Position Forwards Discussion

Which forwards will you be starting outside of Danger/Heeney? (new poll 4/3/19)

• Gray $526k

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Mundy $521k

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • Menegola $543k

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • McLean $514k

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Kelly $506k

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Boak $477k

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Billings $438k

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Gresham $430k

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Worpel $396k

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Greene $354k

Votes: 33 25.8%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Collingwood
I wonder if the game has evolved since the days of permanent C , RR & R and 2nd R ?.

Perhaps teams now have 10-12 players they run through the mids in spurts due to the pace of the game , situation , match ups , to be less predictable etc etc

The pace of the modern game may no longer allow players to play 70% mid time consistently week after week.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And that’s the question we all wish we had the answer to!

Unfortunately or fortunately the strength of the dogs midfield causes us all sorts of SC grief. I think Dunkley needs to be developed in the midfield and finding that balance is obviously difficult.
I've looked at this so many times ...

They have no key forwards so need to pull something out of thin air each week IMO ...
- Naughton bobbed up this week but is that sustainable ... I doubt it ... awesome game by the lad though IMO ... one for the ages ...

So where do I see them ... defence looks solid, have a shed load of ball winning midfielders and English in the ruck looks solid ..
- where do the goals come from is still the big question ...

Dunks in the midfield is a no brainer to me .... not really cutting it as a M/F but is still good where he finished last year ...
- Bont I'd love as a permanent mid but Naughton is going to need help and really who else has shown they can float forward and have an impact

They don't really have the forwards for a bomb it long game plan - see the FRE game ... but if they can control possession are a very dangerous opponent ...

So that brings me to McLean and Libba ... I don't see either as the forward line solution ... I have some pretty out there thoughts but to me you always play your players in the position they are best at ...

I recall Roos'y saying that you set the DEF, MID and RUC positions first and then go from there ... looking at this team on paper it's not quite that easy ...

So no real answers yet TBH ... need some goal kickers is still the bottom line for me ..

Last edited:
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wonder if the game has evolved since the days of permanent C , RR & R and 2nd R ?.

Perhaps teams now have 10-12 players they run through the mids in spurts due to the pace of the game , situation , match ups , to be less predictable etc etc

The pace of the modern game may no longer allow players to play 70% mid time consistently week after week.
It's working for the Pies. :)

AFL Club
Adelaide
Is there a specific reason Darcy Parish has gone bunta over the last 2 weeks? One game against Carlton (129), fair enough but the game before against Richmond (137), is it just a purple patch or is he full time mid? What's going on Bomber supporters?

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do you think it's better go for the more consistent Boak or save money and get Heeney,?

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Is there a specific reason Darcy Parish has gone bunta over the last 2 weeks? One game against Carlton (129), fair enough but the game before against Richmond (137), is it just a purple patch or is he full time mid? What's going on Bomber supporters?
Would love it to be the start of a genuine breakout. Have him in draft.

I think Santoz is right, has enjoyed the more contested style of play with a few rain affected games. Additional mid time of late with Shiel and Smith out.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you think it's better go for the more consistent Boak or save money and get Heeney,?
I can't work Heeney out. When he gets the ball, he uses it very well, but for some reason, unknown to me, he doesn't get the ball often. I see him floating all over the field, but doesn't get involved much in the play. It looks like to me that he doesn't read the play well, but I really don't know.
You are right about him being an inconsistent scorer. He's in my team and I find him frustrating.

I can't work Heeney out. When he gets the ball, he uses it very well, but for some reason, unknown to me, he doesn't get the ball often. I see him floating all over the field, but doesn't get involved much in the play. It looks like to me that he doesn't read the play well, but I really don't know.
You are right about him being an inconsistent scorer. He's in my team and I find him frustrating.
When you don't have a dominant ruckman and you do have several solid clearance players in front of you a player like Heeney often finds himself skirting the contest, meaning he misses out on all those contested knock ons, handballs, tackles and clearances / score involvements that midfielders generally dine out on.

Personally I'm backing him in hoping that the issues with his ankle sort themselves out over the bye week and he comes on strong over the second half of the season.

As an aside Sydney have a soft-ish draw in the back half, including games against Carlton and GC, and with Zak Jones and JPK out for a few weeks there's more midfield time up for grabs in the near future, although it would have been nice for their next game to not be against the Eagles in that respect.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Think I'll take a chance with Heeney too... As it means I can probably bring in a Neale in 2 weeks or so.