Position SC 2021: Defender Discussion

Which ‘keepers’ are you planning on starting with?

• Lloyd

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • Ryan

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Laird

Votes: 103 88.0%
  • Ridley

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • Daniel

Votes: 75 64.1%
  • Stewart

Votes: 72 61.5%
  • Short

Votes: 72 61.5%
  • Howe

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Docherty

Votes: 20 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 15 12.8%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Adelaide
The reason for Ziebell going boom was the Hall injury but that will keep him out this week so at least another week of it I assume.

Long term Hall has the potential to be an issue however if he does steal a significant amount and continue the kick long plan as opposed to Ziebell who generally keeps it in the area for an extra touch or two like a true fantasy star.
Ziebell was scoring well when Hall was playing, so I'm not that concerned when Hall gets back.

AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone looking at Stephen May? Could be around 370k after next week, only a 100k upgrade from Chapman.

I currently have Ridley, Lloyd, Stewart, Laird and Short, with Kosi/Chapman. With cash a priority he seems like he'd be good value as a D6.

Just wondering what everyone thinks of his scoring range?

I do have genuine issues in the Fwd line but he seems like a bargain buy.

AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone looking at Stephen May? Could be around 370k after next week, only a 100k upgrade from Chapman.

I currently have Ridley, Lloyd, Stewart, Laird and Short, with Kosi/Chapman. With cash a priority he seems like he'd be good value as a D6.

Just wondering what everyone thinks of his scoring range?
Had him for the second half of last year and performed very well. Only issue is the points share across the Melb backs, which incidentally are probably close to the best set of talls of any club at the moment (May, Lever and Tomlinson). Absolutely killed the Tigers on Sat night. Kept them to 6 goals from 60 I50s. Absolute masterclass in defence.

AFL Club
Richmond
Had him for the second half of last year and performed very well. Only issue is the points share across the Melb backs, which incidentally are probably close to the best set of talls of any club at the moment (May, Lever and Tomlinson). Absolutely killed the Tigers on Sat night. Kept them to 6 goals from 60 I50s. Absolute masterclass in defence.
Yes, it was frustrating from a Tigers perspective, but that's where premierships are won.

My worry is that he gets the main lockdown role and doesn't participate much in the switching of play.

Guess I'll wait n see how he goes over the next couple of weeks.

AFL Club
Essendon
Yes, it was frustrating from a Tigers perspective, but that's where premierships are won.

My worry is that he gets the main lockdown role and doesn't participate much in the switching of play.

Guess I'll wait n see how he goes over the next couple of weeks.
Salem was pretty handy as well....

AFL Club
Essendon
May is a “buy the ticket, take the ride” type player. He’s gonna give you 60s and 140s depending on who they’re playing. If you’re prepared to ride that out he’s a good pick. Prob not one to take if you’re focussed on a league win. Lever is the big danger in terms of intercept marks.

AFL Club
Essendon
How are we feeling about Shorty at the moment? Obviously had a couple of very poor scores then bounced back in remarkable fashion.

Short is in approx. 80% of teams inside the top 1000 (same for top 100). I'm currently sitting at rank 183.

Should I grab him at 480k to solidify my rank on the pack? Or is it fairly safe to bet against him with a Houston (460k odd) or even a May (408k)? Can also afford to watch both Short and Houston for another week as they both have 110 breakevens, and get Scott/Facrae out of M8 instead.

AFL Club
West Coast
How are we feeling about Shorty at the moment? Obviously had a couple of very poor scores then bounced back in remarkable fashion.

Short is in approx. 80% of teams inside the top 1000 (same for top 100). I'm currently sitting at rank 183.

Should I grab him at 480k to solidify my rank on the pack? Or is it fairly safe to bet against him with a Houston (460k odd) or even a May (408k)? Can also afford to watch both Short and Houston for another week as they both have 110 breakevens, and get Scott/Facrae out of M8 instead.
Congrats on the ranking (y)

Depends on who are you fielding at D5/D6. Good score on the weekend by Short but has been underwhelming/ Houli is now back also which may hurt his scoring in the future.

Personally, I would go for a POD - at your current ranking you are a chance to win so wouldn't follow what the majority in the top 100 have, I would look for a unique.

Pending how strong your D5/D6 are, could wait for Whitfield for example to drop in price & pounce. Scott has a BE of 10, wouldn't be moving him on just yet.

Do you mind posting your whole team so can see your whole situation?

AFL Club
North Melb.
May is a “buy the ticket, take the ride” type player. He’s gonna give you 60s and 140s depending on who they’re playing. If you’re prepared to ride that out he’s a good pick. Prob not one to take if you’re focussed on a league win. Lever is the big danger in terms of intercept marks.
Buy the ticket, take the ride, get out of jail "free" (well, for one trade anyway) if he reaches $500k and you sideways him to another premium at R14 to dodge his bye.

Last edited:
AFL Club
North Melb.
I'm not sure I'm gonna have the luxury of that many trades up my sleeve!
Yeah me either. But I kinda see it that if I don't have enough trades to move him sideways, then I'll probably be short on trades for upgrades as well. So bringing in a 'value' keeper could save me on both counts :p

AFL Club
Essendon
Congrats on the ranking (y)

Depends on who are you fielding at D5/D6. Good score on the weekend by Short but has been underwhelming/ Houli is now back also which may hurt his scoring in the future.

Personally, I would go for a POD - at your current ranking you are a chance to win so wouldn't follow what the majority in the top 100 have, I would look for a unique.

Pending how strong your D5/D6 are, could wait for Whitfield for example to drop in price & pounce. Scott has a BE of 10, wouldn't be moving him on just yet.

Do you mind posting your whole team so can see your whole situation?
Thanks legend. I like the way you think. I reckon you're right. Go with the grain and maybe finish top 100. Go against and maybe finish top 10.

With Laird in the mids my D5/6 are Cox and Kosi/Highmore. If I grab a mid this week I'd swing Laird back.

I meant more in terms of getting Scott off field, not trading him out. Maybe in a couple weeks!

My team is below:

Screenshot_20210503-180037_SuperCoach.jpg
Screenshot_20210503-180043_SuperCoach.jpg

AFL Club
Essendon

I reckon you pick a pod if they're literally neck and neck or if it's a smart move but I wouldn't force it as people in the top 100 will be taking different approaches and all have different sides. When the pod approaches naturally with timing I'd go for them. I did Tex to Neale last week as a very aggressive move because none of the top 100 teams had Neale and I believed Tex would start to drop in form (a lot of the top 100 had Tex), in the end bad luck made it a bad trade with Neale going down but I still reckon the idea behind it was good. I then turned Neale into Bont (not a pod).

In this case I'd go Short because I think at that price he's a better pick than the others, I don't see May or Houston offering too much upside as pods. You'll have plenty of time to get make pod moves and don't worry too much about doing it just for the sake of it.

AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks legend. I like the way you think. I reckon you're right. Go with the grain and maybe finish top 100. Go against and maybe finish top 10.

With Laird in the mids my D5/6 are Cox and Kosi/Highmore. If I grab a mid this week I'd swing Laird back.

I meant more in terms of getting Scott off field, not trading him out. Maybe in a couple weeks!

My team is below:

View attachment 29494
View attachment 29496
Thanks for that (y)

This is what I would look at doing, making an aggressive play for a unique premium who is in good form.

Move Laird back to defence through Sharp.

Trade Cox (looks maxed out) to Frederick (123K) who is set to make serious cash. Either Frederick or Kosi play at D6/ favour Frederick with his role - maybe you can use Highmore if not named to loop?

Then trade Rowe (maxed out) to McCluggage via Macrae. McCluggage is 573K currently & owned by just 2.7% of coaches with a 3 round rolling average of 128.3 - in some serious form lately, runs out games very well/suited to the new rules & less rotations with his running power. Lions play their final 4 games of the season at home also btw so can see him finishing the season strongly.

Hope that helps.