Position Forwards Discussion

Which forwards will you be starting outside of Danger/Heeney? (new poll 4/3/19)

• Gray $526k

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Mundy $521k

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • Menegola $543k

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • McLean $514k

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Kelly $506k

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Boak $477k

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Billings $438k

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Gresham $430k

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Worpel $396k

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Greene $354k

Votes: 33 25.8%

• Total voters

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Freo now have a number of talls, Hogan, Lobb, McCarthy, Taberner, & Cox.
I like selecting Fwds who play in the Midfield and I recall seeing HOGAN play some midfield roles last year. I am not sure how much time he played mid, or if he was good playing there? I know he has good endurance and think Ross might play him midfield a lot and so he could be a good scorer. He'll be 24yo and can score quite high.
Hogan only got a partial stress fracture and 2 weeks ago he started running, but not sure if he will be ready for Rd1, will have to monitor that.

Any opinions if he is worth including on my 'For Consideration' list?

Tuesday, 14 August 2018
Jesse Hogan to miss the rest of the season after scans confirmed he had suffered a partial stress fracture in the navicular bone in his right foot......"It's just a crack so it's not disastrous. We caught it pretty early," Hogan said...…...it didn't crack all the way through thankfully so I won't require surgery or anything but it's enough to keep me out for the rest of the season."
Mitch Cleary and Ben Guthrie for AFL.com.au
I’m no Freo expert (although we have a couple of those), but my initial reaction is that they have been absolutely desperate for a KPF since even before Pav retired, and they’ve finally managed to land one ... so I’d expect they would play him there (at least for the most part).

I could see scenarios where Hogan gets more time up the field (maybe McCarthy clicks, or Fyfe goes down?) but I would be surprised if it’s the base case.

AFL Club
Sydney
I see where you guys are coming from in discussing KPFs; but, they are not for me. I'll stick with mids who are classified as F/M, and a healthy dollop of rookies.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m no Freo expert (although we have a couple of those), but my initial reaction is that they have been absolutely desperate for a KPF since even before Pav retired, and they’ve finally managed to land one ... so I’d expect they would play him there (at least for the most part).

I could see scenarios where Hogan gets more time up the field (maybe McCarthy clicks, or Fyfe goes down?) but I would be surprised if it’s the base case.
Thanks for that Darkie, I was hoping Hogan may be used upfield, taking advantage of his endurance. If FRE want him for that KPF, then I won't touch him, I'll play safe.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks for that Darkie, I was hoping Hogan may be used upfield, taking advantage of his endurance. If FRE want him for that KPF, then I won't touch him, I'll play safe.
No worries mate. I'd defer to a proper expert like @freowho or @The Experiment, but I reckon he'll play closer to goal.

AFL Club
Adelaide
I saw snippets of Brennan Cox last year and liked what I saw purely from a football perspective. Would like to know the Freo members thoughts on him as a footballer and maybe supercoach down the track.

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
From today’s training/match sim. Cockatoo ($191k) trained away from main group and did 1km runs, Menegola ($543k) didn’t train as he recovers from a knee cleanout.

The entire session lasted more than two-and-a-half hours with Tim Kelly ($506k), Brandan Parfitt ($434k) and Luke Dahlhaus ($418k) among the standouts in a prolonged period of match simulation.

Last edited:

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
From today’s training/match sim. Cockatoo ($191k) trained away from main group and did 1km runs, Menegola ($543k) didn’t train as he recovers from a knee cleanout.

The entire session lasted more than two-and-a-half hours with Tim Kelly ($506k), Brandan Parfitt ($434k) and Luke Dahlhaus ($418k) among the standouts in a prolonged period of match simulation.
Didn’t realize Menegola was having an interrupted preseason as well

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Daniher ($278k) update. Rd 1 sounds unlikely.

ESSENDON spearhead Joe Daniher was absent from the track on Thursday, but missed the session due to contracting conjunctivitis and not because of the troublesome groin injury that has hampered his last nine months.
——
It is understood Daniher will also miss Friday's session at Tullamarine as the Bombers take a cautious approach with his health.

Before Christmas, coach John Worsfold cast doubt over whether the star forward would be ready to play in round one due to his problematic groin complaint.

"Joey's working really hard. That OP (osteitis pubis) injury can be a chronic, crippling injury so our No.1 priority is that it doesn't linger and affect multiple seasons for Joey," Worsfold said at Essendon's annual general meeting in December.

"He's still coming into his prime years, so if the sake of him absolutely getting over this injury means it actually takes a little bit longer than him being absolutely ready for round one then we'll do that."

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Me too. I think I prefer Kelly anyway but if Dahl looks good in the preseason and Cockatoo is GTG it’s prob too many cats to start with in addition to Danger.

AFL Club
Fremantle
When I look at Kelly and Menegola's stats from last year the two that standout to me are that Kelly had a lot more clearances and Menegola had a lot more marks (and contested marks). I think if anyone benefits from Gary Ablett going forward it is Tim Kelly spending more time chasing the ball. He reminds me a lot of Daniel Wells.

IDIG

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone willing to take a gamble on Parfait?
Third year breakout candidate you reckon?

2017 - 12 games @ 54
2018 - 18 games @ 80
2019 - 24 games @ 106? :p

This was from a match sim in December -

Teammate Brandan Parfitt is also showing all of the signs that point to him being ready to take up a permanent role in the Cats’ engine room, with his class by foot catching the eye of onlookers

AFL Club
Melbourne
Daniher ($278k) update. Rd 1 sounds unlikely.

ESSENDON spearhead Joe Daniher was absent from the track on Thursday, but missed the session due to contracting conjunctivitis and not because of the troublesome groin injury that has hampered his last nine months.
——
It is understood Daniher will also miss Friday's session at Tullamarine as the Bombers take a cautious approach with his health.

Before Christmas, coach John Worsfold cast doubt over whether the star forward would be ready to play in round one due to his problematic groin complaint.

"Joey's working really hard. That OP (osteitis pubis) injury can be a chronic, crippling injury so our No.1 priority is that it doesn't linger and affect multiple seasons for Joey," Worsfold said at Essendon's annual general meeting in December.

"He's still coming into his prime years, so if the sake of him absolutely getting over this injury means it actually takes a little bit longer than him being absolutely ready for round one then we'll do that."
Can't see and can't run....... It doesn't sound good for the big fella :oops:

Probably caught the conjuctivitis from one of those "one eyed" Essendon supporters we hear so much about :p

AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone considering not starting Danger? Tactical genius move? The poll here had him at 96%...

He's locked and loaded in my side, as I'm not smart enough to use the cash i would save but just curious if anyone has a different view to the majority.

AFL Club
Collingwood
trying to remember , did Daniher end up having the operation for his OP issue or did they go down the rest/recovery path ?

Anyone considering not starting Danger? Tactical genius move? The poll here had him at 96%...

He's locked and loaded in my side, as I'm not smart enough to use the cash i would save but just curious if anyone has a different view to the majority.
Not me, would prefer to start without the likes of Grundy,Macrae,Gawn and Titch. At the moment I only have Titch from those 4.