using just their top 6 scores over last 2 years.

Amongst the mids there are seven players who sit above the pack using this average - Danger, Macrae, Cripps, Kelly, Sloane, Fyfe and Dusty in that order.

I’m currently running 5 of them and am trying to work out a way to get Sloane in as the sixth (Kelly I’ll target as an upgrade).

AFL Club
Carlton

Yep he has a great early run. Any side I make without him looks incomplete. Fyfe also has a great first few rounds (North, Gold Coast, St Kilda in his first three weeks). Fully fit and that's potentially 400 to 450 points in the first three weeks alone.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Yep he has a great early run. Any side I make without him looks incomplete. Fyfe also has a great first few rounds (North, Gold Coast, St Kilda in his first three weeks). Fully fit and that's potentially 400 to 450 points in the first three weeks alone.
I am a huge Fyfe fan but i think there's quite a bit against him this year, somewhat more so than the last couple of seasons.

- Sandilands no ETA on return. Fyfe's best 2 seasons (2014/15) were when Sandilands played 21 games and was at his best. Is it a coincidence that Sandilands game count and Fyfe's scoring dropped at the same time?
- Just had surgery in the last week or two.
- No Neale and i think this will be very telling for Freo in general.
- Somewhat injury and suspension prone. Even in his best years of 120+ he only played 18 games.
- Team not on the improve.

Honestly i think it's likely he will average 110-115, however it is also likely he misses 2-5 games which brings his average way down. If he starts off with a bang and goes at 120+ in the first 7 games, do you call it or just hold on and hope he doesn't miss games? If i remember correctly, last season his injury wasn't supposed to be a 6 week injury so people held on for an extra week or two. For me, i would rather spend the extra on Macrae/Cripps/Neale or spend less on a Cogs/Dusty type.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
I am a huge Fyfe fan but i think there's quite a bit against him this year, somewhat more so than the last couple of seasons.

- Sandilands no ETA on return. Fyfe's best 2 seasons (2014/15) were when Sandilands played 21 games and was at his best. Is it a coincidence that Sandilands game count and Fyfe's scoring dropped at the same time?
- Somewhat injury and suspension prone. Even in his best years of 120+ he only played 18 games.

Honestly i think it's likely he will average 110-115, however it is also likely he misses 2-5 games which brings his average way down. If he starts off with a bang and goes at 120+ in the first 7 games, do you call it or just hold on and hope he doesn't miss games? If i remember correctly, last season his injury wasn't supposed to be a 6 week injury so people held on for an extra week or two. For me, i would rather spend the extra on Macrae/Cripps/Neale or spend less on a Cogs/Dusty type.
Remember that kid in the U/10's that ran around carrying the whole team collecting the ball at will that no one could really touch and team mates just looked on in awe.........well that's Fyfe this year.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The highest average midfielder last year outside of Mitchell was in a team that finished 6th last and won 8 games which is achievable for Fremantle this year.

They also have Lobb and Darcy so not that big of an issue missing Sandilands as both of those are suitable to tap it down Fyfe’s throat.

Also I don’t think Neale has ever been tagged in his career with Fyfe playing so it’s not like losing him is an issue with regards to getting tagged or not.

It’s more so if Fremantle aren’t winning heaps of games teams will worry even LESS about tagging Fyfe as it won’t matter if he collects 40 disposals and has 150sc if they’re losing

AFL Club
North Melb.
Remember that kid in the U/10's that ran around carrying the whole team collecting the ball at will that no one could really touch and team mates just looked on in awe.........well that's Fyfe this year.
The old one star player in a bottom 4 team trick hey...

maxwell smart.jpg

I'm still going to stick without him at the moment.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Are people picking Brayshaw? Just realized he's at 18%

+Had a preseason unlike last year
+Looked great in the JLT
+Scope for improvement

-Viney influence, both he and Oliver dropped off a bit when he came in.
-Disposal, not a single score over 130 last year (4 130 scores in DT)
-Hasnt done it for a full season, nor showed the consistency. Not sure what happened to him in finals.

Just looking at his numbers.
JLT1: 11 marks, 28 kicks, 39 touches, 111 pts, 8% less tog than usual.
JLT2: 11 tackles, 26 touches, 3 goals. 126 pts. This looks like a 150 game.

I'm not sure I'm sold, think I prefer Taranto/Steele/Sloane but ownership says otherwise.

+Looked great in the JLT
+Scope for improvement

-Hasnt done it for a full season, nor showed the consistency. Not sure what happened to him in finals.

I'm not sure I'm sold, think I prefer Taranto/Steele/Sloane but ownership says otherwise.
I’m not picking him but I would ahead of the others you’ve mentioned.

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne

+Looked great in the JLT
+Scope for improvement

I’m not picking him purely due to his poor SC to DT ratio. If/when he cleans up his disposal he will be one of the best SC scorers in the league.