Opinion Rate My Team

AFL Club
St Kilda
Seeing a lot of teams without Sam Walsh but I expect him to score about as well as any 18 year old rookie ever has.
Will be a slow burn @ 200k.

Smaller body type aswell. Will get pushed around a lil bit by the bigger body types IMO

AFL Club
Essendon
Will be a slow burn @ 200k.

Smaller body type aswell. Will get pushed around a lil bit by the bigger body types IMO
I think the smaller body type, whilst not ideal, is an exaggerated problem for non-key position players. You could have said the same about Heppell when he was drafted and he averaged 83 in his first year.

Walsh averaged 158 SC points in the TAC cup and 142 in the U/18 championships. By comparison Dow averaged 119 in the TAC cup and 98 in the U/18 championships, Brayshaw 131 and 107 and Uniacke 134 and 82. When the competition got tougher in the u/18 championships their average dropped off. The only player who is comparable from last season is Jack Higgins who averaged 141 in the Tac Cup and 151 in the u/18 championships. Higgins was played almost exclusively as a forward early on before seeing more mid time and better scores later on. Walsh should get a heap of midfield time this year.

AFL Club
Essendon
Won't even be the best cashcow from his club.
Gibbons > Stocker > Walsh in regards to SC.
the player with the highest supercoach average in tac cup history and the no. 1 draft pick in the deepest draft in years will be the 3rd best cash cow at his club? who is gibbons? The whole big body and small body thing is exaggerated.

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the smaller body type, whilst not ideal, is an exaggerated problem for non-key position players. You could have said the same about Heppell when he was drafted and he averaged 83 in his first year.

Walsh averaged 158 SC points in the TAC cup and 142 in the U/18 championships. By comparison Dow averaged 119 in the TAC cup and 98 in the U/18 championships, Brayshaw 131 and 107 and Uniacke 134 and 82. When the competition got tougher in the u/18 championships their average dropped off. The only player who is comparable from last season is Jack Higgins who averaged 141 in the Tac Cup and 151 in the u/18 championships. Higgins was played almost exclusively as a forward early on before seeing more mid time and better scores later on. Walsh should get a heap of midfield time this year.

I have always found the most likely rookie players to have an impact are listed around the 79-80kg plus mark (that is excluding rucks) I am not saying that is hard and fast, just that when you start getting up to that kind of weight it indicates the likelihood of stronger body that can better handle the physical side of the game. Rookies that are below 75kg in the draft bio are facing a tougher time. There will be exceptions of course as always and they clearly start to bulk up as soon as they get into the club gym etc after being drafted. Higgins was listed at 76.9kg but was only 177cm. However when I see a youngster being pumped up and look at their bio and see they are 185cm and 68kg I don't usually expect them to turn up in rd 1.

AFL Club
Richmond
the player with the highest supercoach average in tac cup history and the no. 1 draft pick in the deepest draft in years will be the 3rd best cash cow at his club? who is gibbons? The whole big body and small body thing is exaggerated.
Gibbons is the bloke Carlton are about to sign to fill their last list spot.
Has won every single award there is to win in the VFL as a midfielder.
Will be a 102k mid, Walsh is already 105k more.
Walsh should score alright, but he's still gotta score a lot better than other rookies to appreciate in value.
I'm not basing that on the bigger body thing, that was a different poster,

AFL Club
Essendon
Gibbons is the bloke Carlton are about to sign to fill their last list spot.
Has won every single award there is to win in the VFL as a midfielder.
Will be a 102k mid, Walsh is already 105k more.
Walsh should score alright, but he's still gotta score a lot better than other rookies to appreciate in value.
I'm not basing that on the bigger body thing, that was a different poster,
Okay that Gibbons thing now makes sense, I'm not sure if he didn't get picked up in the rookie draft that he is likely to start in round 1. I just made that assumption about weight because you had him behind Stocker.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Essendon
I have always found the most likely rookie players to have an impact are listed around the 79-80kg plus mark (that is excluding rucks) I am not saying that is hard and fast, just that when you start getting up to that kind of weight it indicates the likelihood of stronger body that can better handle the physical side of the game. Rookies that are below 75kg in the draft bio are facing a tougher time. There will be exceptions of course as always and they clearly start to bulk up as soon as they get into the club gym etc after being drafted. Higgins was listed at 76.9kg but was only 177cm. However when I see a youngster being pumped up and look at their bio and see they are 185cm and 68kg I don't usually expect them to turn up in rd 1.
Yeah I think it definitely helps but I think a bit too much is made of it, I've seen quite a few players come in and do reasonably well at around that weight with a 70-80 average and this kid is just an insanely consistent ball winner who suits fantasy football. I could be wrong but his scores across all competitions, his JS, and the midfield time he looks likely to get makes me believe he will score very very well.

Walsh is listed at 77kg so he's not very light.

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I think it definitely helps but I think a bit too much is made of it, I've seen quite a few players come in and do reasonably well at around that weight with a 70-80 average and this kid is just an insanely consistent ball winner who suits fantasy football. I could be wrong but his scores across all competitions, his JS, and the midfield time he looks likely to get makes me believe he will score very very well.

Walsh is listed at 77kg so he's not very light.
So he has put on a few kg since the AFL Draft Central info was released. His numbers are impressive so if anyone is going to roll out a high ave debut season for a non mature rookie he is the prime candidate. I agree with Seymour however that there will be a lot more 117k rookies that will make a lot more money and a lot quicker than Walsh which is why many people will not select him.

On a side note if Carlton are going to sign Gibbons then I think it is good that he gets his chance. He has won everything at the VFL level in terms of awards, JJ Liston twice, VFL team of the year 3 years in a row etc etc. But my understanding is many people think he has not been signed up so far because of his size. Hope he proves them wrong.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very nice side in my view, hard to pick holes. A few thoughts:

- Backs aren't that proven, only really one premium season between them. Looks like Witherden has done three hamstrings in two seasons, and has some running idiosyncrasies as he compensates for a double hip replacement in his younger days (see the link below - which can be read as a net positive or a net negative in my view, albeit I wasn't aware of the broader issue, so it's downside to my ongoing view). One solid performer could give a bit of stability here. Understand the arguments though.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-12-03/doing-extras

- Could be nice to get Setterfield or similar in the mids for looping. Probably an easy tweak if you have spare cash.

- You could probably argue that the Dogs mid issues could apply similarly to Gresham, albeit I gather there are comments indicating he will play more mid, and he finished last season very well.

That's it ... nicely done.
Cheers for the thoughts Darkie.

Agree on the backs, that is the line I am struggling most with. Have enough cash to go Witherden to Laird - probably should and just deal with paying overs for him.

I also have enough cash to bring in Setterfield but from what I have read he is recovering from doing a hammy? JLT etc will explain if he comes up in time.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cheers for the thoughts Darkie.

Agree on the backs, that is the line I am struggling most with. Have enough cash to go Witherden to Laird - probably should and just deal with paying overs for him.

I also have enough cash to bring in Setterfield but from what I have read he is recovering from doing a hammy? JLT etc will explain if he comes up in time.
No worries PC. That’s a good point re Setterfield - I had missed that, thanks. M-F rookies seem thin on the ground this year, so he seems to be the main viable one I’ve seen (subject to fitness) but things can change quickly heading into round one.

As for the backs, it’s a tough one. I should mention that mine is currently: Whitfield, Williams, Hanley, Roberton, so I’m a little deeper but otherwise no more solid. I do have some dearer rookies in there at the moment (Collins, Scrimshaw, and previously Quaynor, who I now think could score poorly/inconsistently) so potentially they have more mature bodies (less injuries?) or greater JS. There are few options that are both proven and slightly discounted/where you can make a good case for upside though, so it’s probably a line to go light (just hopefully not too light!).

The rule changes could also be key for backs in my view, I just don’t have a strong view in who the winners and losers are at this stage. I suspect my final picks will be heavily influenced by this if we see shifts in the JLT.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have Collins atm. Not sold that Scrimshaw will get consistent games, and the Pies are very hard to pick players from (minus Grundy).

Fair point re the scoring changes.

AFL Club
Richmond
So he has put on a few kg since the AFL Draft Central info was released. His numbers are impressive so if anyone is going to roll out a high ave debut season for a non mature rookie he is the prime candidate. I agree with Seymour however that there will be a lot more 117k rookies that will make a lot more money and a lot quicker than Walsh which is why many people will not select him.

On a side note if Carlton are going to sign Gibbons then I think it is good that he gets his chance. He has won everything at the VFL level in terms of awards, JJ Liston twice, VFL team of the year 3 years in a row etc etc. But my understanding is many people think he has not been signed up so far because of his size. Hope he proves them wrong.
As you've pointed out, 2 Listons, 3 team of the year, best on in the VFL granny, best on representing Vic, was TAC team of the year and all those stuff when coming through the juniors.

Been overlooked for years because he's <180cm, not lightning quick, and not an elite kick.
But the bloke is an absolute gun footballer, doesn't fit the mold of AFL clubs trying to turn athletes into footballers these days, think Rockliff and why he slipped all the way to the rookie draft in his year.

AFL Club
Essendon

I know it's tougher to make money from him but he's one extra player you don't have to worry about getting dropped or who won't put in decent scores. A lot of the players in teams like West, Valente etc might not be in teams in round 1 and don't have the JS that Walsh has. I also think he will score in a way that is more suited to his price than the expensive rookies from last year and my reasons for that are his junior numbers and the mid time he looks set to get. If he manages to average 75-80 and plays every game he will inevitably be a better pick than the worst cash cow you pick in your mids, especially for those picking 6 cash cows in midfield. Out of all the expensive rookies he's the only I see worth picking and if he was "only" as prolific as Brayshaw or Dow or LDU as a junior I would not be advocating for him.

I hope Gibbons gets his chance but I think if he still isn't on a rookie list he's pretty unlikely to play Round 1 as there must be some fundamentals to his game that are not liked by AFL clubs and need work.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Interesting comparison to Dow, Brayshaw and LDU. All three were failures as rookies by most accounts. Even if Walsh performs 25% better than the best performing of those (Brayshaw 17/60) He will still likely not be a “must have” rookie.

Has a lot of things leaning in his favour though, I agree there’s a good chance he falls somewhere between 75-80 and provides a decent rookie for those that make the investment, though history says that the higher prices rookies tend not to be as lucrative.

I don’t know enough about him to form a proper opinion but it’s easier to include him and give yourself the option of leaving him out instead of finding ways to fit him in at this stage.

AFL Club
Essendon
Put together my first team for the year. The only thing I can be sure of is that a lot is going to change!

Def: Laird, Simpson, Whitfield, Williamson, Collins, Scrimshaw (Macraedie, Wigg)

Mids: MItchell, Oliver, Fyfe, Martin, Miles, Butters, Stocker, Constable (Brownless, Hill, Walker)

Rucks: Grundy, Gawn (Xerri)

Forwards: Dangerfield, Heeney, Dunkley, Setterfield, Ballenden, Burgess (Corbett, Wilkinson)

66k or so left.

Playing it quite safe this year - with a focus on youth (apart from Simpson).

I don't want to mess around with the rucks at all in terms of trading if possible - Grundy will only get better. Gawn is the one I'm not quite sure on.

AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting comparison to Dow, Brayshaw and LDU. All three were failures as rookies by most accounts. Even if Walsh performs 25% better than the best performing of those (Brayshaw 17/60) He will still likely not be a “must have” rookie.

Has a lot of things leaning in his favour though, I agree there’s a good chance he falls somewhere between 75-80 and provides a decent rookie for those that make the investment, though history says that the higher prices rookies tend not to be as lucrative.

I don’t know enough about him to form a proper opinion but it’s easier to include him and give yourself the option of leaving him out instead of finding ways to fit him in at this stage.
He had an extra 34 points per game at the highest level of competition on the best of those 3 and I think he will get more mid time than all 3 of them. I will take 75-80 all day from Walsh as he will make 200k, and will be a 250-300k downgrade. Every year you will pick a player who gets dropped or whose cash generation stalls and picking a reliable high tier scorer is a way to avoid one of those players. This year it was Barry and Garlett. Just having one expensive player who can score you extra points and is reliable is worth it in my opinion. It's a way to avoid those with poor JS and there is always a couple of those who tend to be very popular. Brayshaw was definitely a mistake this year but I think that can be put down to something pretty simple, he got mid time in the JLT and did not when the season began. Walsh comes in as the no.4 or no. 5 mid at the club.

AFL Club
St Kilda
I have Collins atm. Not sold that Scrimshaw will get consistent games, and the Pies are very hard to pick players from (minus Grundy).

Fair point re the scoring changes.
I’m not sold on Dew playing Collins. They got Hombsch.

Logue is the safest bet. Freo will pump games into him @ 164k, ceiling won’t be as high as Collins but JS will be more solid.