Opinion Player X vs. Player Y

AFL Club
Collingwood
@Connoisseur

Hi mate

I have a question (which I think you may have provided me in the past , unfortunately I did a search and can't find it ?)

Is it possible to get Fyfe's SC average in games with and without Sandilands please.

Cheers

AFL Club
Melbourne
SuperCoach averages and stats taken from footywire and usually inputted into a document and averages calculated using a Casio calculator. Yet to start utilising the same approach for previous seasons this season with the numerous fantasy competitions running,etc. Assume there is an easier and quicker way to efficiently complete all, but happy keeping the same setup.
This is amazing. I’m not sure how you manage to compile these extensive stats so quickly using what appears to be a fairly manual approach, but well done and keep up the good work ???

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
@Connoisseur

Hi mate

I have a question (which I think you may have provided me in the past , unfortunately I did a search and can't find it ?)

Is it possible to get Fyfe's SC average in games with and without Sandilands please.

Cheers
Didn’t have a good look then.:LOL:

Post 315 of Page 19 of the thread News-Injuries and Suspensions. Now updated with 2019 figures below.

2016 Avg without Sandi: 85 from 3
2017 Avg without Sandi: 115.55 from 11
2018 Avg without Sandi: 75.25 from 4
2019 Avg without Sandi: 123.33 from 15

Avg without Sandi since 2016: 111.42 from 33 (10/33 below 100, 17/33 120+)

Includes 2 injury affected games of a 43 and 53 which when excluded lifts his avg to 115.52 from 31 (8/31 below 100, 17/31 120+)

AFL Club
Collingwood
Didn’t have a good look then.:LOL:

Post 315 of Page 19 of the thread News-Injuries and Suspensions. Now updated with 2019 figures below.

2016 Avg without Sandi: 85 from 3
2017 Avg without Sandi: 115.55 from 11
2018 Avg without Sandi: 75.25 from 4
2019 Avg without Sandi: 123.33 from 15

Avg without Sandi since 2016: 111.42 from 33 (10/33 below 100, 17/33 120+)

Includes 2 injury affected games of a 43 and 53 which when excluded lifts his avg to 115.52 from 31 (8/31 below 100, 17/31 120+)
My apologies I need to expand my search parameters to include Post and Page number as well as "Fyfe without Sandilands".

Thank you so much

Congratulations on being part of the Leadership Team , thoroughly well deserved and great recognition for the information/stats you provide here

Incredible effort.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My apologies I need to expand my search parameters to include Post and Page number as well as "Fyfe without Sandilands".

Thank you so much

Congratulations on being part of the Leadership Team , thoroughly well deserved and great recognition for the information/stats you provide here

Incredible effort.
Was on Page 5 of 10 when searching - Sandilands.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Was on Page 5 of 10 when searching - Sandilands.
My apologies , I will try and do better.

For some reason I always thought his average was terrible without Sandilands , although almost a third < 100 ? or nearly a quarter without the injury affected games.

Too early to think football , back to Big Bash.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Possibly biased in this one, but I prefer Sicily. Depends how much of a risk taker you are and how much variation you want from your score each week.

Laird is a lot of a safer bet and you know what you are getting every week - consistent 90-110 scores. I expect he'll probably be averaging slightly nearer the lower end of his range (95-100 ish), as I'm not sure about how good the Crows will be this year.

Sicily has a much larger range of scoring, sometimes role dependent, sometimes he just has shockers. These bad games seem to be getting less common now and barring injuries I would expect he spends a lot of time this season in his higher scoring defender role. He has a higher ceiling and lower floor on his scoring compared to Laird, expect to be frustrated with him at times if you do select him, but I'm expecting (hoping?) for an average in the 100-105 range (which will be inconsistent - 70 one week, 140 the next).
Since his breakout post bye in 2017 he has only managed 7 games below 18 disposals from 46 matches with 5 of those occurring post bye 2019.
SC avg since post bye 2017: 96.72 from 46
SC avg when disposals equal/exceed 18 since post bye 2017: 104.56 from 39 (3/39 below 80, 17/39 below 100, 9/39 120+)
SC avg when disposals below 18 since post bye 2017: 53 from 7 (5/7 below 65, 7/7 below 80)

AFL Club
Essendon
Good stats and they sure make Lairds 108 season while Adelaide were winning and B.Smith was out seem like an outlier to me.

I think Laird will always be a solid pick while being their main distributer out of the backline and even if he pushes up the wing more as has been talked about this preseason, I just think people should not be expecting the 108 average, but I think if you pick him as a 95-100 type player, you won't be disappointed.
This is a very good point. With Smith back maybe a 108 average is not something Laird can replicate simply by playing at the same level but perhaps Laird has another level in him? who knows. He's just a very very safe pick who I think would still have averaged low 100's if Smith was in the team in 2018 and I think he's still an underpriced player.

Sicily actually averaged 87 post bye which is more than I realised but I owned him for most of the season and he has a low floor even when playing in the back line just because he was put in a lock down role. I think those low scores show that he has some level of risk attached to him even though he should logically play in a different role next year. The issue is he's an injury away from being put in the other role and Frawley has proven to be somewhat injury prone lately.

At the moment I'll try to get Laird into my team ahead of him but I will settle on Sicily if I really need an extra 16k.

AFL Club
Essendon
SuperCoach averages and stats taken from footywire and usually inputted into a document and averages calculated using a Casio calculator. Yet to start utilising the same approach for previous seasons this season with the numerous fantasy competitions running,etc. Assume there is an easier and quicker way to efficiently complete all, but happy keeping the same setup.
I'm even more impressed knowing you do this all with a calculator! If you ever are so inclined, there are certain ways to do it in Excel automatically, but seems like you've got a great system going.

AFL Club
Geelong
Not much talk of C.Daniel or L.Ryan as D1/D2 options at this stage.

Luke is capable of some big scores and is only a 50 game player, should be some room for improvement.

I quite like Daniel as an option with the Bulldogs draw, he collects a lot of the ball and the coach seems to value his ball use enough to look the other way on those outrageous 1 v 1 marking contests he sometimes finds himself in (much to the despair of some fans lol). Watching him play, they do look for him as that safe option who always seems to be between centre square and that back 50 mopping up/receiving short passes.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Essendon
Not much talk of C.Daniel or L.Ryan as D1/D2 options at this stage.

Luke is capable of some big scores and is only a 50 game player, should be some room for improvement.

I quite like Daniel as an option with the Bulldogs draw, he collects a lot of the ball and the coach seems to value his ball use enough to look the other way on those outrageous 1 v 1 marking contests he sometimes finds himself in (much to the despair of some fans lol). Watching him play, they do look for him as that safe option who always seems to be between centre square and that back 50 mopping up/receiving short passes.

Just wondering if there is enough upside in these blokes at their current prices.
Luke Ryan I wouldn't consider with the dreaded R13 bye. I'm avoiding all except the exceptional players with that bye.

AFL Club
Richmond
Ahh mate c'mon, give him a second chance!

You get better at playing with fire with each burn, that's how the saying goes doesn't it :ROFLMAO:
In 2018 i used my second last trade to get Luke Ryan, he averaged about 60odd while i owned him and got injured a month later, used my last trade to get him out.

Replaced him with Witherden, who did his hammy after being in my team for 10 minutes.

He's on the never again list with Jacobs and Rocky.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bont v Dunkley
Roberton v Doedee
Dunkley & Doedee

I had to make the same decision between the two Dogs early in the season last year and went for Bont, Dunkley went much better of the two after that. Bont was also the more likely of the two to be tagged, despite not being as impactful in SC as Dunkley. One of my frustrations of last year was not being able to get Dunkley into my team after that, waiting for him to get a bit cheaper. Bont was fine last year, but not as good. His main benefit is the price difference, but I would lash out the extra, as Dunkley still has some upside from being played forward in the first few games last season.

I wish Roberton all the best, but I know a lot were hyping him last season before he had his health issues. That is a major career ending risk you are taking if you select him and I personally think it's a matter of when, rather than if something happens again (Note: I have zero medical training). Not for me, if you want to take that risk he will possibly outscore Doedee if both are fully fit.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Bont v Dunkley
Roberton v Doedee
Dunkley is probably a safer pick, as the Doggies now know what a fantastic midfielder he is, while Bont is always a risk of being moved forward to provide a dangerous target, or even to break a tag (whereas Dunks is a fairly average forward, and will never get tagged).

Doeds 100%, Roberton has had too many setbacks.