Position Forwards Discussion

Which forwards will you be starting outside of Danger/Heeney? (new poll 4/3/19)

• Gray $526k

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Mundy $521k

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • Menegola $543k

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • McLean $514k

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Kelly $506k

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Boak $477k

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Billings $438k

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Gresham $430k

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Worpel $396k

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Greene $354k

Votes: 33 25.8%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is jack darling relevant take his injury games out of it he ave 97. They are saying his having a really good preseason. POD?
Bound to face the classic KPF issue... consistency.

Started like a house on fire, 108 after 10, without JJK for a lot of it, which I think has to be factored in. From round 10 only averaged 70 (incl finals) and yes I understand injuries were involved in dragging that avg down.

The point for me here is I think it highlights the sort of frustration you'll go through with high scores mixed in with some really terrible scores, and at just under $500k I think there would be more consistent and 'safer' options.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
Is jack darling relevant take his injury games out of it he ave 97. They are saying his having a really good preseason. POD?
very hard to maintain unless u think eagles can win the flag again. Struggles really bad without JJK and im expecting kennedy to miss a few this year

AFL Club
Collingwood
Bound to face the classic KPF issue... consistency.

Started like a house on fire, 108 after 10, without JJK for a lot of it, which I think has to be factored in. From round 10 only averaged 70 (incl finals) and yes I understand injuries were involved in dragging that avg down.

The point for me here is I think it highlights the sort of frustration you'll go through with high scores mixed in with some really terrible scores, and at just under $500k I think there would be more consistent and 'safer' options.
very hard to maintain unless u think eagles can win the flag again. Struggles really bad without JJK and im expecting kennedy to miss a few this year
Darling is just too inconsistent for me, with or without Kennedy playing.
After 8 seasons, his highest average was last year, 86.9 (or as BigBoy says, 97 excluding his injury games). Will be 27yo this year, not a bad age.

AFL Club
Essendon
Did someone say expect Wingard to be in around 50% of teams? I really do not believe hawks got him to run though the middle, and no one knows. If i was to make an assumption on how he will go i'd say it would be much the same as we have seen. He seems to pick up a soft tissue injury from time to time from memory. Danger, heeney, smith and dunkley all preferred personally.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did someone say expect Wingard to be in around 50% of teams? I really do not believe hawks got him to run though the middle, and no one knows. If i was to make an assumption on how he will go i'd say it would be much the same as we have seen. He seems to pick up a soft tissue injury from time to time from memory. Danger, heeney, smith and dunkley all preferred personally.
Add Menegola, Hoff and Gray to that list and it's a compelling argument to say he's not top 6. Add Hawkins, Buddy and perhaps JRoo and he might not even be top 10. I see 105 as top out which relies on plenty of mid time, which is far from guaranteed, but a bloody good pick if it comes off.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
I do agree that the Hawks wouldn’t have gotten him to run through the middle but they don’t have many options if he doesn’t. I think he’s worth considering though as a 95-100 avg would put him in the top 6-8.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Training reports from bomberblitz re JD. Reading a bit more positive for JD this week but still early days. Still in the rehab group.

I am pleased to say it looked like Daniher and McKenna in particular had stepped up their training in the modified group. They both did numerous sprints at a much higher intensity than previously and didn’t to my eyes show any particular discomfit apart from natural tiredness. Not to discredit any previous reports at all but that was what I saw today. Daniher as part of a drill kicked a couple of balls across his body from about 50 without any discomfort which I also took as a good sign.

Joe definitely stepped up his training load today, came out on the track around 11:30. He was on the other oval doing sprints and agility then some short sharp leads and kicking for goal from about 25m. He looks to be gradually building, however he did not perform any explosive movements or leap for his marks. Power must be the next progression

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Training reports from bomberblitz re JD. Reading a bit more positive for JD this week but still early days. Still in the rehab group.

I am pleased to say it looked like Daniher and McKenna in particular had stepped up their training in the modified group. They both did numerous sprints at a much higher intensity than previously and didn’t to my eyes show any particular discomfit apart from natural tiredness. Not to discredit any previous reports at all but that was what I saw today. Daniher as part of a drill kicked a couple of balls across his body from about 50 without any discomfort which I also took as a good sign.

Joe definitely stepped up his training load today, came out on the track around 11:30. He was on the other oval doing sprints and agility then some short sharp leads and kicking for goal from about 25m. He looks to be gradually building, however he did not perform any explosive movements or leap for his marks. Power must be the next progression
Someone’s a bit keen to get JD in their starting side ;). Would need to tear the JLT wide open for me to consider him.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Someone’s a bit keen to get JD in their starting side ;). Would need to tear the JLT wide open for me to consider him.
Haha I think he’s unlikely to tear apart the JLT. Still worth monitoring for R1 as if he’s unavailable ZClarke might get a gig.

AFL Club
Melbourne
Has anyone given any thought to Toby McLean v Dunkley?
McLean was awesome up until R10 last year, averaging 111 in that time before getting injured (shoulder from memory). He didn’t miss any games, but it was all downhill for him from there.
Dunkley obviously finished the year really well and seems to be on a few coaches radars.

My question is this - can McLean bounce back to his early 2018 form and if so, is there any risk that this could negatively impact Dunkley?

AFL Club
Essendon
McLean was awesome up until R10 last year, averaging 111 in that time before getting injured (shoulder from memory). He didn’t miss any games, but it was all downhill for him from there.
Dunkley obviously finished the year really well and seems to be on a few coaches radars.

My question is this - can McLean bounce back to his early 2018 form and if so, is there any risk that this could negatively impact Dunkley?
To me, from a selection point of view, they've basically cancelled each other out. Libba won't help.

AFL Club
Collingwood

The way I see it, Dunkley (190cm) is bigger and tougher then McLean (180cm), so better suited as the middle player choice.
McLean played in the midfield from approx. mid 2017 to mid 2018 and only once scored over 130 pts. Dunkley played approx. only from mid 2018 and scored over 130 pts 3 times. Not great stats, but Dunkley seems to be the better player in the Mid.
Another observation, because Dunkley played so well in the middle, why would Beverage not keep him playing there? So I don't see Liberatore as a worry.

AFL Club
Collingwood
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/ff1e16b385b9e694471ebaed7fd27f90

West Coast premiership forward Jack Darling claims he's fitter and lighter than last season, adding he's determined to return to the career-best form he flirted with last year before injury struck.

Darling booted 48 goals during an injury-interrupted 2018 campaign yet returned to Eagles pre-season training ahead of schedule to get a head start.

And that move has already paid dividends.

"I think my results in the 2km (time trial) and skinfolds are probably a little bit better than last year, so might be onto something with a bit of a longer break," Darling said.

AFL Club
Essendon
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/ff1e16b385b9e694471ebaed7fd27f90

West Coast premiership forward Jack Darling claims he's fitter and lighter than last season, adding he's determined to return to the career-best form he flirted with last year before injury struck.

Darling booted 48 goals during an injury-interrupted 2018 campaign yet returned to Eagles pre-season training ahead of schedule to get a head start.

And that move has already paid dividends.

"I think my results in the 2km (time trial) and skinfolds are probably a little bit better than last year, so might be onto something with a bit of a longer break," Darling said.
Can definitely see him returning to some of that form from last year, I think most of us have always thought he had the potential. The guy who picks him has a massive pair of balls.

AFL Club
Richmond
I have been reading back through the last couple of pages and I reckon you blokes have almost convinced me to pick Lynch, usually avoid KPFs and just whack as many midfielders in my team as possible, and there are plenty of them on offer up forward this year.

The extra cash left over let me turn a rookie into Roberton too so that's factoring into the decision atm as well.

AFL Club
St Kilda
I have been reading back through the last couple of pages and I reckon you blokes have almost convinced me to pick Lynch, usually avoid KPFs and just whack as many midfielders in my team as possible, and there are plenty of them on offer up forward this year.

The extra cash left over let me turn a rookie into Roberton too so that's factoring into the decision atm as well.
I’ve got money on Lynch for the Coleman.

Do it.

AFL Club
West Coast
It is interesting that there are virtually no high end forwards with a rd 14 bye. In an attempt to get a suitable set up for the byes it takes away effectively one third of your options and means the def and mids need to take up the spread. Jroo is the highest priced rd 14 bye. It makes the Tigers T Lynch a bit more attractive to those considering him. A fit Toby Greene might be handy as well but I think his fitness problems make him problematic as a selection.

AFL Club
Collingwood
It is interesting that there are virtually no high end forwards with a rd 14 bye. In an attempt to get a suitable set up for the byes it takes away effectively one third of your options and means the def and mids need to take up the spread. Jroo is the highest priced rd 14 bye. It makes the Tigers T Lynch a bit more attractive to those considering him. A fit Toby Greene might be handy as well but I think his fitness problems make him problematic as a selection.
We are all in the same boat, so it could balance out. Also, there might be some Rookies that could fill the void, like a Setterfield and a Corbett.

AFL Club
North Melb.
It's been mentioned a few times, but is it some sort of record to have 3 forward eligible players from the same club who averaged 100 in the previous season? Dangerfield, Menegola and Hawkins fit the bill.

Some on here are backing Tim Kelly to improve to around that mark as well and there has been some buzz around Parfitt as an up and coming prospect with a high ceiling. Just where are all these points going to come from? (Remembering Duncan also averaged 106 and Selwood 105)

Hawkins had a massive spike which I don't think he'll repeat; Menegola seems pretty consistent; Danger is Danger so I'm going to say TK doesn't make a big jump:
Danger - 120+
(Selwood|Duncan) - 100-105
Menegola - 100
TK - 95
Parfitt - 85
Hawkins - 85

What do people think of that?

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
It's been mentioned a few times, but is it some sort of record to have 3 forward eligible players from the same club who averaged 100 in the previous season? Dangerfield, Menegola and Hawkins fit the bill.

Some on here are backing Tim Kelly to improve to around that mark as well and there has been some buzz around Parfitt as an up and coming prospect with a high ceiling. Just where are all these points going to come from? (Remembering Duncan also averaged 106 and Selwood 105)

Hawkins had a massive spike which I don't think he'll repeat; Menegola seems pretty consistent; Danger is Danger so I'm going to say TK doesn't make a big jump:
Danger - 120+
(Selwood|Duncan) - 100-105
Menegola - 100
TK - 95
Parfitt - 85
Hawkins - 85

What do people think of that?
There’s also Luke Dahlhaus, Ablett and also Rohan