Opinion Rate My Team

Bit left field but I like this.

DEF: Crisp, Williams, Smith, Moore (D/F), Scrimshaw, Clark (Duursma, Hore)
MID: Macrae, Cripps, Coniglio, MCrouch, Brayshaw, Cousins, Walsh, Constable (Drew, Atkins, Gibbons)
RUCK: Gawn, English (Bines)
FWD: Danger, Heeney, Wallis, Darling, Greene, Setterfield (Burgess (D/F), Parker)

Notes:
-Crisp is extremely durable, in 3% of sides, 25 years old and went 9/102 without Murray last year. Surprised not alot more love.
-I'm treating Cousins and Moore as expensive rookies (DPP on Moore great too), I think both can generate the necessary cash.
-Macrae/Cogs/MCrouch have been locked in.
-Cripps vs Neale and Dusty vs Brayshaw vs Steele is doing my head in.
-As a dogs supporter I have faith English can average 80 and be a viable stepping stone. Grundy's toe concerns me based off his low amount of kicks in JLT. Bevo has shown alot of faith in the kid moving on Roughead/Campbell.
-Wallis has supposedly gone to another level since resigning. He'll be back spending alot of time in the mid's I think. 2% ownership.
-If Greene isnt named for Rd 1 ill probably swing Moore forward, get Collins and upgrade a rookie mid to Libba.

Would love some feedback.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
fair enough

regardless of what they say in public , when crunch time Gazza and Selwood will be in the centre square , whether they are inside or outside , they are still mids

are you picking Danger to maintain his average or with the view he improves it ?
i dont reckon there is much thinking necessary, just pick him.

AFL Club
St Kilda
+20 big call

Ablett , Danger , Selwood , Duncan , Kelly , Parfitt , Menegola etc that is one crowded midfield.

You don't think any other forwards will go 100+ ?
Danger came home at 132 post-byes. No preseason to speak of and played predominantly forward early as a result. His 121 is actually pricing in a discount on his capacity last year in full flight.

He'll be 29 soon and nothing is certain in life but the f/m dpp means he has to go a long way down before you're in genuinely bad pick territory, and if he continues on the path of the past four years he will be the best C option in the game at a discounted price. You'll go a long way before seeing an SC pick with less downside and more upside.

I love how you look at the whole range of possibilities with every player (and I do think most of us focus in too narrowly and with too much certainty), but gee it must make it hard to pick a team when you see monsters under the bed with every selection.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Danger came home at 132 post-byes. No preseason to speak of and played predominantly forward early as a result. His 121 as a result is a discount price on his capacity last year in full flight.

He'll be 29 soon and nothing is certain in life but the f/m dpp means he has to go a long way down before you're in genuinely bad pick territory, and if he continues on the path of the past four years he will be the best C option in the game at a discounted price. You'll go a long way before seeing an SC pick with less downside and more upside.

I love how you look at the whole range of possibilities with every player (and I do think most of us focus in too narrowly and with too much certainty), but gee it must make it hard to pick a team when you see monsters under the bed with every selection.
That starting price scares the hell out of me (can't see any upside) and given some seemingly questionable JS on a lot of the more popular rookie options just seeing if there is any value in not starting him and trying to find some more value.

No harm in trying to look at something differently , picking the same starting players as 75% of every other coaches is probably the smart and safe play but does it put you in contention ?

I have no idea , lot more smarter coaches on here than me.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks to all who commented on my first team a few days back, this is the next iteration taking into account your feedbacks which were, as ever, useful:

1552624164200.png

AFL Club
St Kilda
That starting price scares the hell out of me (can't see any upside) and given some seemingly questionable JS on a lot of the more popular rookie options just seeing if there is any value in not starting him and trying to find some more value.

No harm in trying to look at something differently , picking the same starting players as 75% of every other coaches is probably the smart and safe play but does it put you in contention ?

I have no idea , lot more smarter coaches on here than me.
Definitely agree there's no harm and a lot of good to be had by looking at things differently and from all angles, as long as it doesn't strangle you off from making decisions.

Not sure if it counts as being in contention but I've been inside the top 100 at various points in three of the last four seasons, and I have started with the popular C option in each of those years (which was a failure in 2015 but a success in '16 and '17). Good POD choices count for nothing if you haven't got the base of successful top picks to build your team around.

If you genuinely predict Danger to fall off below 110, then it doesn't matter that he'll still be near the top of his line, it's a good decision to not start him. But if you're just pointing out that it's possible that'll happen, and the prospect scares you, then I don't think that's a good reason for not picking him.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Definitely agree there's no harm and a lot of good to be had by looking at things differently and from all angles, as long as it doesn't strangle you off from making decisions.

Not sure if it counts as being in contention but I've been inside the top 100 at various points in three of the last four seasons, and I have started with the popular C option in each of those years (which was a failure in 2015 but a success in '16 and '17). Good POD choices count for nothing if you haven't got the base of successful top picks to build your team around.

If you genuinely predict Danger to fall off below 110, then it doesn't matter that he'll still be near the top of his line, it's a good decision to not start him. But if you're just pointing out that it's possible that'll happen, and the prospect scares you, then I don't think that's a good reason for not picking him.
Your record speaks for itself , a lot better than I will ever achieve , so you certainly know what you are talking about.

To be honest I think I am just going around and around in circles and no closer to finalising my side.

Just took Danger out and it still doesn't give me a extra premium or any spare cash to upgrade some mid pricers.

Yes even if he does go 110 he will certainly be in the Top echelon for forwards so probably just easier to start him.

Think I just need to leave it all alone until teams come up and see what rookies are named where and build from there , might just pick my 2 Rucks & 28 rookies and wait.

Cheers

AFL Club
St Kilda
Your record speaks for itself , a lot better than I will ever achieve , so you certainly know what you are talking about.

To be honest I think I am just going around and around in circles and no closer to finalising my side.

Just took Danger out and it still doesn't give me a extra premium or any spare cash to upgrade some mid pricers.

Yes even if he does go 110 he will certainly be in the Top echelon for forwards so probably just easier to start him.

Think I just need to leave it all alone until teams come up and see what rookies are named where and build from there , might just pick my 2 Rucks & 28 rookies and wait.

Cheers
That plus Rocky and I reckon you've got a good base.

AFL Club
Carlton
Only 6 days, 2 & 1/2 hours to go.

First team draft with not nearly as much thought or research as previously done.

Might be a good thing!

Whitfield, Rance, Newman, Burgess, Joyce, Watson, (Graham, Hore)

Fyfe, Neale, Cogs, Martin, Brouch, Rocky, Walsh, Constable, (H Brayshaw, Bewley, Gibbons)

Grundy, Goldy, (Bines)

Danger, Hoff, Heeney, Mundy, Setterfield, Drew, (Hanrahan, Parker)

Only $ 4,200 available.

Had Moore in while the team was developing but had to go when there was not enough cash for a 30th player, Rance has been in and out with Witherden, went out today when I realised Cavarra was injured and needed more cash to get Drew in.

Gray has also been in and out.

Wondering about Zac Clarke if named replacing Goldy to free up cash elsewhere or even just to have cash available for any corrective/injury trades early in the season.

Pick holes but be constructive and remember that there is almost no cash available unless at least two changes are made so don't go too crazy on upgrade suggestions.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Only 6 days, 2 & 1/2 hours to go.

First team draft with not nearly as much thought or research as previously done.

Might be a good thing!

Whitfield, Rance, Newman, Burgess, Joyce, Watson, (Graham, Hore)

Fyfe, Neale, Cogs, Martin, Brouch, Rocky, Walsh, Constable, (H Brayshaw, Bewley, Gibbons)

Grundy, Goldy, (Bines)

Danger, Hoff, Heeney, Mundy, Setterfield, Drew, (Hanrahan, Parker)

Only $ 4,200 available.

Had Moore in while the team was developing but had to go when there was not enough cash for a 30th player, Rance has been in and out with Witherden, went out today when I realised Cavarra was injured and needed more cash to get Drew in.

Gray has also been in and out.

Wondering about Zac Clarke if named replacing Goldy to free up cash elsewhere or even just to have cash available for any corrective/injury trades early in the season.

Pick holes but be constructive and remember that there is almost no cash available unless at least two changes are made so don't go too crazy on upgrade suggestions.
I’d look at Williams over Rance and even Smith over Newman

Then if it were me I’d strongly consider Gawn over Goldy.

You could also consider Collins over Newman because your back rookies look too thin. Burgess looks to be a poor scorer. Watson doesn’t look like even playing.

I think you’re strapped overall for cash to get the right rookies and defence seems the place to extract it

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Def: J. Sicily, L. Whitfield, H. Andrews, J. Scrimshaw, J. Clark, X. Duursma [MID] (C. Burgess [FWD], M. Hore)

Mid: P. Cripps, L. Neale, D. Martin, A. Brayshaw, J. Steele, J. Cousins, S. Walsh, C. Constable (B. Scott, T. Atkins, M. Gibbons)

Ruc: M. Gawn, T. Goldstein (J. Sweet)

For: P. Dangerfield [MID], I. Heeney [MID], J. Darling, J. Worpel [MID], W. Setterfield [MID], W. Drew [MID](N. Balta, J. Petruccelle)

Kitty $82,600

Defense: Sicily seems to me to be ready to become a superpremium, certainly a top 6. So too is Andrews (6 100s out of 9 games before his injury and 3 90 after his return)

Midfield: Neale over Fyfe due to his durability, Brayshaw and Steele were my PODs from the beginning and still are, even if they are losing their PODness (Brayshaw 17.5% of teams, while Steele is still 1%). I wanted JOM, but couldn’t go seven keeper in midfield, so in came Cousins.

Ruck: Grundy disrupted pre-season together with a not quite good JLT saw him out of my team. (Earlier the original idea of Mumford and Westhoff went quickly out the door)

Forward: Why pick Dangerwas the big question? (see the answer later on). Darling promises to be great choice. Worpel is there because I could not fit JOM.

Rookies are those I think will be named in R1 (with the exclusion of FD Sweet ).
Also on my radar: Readley, Collins, Butters, Hind, Parker.

13 keepers + Cousing and Worpel. These 15 make the bye spread 4 7 4

Finally the big question: Why pick Danger? Because Danger is Danger.

I like that you are prepared to do it , think a lot are expecting a repeat of his 121.7 Ave , think we might see changes in the Cats mids this season but that's just my opinion.

Lot of money to shell out initially if he does drop to 110 , yet people are suggesting not to start Grundy & Gawn for the same reasons so it totally confuses me.

Good luck
Dangers record is why.

AFL Club
West Coast
Petruccelle appears in quite a few teams (including mine at the moment) but I think is JS is compromised now with reports that both Kennedy and Cripps trained well in an intraclub today and both may be available rd1. Possible both could miss rd 1 due to the travel but come rd 2 he could be in trouble.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm interested to hear some thoughts on this team, which I'm fairly sure I will run with. I'm trying something a little bit different to other years this time where I've gone pretty much the standard "guns and rookies" route, with minimal success. This is riskier, I know, but I quite like it:

DEF: Hurn, Mills, Williams, Smith, Collins, Clark, [Scrimshaw, Hore]
MID: Treloar, Coniglio, M Crouch, Brayshaw, B Crouch, Sheed, Liberatore, Walsh, [Constable, Scott, Atkins]
RUC: Gawn, Goldstein, [Alabakis]
FWD: Dangerfield, Darling, Lynch, Greene, Setterfield, Drew, [Balta, Petrucelle]

Taking a punt here that Lynch plays in Rd 1. I really hope he does, as he has a very good record against the Blues. If not, I'll probably end up swapping him for Heeney which will also mean a downgrade of Libba to a rookie to get the additional cash needed for this change. I only have $700 left right now, which is not great, but haven't confirmed all the rookie spots and may be able to get a bit more cash in the bank before the season starts.

I am aware this team is missing a lot of the big name guns (Lloyd, Laird, Whitfield, Macrae, Cripps, Fyfe, Oliver, Kelly, Martin, Grundy, Heeney etc), but it should still score quite reasonably - I did a quick check and I am fairly sure it would have scored 2000+ in both of the JLT games, and that is with 3-4 of the better players missing in both games. I can't justify paying the starting price of most of the higher priced players, doing so means you need to pick more rookies and I expect the majority of these premium players will drop in price, at least a bit (all things going as expected I should be able to pick some up for at least $30-40K cheaper than their starting price in a couple of months). There's only 5 on field rookies in this team, which I really like, as I get the feeling quite a few starting rookies will not be playing within a month. The mid price players are my bigger concern - injuries or form issues with 2 or 3 of them could really kill my season.