Discussion 2021: Strategy, Team & Player Discussions

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
With our 2020 teams starting to take their final shape, some of us are turning our minds to 2021 ...

Who benefits if games return to their normal length? Who drops off?

Who has just had a down year, or carried a niggle and could be good value? And who could break out?

This is the best place to discuss!

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With our 2020 teams starting to take their final shape, some of us are turning our minds to 2021 ...

Who has just had a down year, or carried a niggle and could be good value? And who could break out?

T Mitchell.

Should be priced around 650,000 (give or take $25,000)

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s probably my most locked player at this stage.

Super durable (when not LTIed), one of the competition’s genuinely elite scorers, has played pretty ordinarily for much of the year, and not looked right - and he’s still averaging 116. Should benefit from another pre season post his injury too.

Reminds me a lot of Oliver 12 months ago, except that Mitchell has already gone a level higher before.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

S Docherty hopefully at a starting price under $550,000.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

@Tamuhawk

E Yeo and S Hurn- :unsure:

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

1 forward position sorted: I Heeney

Lowest starting price since 2016 and should be safe for another season around the 95+ range.

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And who could break out?
Suspect he'll be a MID only, but won't be surprised at all for Luke Davies-Uniacke to break out in a similar fashion to Jy Simpkin this year.

Injuries and slightly slower development means he's probably 12 months behind Brayshaw, Cerra, Clark, Coffield and Worpel from that draft. But really, really like him as a player, and he's starting to look like he belongs at the level.

Will be tracking his next month of footy closely, if he holds FWD he'd be hard to pass up given he'll just about be in the main MID rotation you'd think at NTH.

Last edited:

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Rookies could be tough/thin next year, with so many Junior comps and 2nd tier leagues not playing at all this year.
Coupled with this years condensed AFL fixture, we've seen plenty of debutants (that we may not have if it had been a normal season), and could/will see plenty more over these last five rounds I think.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Would
Will Kelly and Matt Rowell be decent options next year? Or r they worth giving a round or 2 to prove that the injuries didnt break them?

AFL Club
North Melb.
One of the things I did this year that I wouldn‘t normally do is to trade out the early underperforming premiums and mid-pricers to get the clear must haves. Generally I would hope my earlier under-performers come good and the early super-scorers come off and pick them up much later. Historically this has lead to frustrating and generally unenjoyable years. Death-riding the big scorers is no fun.

The trades I speak of are as follows.
Round 3 - B Smith & Dusty > Gawn & Sturt
Round 4 - T Lynch & Noble > Neale & Hamill
Round 7 - Ceglar & Sturt > Ridley & Rankine

This year I have improved my ranking from 50797 after round 3 to 5259 after round 12 and am expecting a further improvement this week. I doubt I would have done that without the aforementioned trades.

Now I know the extra trades this year has afforded some of these luxuries however equally the 2nd week price changes has also resulted in a lot of burnt trades to generate cash. On balance I would do the same thing next year if the season and SC rules return to normal.