Opinion Questions For Rowsus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi Rowsus, unsure if you’re still responding to questions, understand if not. In case you are, here’s mine.
5 trades left, 3035 placed. Top 8 in all cash leagues. Have complete team plus English on the bench. Big deficiency is no Oliver. Only be trade option. Brayshaw (Freo) to Oliver, by way of Clark to Bazzo. Closes the negative POD, and gives me a D/F link to Voss. BUT leaves me 3 trades. Gotta be now or never as Bazzo is a good downgrade option if he keeps playing. Would appreciate your thoughts if possible. Thank you, DS.
Edit- I could also trade English and keep Brayshaw and have Boak at M9, but no flexibility other than possible loopholes. Keeping English feels smarter.
Hi d1ck,
long time no see!
I'd try and keep English.
I'm not sure about Bazzo's JS, but there's not many downgrade options with good JS floating around!
Brayshaw is a bit over-rated as a SC commodity (imo, I have him too). Draw a line through his season at any point after Rnd 2, and he averages around 105 after that point. His average is really being propped up by the first two Rounds!!!
I reckon Oliver could be a 15-20/Round upgrade on Brayshaw. Oliver does meet Port and the Bullies in Rnds 18 +19. and they both seem to be able to blunt good Mid scores against them, so you do have that to get through, but aside from that, his Draw looks pretty good! He also adds a C option to your list, and I don't know about you, but I'd never risk the C on Brayshaw, unless it was against North (maybe, but he doesn't play them again!).
I think I'd do it.
Good luck!

AFL Club
Brisbane
Hi d1ck,
long time no see!
I'd try and keep English.
I'm not sure about Bazzo's JS, but there's not many downgrade options with good JS floating around!
Brayshaw is a bit over-rated as a SC commodity (imo, I have him too). Draw a line through his season at any point after Rnd 2, and he averages around 105 after that point. His average is really being propped up by the first two Rounds!!!
I reckon Oliver could be a 15-20/Round upgrade on Brayshaw. Oliver does meet Port and the Bullies in Rnds 18 +19. and they both seem to be able to blunt good Mid scores against them, so you do have that to get through, but aside from that, his Draw looks pretty good! He also adds a C option to your list, and I don't know about you, but I'd never risk the C on Brayshaw, unless it was against North (maybe, but he doesn't play them again!).
I think I'd do it.
Good luck!
Legendary advice, thanks so much! Good to hear from you. I’ve been lurking plenty, not posting much! Take care!

Pinnell

Rising Star Nominee
WHo's your Brownlow tip Rowsus?
Pity the days of fleecing the bookies seem over...I can't find anything of value worth having a good old fashioned crack at...

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
WHo's your Brownlow tip Rowsus?
Pity the days of fleecing the bookies seem over...I can't find anything of value worth having a good old fashioned crack at...
I haven't followed as closely as I used to.
I'm thinking Neale will be leading Oliver coming into the last game, but Oliver will out-poll Neale in that game, and it will end in a Neale/Oliver tie!!!

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
The simple answer is yes. If you feel these are the two most reliable high scorers, then you pay premium on their price, and eat the value loss. Getting your Captain picks right is just that important! To say you don't want to pay the top dollar, means you are willing to compromise, on what is the first, and most important picks you make in your team.

I'll do a little exercise to demonstrate this point. I'll do it for 2019 and 2020.
Taking the 5 players with highest averages from the previous season, make the 10 possible combinations of two players.
We'll start with a budget of $1,500,000 and subtract the two players prices from that starting amount.
ie 2018 highest 2 averages were, and their 2019 opening prices $1,500,000 - Grundy $708,200 - Gawn $692,100 = $99,700.
So we have 10 "teams" of 2 players. We'll look at the first 8 Rounds of each season, and for each Round, the first player in the team to play that Round will be the VC, with the ability to take their score as C, if desired. We'll use 4 scoring levels as a trigger to take that VC score: 115, 120, 125, 130 and look at the result for all 10 teams, using those 4 trigger points. If the two players play against each other, the most expensive players is Captain. If a player misses a game, he will be replaced by the 6th highest averaging player from the previous season. To even out the the lower priced teams potential to score, we'll divide the remaining cash (ie. with Grundy/Gawn in 2019 the $99,700 shown above), by the MN for Rnd 1 of that season, and come up with the number of additional points each team will receive, based on how expensive their teams were. So the Grundy/Gawn combination in the 2019 table received an additional 18.4 points/Round, and the Neale/Fyfe comination (the 4th and 5th biggest averages from 2018) receive an additional 35.2 points/Round.
I hope that makes sense, sometimes I'm not good at explaining things.
So we have ten 2 players teams, and 4 VC trigger scores, that gives us 40 different results for each season.
The color blocking in the table is just to more easily show when combinations tied.

View attachment 26089

So we can see that the highest priced player (Grundy), and the 5th highest priced player (Cripps) when looped at 115, 120 & 125 points, totalled 3,306.7 points, compared to the worst combination of the 2nd highest (Gawn) and 4th highest player (Dangerfield) totalling 2,743.8 points. That's 509.6 points less, over a period of 8 Rounds. That's pretty enormous, when we are only considering the 5 highest priced players, and using only 2 of them!
The last 4 numbers in the table are what each loop trigger score totalled, across the 10 teams. Interestingly, the old traditional trigger score of 120 was the best performer, while the 130 trigger faired worst.

2020 gives us a similar result. The totals are a lot higher, given the higher scores recorded in 2020, and the difference between the top and the bottom combination is also larger.

View attachment 26090

Not unexpectedly, the Gawn/Neale combination was the top scorer, and scored the same, no matter which loop trigger score you used. This is due to them both posting so many 130+ scores. The Macrae/Fyfe combination, using the 125 & 130 trigger point fared worst, a whopping 735.3 behind Gawn/Neale!
The trigger points of 120, 125 & 130 were all very similar, once again, due to the number of really high scores recorded, while the 115 trigger point lagged behind, as you once again, might expect in a high scoring year.

The 2 tables demonstrate how crucial it is to get your starting Captain picks right. I really think the potential dollars lost mean next to nothing, if you are giving up 500 or 600 points across the first 8 Rounds.

It comes back to my old team selection process.
Start with your 2 or 3 Captain picks, and don't look at the price, as you just need to get it right!

As I said during the post, sometimes I'm not good at explaining things. If there is anything in here that doesn't make sense to anyone, please just ask, and I'll attempt to clarify it for you.
Bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.