Opinion Questions For Rowsus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi Rowsus,

I've decided I'm very likely to trade out dusty and maybe heeney. So far I'm liking swapping for neale and t.kelly.

Haven't used any trades and got the rookies. I'm a little under 400 points behind the leader, with playing wrong rookies and not nailing my captain. So feel good about the team.
Question is regarding LDU. Drop 2 prems and bring in what looks like 2 better prems, or 1 trade and drop dusty to LDU and leave cash in the bank for upgrading?
Any opinion would be much appreciated.
Hi Torress,
if you've got the right Rookies, then let LDU go, and "upgrade" your two problems. We don't need all the Rookies, as long as we have most of the good ones, and the most of the next tier, that's usually good enough, to start with.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thanks for your help, Rowsus. I find that I can easily agree and I'll hold Heeney and Simpson, and I'll aim to pick up some cheap early upgrades and hopefully Lloyd will drop in price.
Happy to help, Eagling.
I must admit, I'm starting to waiver in my resolve on Heeney.
I've got a strong feeling he plays this week, gives us another 70-75, and then is rested next week, due to the 5 day break.
Under that circumstance, if it turns out to be right, I would bump the bad scenario %'s up a little, and say you now need to find a player that will average around 100, to be considered a break even trade, obviously depending on what Heeney's future scores actually produce.
With that in mind, I'm strongly leaning towards Heeney ---> T Kelly.
History tells us, that Horse will play his players hurt. Look at what happened with Buddy last season, when Horse came out after the season and said something along the lines of "Buddy did ok, for a guy that basically didn't train for the whole season".
What if we are looking at a similar scenario here?
I reckon a 75 this week, and missing next week might even be a 60% chance. Working on the basis, that that will happen, I'm more inclined to trade him now.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi Rowsus,

What are your thoughts on LDU? I feel like he could be quite a good scorer but don’t have a very good avenue to him outside of possibly Brad Crouch who has been performing quite well (albeit doesn’t look like a keeper).

I have $3,000 in the bank, 30 trades and my team currently looks like:

D: Whitfield, Williams, Moore, Collins, Scrimshaw, Duursma (Clark, Hore)

M: Cripps, Fyfe, Cogs, M.Crouch, Steele, B.Crouch, Walsh, Constable (Butters, Scott, Gibbons)

R: Gawn, Goldy (Bines)

F: Danger, Heeney, Dunkley, Darling, Drew, Parker (Setterfield, Balta)

I had a stinker of a week so want to put a watch on Heeney, Dunkley, Goldy for a week or two and make sure they still appear to be the keepers I wanted to be (note: Goldy will be coming out sooner rather than Later for Grundy if I can though).

Looks like I’ve missed Smith and Rockliff so will have to let those two ride. Kelly and Crisp also in my calculations if Heeney misses this week potentially.

Thanks heaps for your help!
Hi qi,
I don't see LDU as a must have. If you have enough of the good Rookies, I think you'd be crazy to burn B Crouch to get him. While LDU will likely make more money, I don't think the difference in dollar generation is worth burning that trade. Crouch's B/E is only 47, and he's pretty much lived up to what you should have expected from him. No need to jump ship, when he's doing his job, and you only have 2 games info on LDU. Missing Smith is nothing to worry about, and all of us in the non-Rocky camp just need to hold our breath, each time he plays!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey Old Pal,
I don't have Constable and cant decide if i need to trade to get him or not.

My Midfield - Cripps, Fyfe, Congilio, Treloar, Rocky, B.Crouch, Libba, Walsh ( Scott, Atkins, Gibbons)

Other rookies i have are Def- Clark, Dursmaa, Schrimshaw, Burgees, Hore. FWD- Setterfield, Parker, Drew.
Dont have any DPP links to get him so would have to move on a mid and my options that im looking at are,

1/ Crouch down to Constable (was looking at Crouch upgrade around byes) would leave me cash to upgrade else where sooner

2/ one of the 4 mid rookies sideways or down (Walsh)

3/ Just suck it up! i missed him and move on.

Is his cash gen a must have ?? or do i have enough from the others ?
Hey Old Buddy,
looks like our two teams are playing off for the Disappointment Cup this week. I'd say good luck, but I really want the Dees to come good, and beat your team.

Drew, Parker, Constable, LDU, Duursma, Butters, Scott, Clark, Scrimshaw, Miers, Atkins, Rozee

That's a list of the bubble boys, in B/E order, for the ones that have a B/E of -40 or better.
You also have Walsh at -31.

I must admit, it looks slightly on the skinny side. I'm not sure it is wise to be without all 3 of Constable, Butters and LDU. If you had one of them, it wouldn't look too bad. On the flip side to that thought, you have 3 or 4 Midpricers, that look like generating some revenue as well. Hopefully at least one of them can carry through for you. Without those 4 Midpricers, I'd say you need to get Constable in, but given they can carry a bit of the funds generation you need, I'd say, just let Constable go. The best option to get him, imo, is to upgrade Gibbons, but I don't think you get your full trades worth, in doing that.
Good luck ;)

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Rowsus.
Pretty sure it was you who 12-24 months ago floated the idea of Lycett as a solid F6 option. If he could average high 80's low 90's, and then cover for your ruck.
Thought about it for this season?

Especially with the average forward bunch
lappinitup.
I certainly have been a strong advocate, in previous seasons, of a R/F cover, even if he eventually moves to F7.
Lycett's history is littered with good scores (though nothing like his 167 last week), and very poor scores. Lot's of 30's, 40's and 50's and then that infamous 2 late in the season in 2016!
I see him continuing that sort of pattern, and worry about how Port structure up, when Dixon returns. I think the biggest problem with considering Lycett now is, you have almost certainly missed the cherry on his cake. Even if he went 21/88 for the season, which he might possibly struggle to do, depending on when Dixon is back, he only goes 19/85 from here. You'd want to be getting at least 3-4+ games from his as Ruck cover, to justify that sort of return.
Well done to those that started him, but I think that bridge has been burnt by that big score.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey Row,

What are your thoughts on Rocky and Boak?

I looked closely at Rocky pre season but was just thrown off by his game count. Still a potential issue but appears to be fit.

Boak obviously won't score at 120 every week but 95 sees him as a decent priced keeper.

Would you suggest any of these trades or hold off?

Heeney to Boak & Setterfield to Moore

Heeney to Moore & Gibbons to Rocky

Thanks!
Hey BD,
they both scare me a little bit, but for different reasons.
Rocky has the potential to ruin your season, if you don't have him. I can't see him ruining your season, if you do have him, as long as you are prepared to jump ship, at the first sign of trouble. My structure really doesn't allow for me to take the risk with him, but those that do have a suitable structure, should strongly consider jumping on board. Unfortunately for those of us not taking him, he has a potential easy opponent again this week, so we might see another monster. It will really test non-owners resolve if that happens. What they need to do, is accept that that monster is coming, and remind themselves when/if it hits "We knew this was coming. It doesn't change where I was at a week ago!".
Having owned Boak a few times in the previous 2 or 3 seasons, what scares me most, is his ability to butcher the ball sometimes, even when seemingly not under pressure! He's had me cursing at the screen more than once in that time! It all looks rosey, with Boak going to the Midfield, and Ebert going Forward, but I'm not convinced that is going to see the season out. While things are floating along nicely, they will see little reason to change structure. What we need to see is, what happens when Port hit the wobbles a bit. Will they fall back to last years structure? There tends to be a safety in the "devil you know", when things are going bad. Add in Port have players to come back in, that will really shake their structure up, and I'm worried we might be seeing some salad days for Boak, before normal services resume.
I don't see the value in going to Setterfield to Moore. I don't think you'll get your full money's worth on that trade.
Your second option however, looks pretty viable to me. I see Gibbons as a low scoring slow burn. Even last weeks half decent score was pretty much one good quarter. Going Gibbons to Moore adds a player that can be put on the field with confidence, as against a player I'd never put on the field, unless necessary.
Good luck, I hope you jump the right way.

AFL Club
Carlton
Thanks Rows,

Just one more option.
Currently have Ridley who looks like a mistake although I thought he was unlucky to be dropped.
If he is overlooked again would I be stupid to go
Ridley to say Lockhart and Walsh to Rocky.
Lockhart may get dropped and Walsh is going ok but I could potentially bring in another premo in Rocky.

Cheers

Blue Dragons

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey BD,
they both scare me a little bit, but for different reasons.
Rocky has the potential to ruin your season, if you don't have him. I can't see him ruining your season, if you do have him, as long as you are prepared to jump ship, at the first sign of trouble. My structure really doesn't allow for me to take the risk with him, but those that do have a suitable structure, should strongly consider jumping on board. Unfortunately for those of us not taking him, he has a potential easy opponent again this week, so we might see another monster. It will really test non-owners resolve if that happens. What they need to do, is accept that that monster is coming, and remind themselves when/if it hits "We knew this was coming. It doesn't change where I was at a week ago!".
Having owned Boak a few times in the previous 2 or 3 seasons, what scares me most, is his ability to butcher the ball sometimes, even when seemingly not under pressure! He's had me cursing at the screen more than once in that time! It all looks rosey, with Boak going to the Midfield, and Ebert going Forward, but I'm not convinced that is going to see the season out. While things are floating along nicely, they will see little reason to change structure. What we need to see is, what happens when Port hit the wobbles a bit. Will they fall back to last years structure? There tends to be a safety in the "devil you know", when things are going bad. Add in Port have players to come back in, that will really shake their structure up, and I'm worried we might be seeing some salad days for Boak, before normal services resume.
I don't see the value in going to Setterfield to Moore. I don't think you'll get your full money's worth on that trade.
Your second option however, looks pretty viable to me. I see Gibbons as a low scoring slow burn. Even last weeks half decent score was pretty much one good quarter. Going Gibbons to Moore adds a player that can be put on the field with confidence, as against a player I'd never put on the field, unless necessary.
Good luck, I hope you jump the right way.
Thanks for the detailed response as always. Love reading your work!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thanks Rows,

Just one more option.
Currently have Ridley who looks like a mistake although I thought he was unlucky to be dropped.
If he is overlooked again would I be stupid to go
Ridley to say Lockhart and Walsh to Rocky.
Lockhart may get dropped and Walsh is going ok but I could potentially bring in another premo in Rocky.

Cheers
Happy to help, Slam.
That's a real tricky one. Lockhart is just as likely to get dropped next week, then Ridley comes back, and you're stuck thinking ***?!
Burning 2 trades to get Rocky, that includes a risky swap, and sacrificing one of the better/safer Rookies seems like a stretch too far to get Rocky, or just about any player, really. If you're desperate to get Rocky, I'd find a different path. Though a quick look at your team doesn't reveal many alternatives!

AFL Club
Carlton
Happy to help, Slam.
That's a real tricky one. Lockhart is just as likely to get dropped next week, then Ridley comes back, and you're stuck thinking ***?!
Burning 2 trades to get Rocky, that includes a risky swap, and sacrificing one of the better/safer Rookies seems like a stretch too far to get Rocky, or just about any player, really. If you're desperate to get Rocky, I'd find a different path. Though a quick look at your team doesn't reveal many alternatives!
Cheers Rows
Yeah .. good points there. Will stay away.
Rocky to do a shoulder this week ?

AFL Club
Essendon
Hey Old Buddy,
looks like our two teams are playing off for the Disappointment Cup this week. I'd say good luck, but I really want the Dees to come good, and beat your team.

Drew, Parker, Constable, LDU, Duursma, Butters, Scott, Clark, Scrimshaw, Miers, Atkins, Rozee

That's a list of the bubble boys, in B/E order, for the ones that have a B/E of -40 or better.
You also have Walsh at -31.

I must admit, it looks slightly on the skinny side. I'm not sure it is wise to be without all 3 of Constable, Butters and LDU. If you had one of them, it wouldn't look too bad. On the flip side to that thought, you have 3 or 4 Midpricers, that look like generating some revenue as well. Hopefully at least one of them can carry through for you. Without those 4 Midpricers, I'd say you need to get Constable in, but given they can carry a bit of the funds generation you need, I'd say, just let Constable go. The best option to get him, imo, is to upgrade Gibbons, but I don't think you get your full trades worth, in doing that.
Good luck ;)
Thanks mate , passed on him and he went well but so did Brad . I will still cheer for him, I picked him up in draft keeper league so im hoping he takes over from Kelly when he moves back west next season ?

Lynch to Kelly this week with also a massive risk of Goldy down to Mummy ?
If things go to plan i will have enough cash to jump on Dahlhaus,
Which will have my fwd line as Danger, Heeney, Kelly, Billings, Dahlhaus, Fwd rookie

AFL Club
Collingwood
s Danger, Heeney, Kelly, Billings, Dahlhaus
Without hijacking the thread, 4 forwards who share the bye probably isn't ideal, unless you're not interested in going for overall?

Heeney, Danger, Kelly & Dahl all share the rd13 bye.

Edit: Not sure how I managed to ruin the quote, but you get the idea!

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Without hijacking the thread, 4 forwards who share the bye probably isn't ideal, unless you're not interested in going for overall?

All views and advice are welcome here.
The thread has my name on it, but I am happy for everybody to contribute, where they want to.
It's not possible to hijack the thread, as it is just here to offer hopefully alternative, thought provoking points of view.

AFL Club
Essendon

Gave up on overall many moons ago , still like to finish as high as possible.
I agree its not ideal but im only missing 6-7 players in total during that bye as i have eye towards Lloyd, Gawn, Neale types coming in after there bye.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey Row,

I have my heart set on trading out Dusty this week.
I'm considering Rocky, Treloar and Bont and would probably rank them in that order in my mind.

Rocky so cheap and could easily become a keeper if he maintains his fitness/form. (Big IF though based on recent history)
Treloar a massive accumulator, seems to be going well in conjunction with the other pies mids (yet to see the effect Adams has, if any)
Bont such a clean user of the ball usually (in contrast to the other two seemingly) but I worry that he drifts forward too often.

Any thoughts/stats to add to what I have?
Can't afford Fyfe/Lloyd fwiw. Have exactly $606,800 to spend

Team:
Whitfield, Crisp, Williams, Scrimshaw, Clark, Duursma (Collins, Burgess)
Cripps, Oliver, Neale, _____ , M Crouch, Walsh, Butters, Constable (Scott, Atkins, Gibbons)
Grundy, Gawn (Bines)
Danger, Dunkley, T Kelly, Moore, Setterfield, Drew (Parker, Balta)

Cheers mate

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey Row,

I'm considering Rocky, Treloar and Bont and would probably rank them in that order in my mind.

Rocky so cheap and could easily become a keeper if he maintains his fitness/form. (Big IF though based on recent history)
Treloar a massive accumulator, seems to be going well in conjunction with the other pies mids (yet to see the effect Adams has, if any)
Bont such a clean user of the ball usually (in contrast to the other two seemingly) but I worry that he drifts forward too often.

Team:
Cripps, Oliver, Neale, _____ , M Crouch, Walsh, Butters, Constable (Scott, Atkins, Gibbons)
Grundy, Gawn (Bines)

Cheers mate
Hey MCM,
if i had that set up, I'd be grabbing Rocky, and not even thinking twice.
I would have grabbed him this week, but my set up didn't really suit to do it.
He may fall apart, he might become Wine affected, but he might just keep going, too.
The best time to find out is now!

AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey Row,

Team:
Grundy, Gawn (Bines)

Cheers mate
that pretty much looks like the perfect starting structure , wish I had thought of that ?

AFL Club
Collingwood
Can't have been so perfect, as I'm sitting at roughly the 38k mark! :D

Cheers Row for the advice, I think I'll bite the bullet!
perfect structure , not necessarily the correct starting players , but once the rookies moo you will be flying.

11-13 keepers from the start , plus already with Gawn & Grundy , just need to play the patient game and wait.

See how soon all the mid priced bolters peter out , don't think too many would have picked Stewart & Dahlhaus for example.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Happy to help, Slam.
Ridley a late in, and Walsh goes 111.
I hope you found a different path to Rocky, @Slammer

Status
Not open for further replies.