Which team wins a final first?

• Essendon

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Tasmania

Votes: 48 71.6%

• Total voters
AFL Club
Collingwood
Update from HS re: SuperCoach. Basically, at this stage it’s all systems go. Round 1 counts and we will resume once the footy is back.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...Z5LAAPZFXVYWvbkiqMcrQw3z2SJYOQ9jqOXItMRYK1hug
I think we should have more trades then 2, for Rd 2, to adjust our teams.
There were a number of players that I would have liked to select that were not fit to play Rd1, but could be available for Rd2 (Bennell :)). And these, fit players, may take the places of the Rookies that we were kind of forced to select, because the ones we wanted were injured.
Also, with the shorter quarters, I would rather select other Keepers that I think would be more suited to the shorter quarters (now that we have some idea which players are more suited).

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFLPA agrees to massive pay cuts after monster AFL request
AFL players have pledged an immediate 50 per cent pay cut for at least the next two months, just hours after they were hit with a heavier request from the AFL.
AFL.com.au understands the League's initial wish was for the players' wages to be slashed by 79 per cent...........It will now need to be negotiated with the AFL..............

............. Players will continue to train individually but will be away from clubs until at least the end of April given they're required a month's notice before they're informed they can return to play............. A host of players have returned to their home states............ Clubs' football departments will be reduced to a 'skeleton' staff............

................Meanwhile, Essendon's Conor McKenna headlines a number of Irish players who have opted to return home before national borders are closed officially around the globe. ..............

https://www.afl.com.au/news/389987/aflpa-agrees-to-massive-pay-cuts-after-monster-afl-request

AFL Club
Collingwood
..............McLachlan still wants to get the remaining 16 rounds of a shortened 17-round season started as soon as medical experts give the green light.
"The AFL plan is to play all remaining 144 games plus finals this year," he said.
"The competition will need to be agile and flexible on when those games are scheduled and when play returns.
"We are prepared to run as late as possible in 2020 to complete the season if it is required."

The ICC T20 World Cup will be in full swing and in control of AFL Grand Final stage the MCG during October and November, to which a delayed premiership season might extend.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/389982/afl-stands-down-majority-of-workforce

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
..............McLachlan still wants to get the remaining 16 rounds of a shortened 17-round season started as soon as medical experts give the green light.
"The AFL plan is to play all remaining 144 games plus finals this year," he said.
"The competition will need to be agile and flexible on when those games are scheduled and when play returns.
"We are prepared to run as late as possible in 2020 to complete the season if it is required."

The ICC T20 World Cup will be in full swing and in control of AFL Grand Final stage the MCG during October and November, to which a delayed premiership season might extend.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/389982/afl-stands-down-majority-of-workforce
I always found it a bit odd that they always said it could extend until Dec (why not Nov? Or Jan?) ... but maybe it’s so that the cricket is done and they can potentially try to relay the square for a GF at the G?

Not sure of the mechanics, but having it set up for cricket (Nov), footy (early Dec) and then cricket (BBL and Boxing Day) seems ambitious.

Hopefully it’s a fixturing problem that will matter by then.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I always found it a bit odd that they always said it could extend until Dec (why not Nov? Or Jan?) ... but maybe it’s so that the cricket is done and they can potentially try to relay the square for a GF at the G?

Not sure of the mechanics, but having it set up for cricket (Nov), footy (early Dec) and then cricket (BBL and Boxing Day) seems ambitious.

Hopefully it’s a fixturing problem that will matter by then.
I think the G would be their preferred option but if not they would probably have Marvel as their backup plan.

As it stands now June , July , August , September for the remaining 16 rounds without factoring in 3-4 day breaks in between rounds.

I wonder if the ICC is looking into swapping Australia & India around as the hosts for the T20 2020 & 2021 World Cups in any case.

I guess we just have to wait until the end of April for a update.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the G would be their preferred option but if not they would probably have Marvel as their backup plan.

As it stands now June , July , August , September for the remaining 16 rounds without factoring in 3-4 day breaks in between rounds.

I wonder if the ICC is looking into swapping Australia & India around as the hosts for the T20 2020 & 2021 World Cups in any case.

I guess we just have to wait until the end of April for a update.
Interesting - what would be the advantage of a switch?

AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting - what would be the advantage of a switch?
Maybe safer to hold this year's event in India rather than Australia.

If the IPL is completely cancelled , they are currently looking at July - September as a option either in India or elsewhere the BCCI might have severe financial issues as well.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
How to calculate round 2 BE for those still interested.

The formula:
BE=(A*3/MN)-(B*2)
BE=Brake Even
A= Current salary
MN=Magic Numcer=5306
B= Round 1 score
(Current salary X 3/MN)-(Round 1score X 2)

So for Budarick we have:
($106900X3/5306)-(44*2)
=60.44-88
=28.44 rounded to28

For B. Grundy
($705900X3/5306)-(179X2)
=399.11-358
=41.67 rounded to 41

AFL Club
Collingwood

The formula:
BE=(A*3/MN)-(B*2)
BE=Brake Even
A= Current salary
MN=Magic Numcer=5306
B= Round 1 score

So for Budarick we have:
($106900X3/5306)-(44*2)
=60.44-88
=28.44 rounded to28

For B. Grundy
($705900X3/5306)-(179X2)
=399.11-358
=41.67 rounded to 41
Does that mean the formula has changed again ?

I thought I read the first score was going to be the PTA score then add in the actual score ?

Grundy's BE shows as 90 & -4 for Budarick.

Last edited:

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
AFLPA agrees to massive pay cuts after monster AFL request
AFL players have pledged an immediate 50 per cent pay cut for at least the next two months, just hours after they were hit with a heavier request from the AFL.
AFL.com.au understands the League's initial wish was for the players' wages to be slashed by 79 per cent...........It will now need to be negotiated with the AFL..............

............. Players will continue to train individually but will be away from clubs until at least the end of April given they're required a month's notice before they're informed they can return to play............. A host of players have returned to their home states............ Clubs' football departments will be reduced to a 'skeleton' staff............

................Meanwhile, Essendon's Conor McKenna headlines a number of Irish players who have opted to return home before national borders are closed officially around the globe. ..............

https://www.afl.com.au/news/389987/aflpa-agrees-to-massive-pay-cuts-after-monster-afl-request
You would hope that common sense might shine through, and they set a base first.
eg Players to take a cut of 50% of what they earn over $50,000.
Otherwise the lower earners are really copping it in the neck, compared to their "rich" team mates!

AFL Club
Hawthorn

The formula:
BE=(A*3/MN)-(B*2)
BE=Brake Even
A= Current salary
MN=Magic Numcer=5306
B= Round 1 score

So for Budarick we have:
($106900X3/5306)-(44*2)
=60.44-88
=28.44 rounded to28

For B. Grundy
($705900X3/5306)-(179X2)
=399.11-358
=41.67 rounded to 41
The above was correct until last night, but since SC has changed the formula to this:
The formula:
BE=(A*2/MN)-B
BE=Brake Even
A= Current salary
MN=Magic Numcer=5240
B= Round 1 score
(Current salary X 2/MN)-(Round 1score)

For B. Grundy
($705900X2/5240)-(179)
=269.42-179
=90.42 rounded to 90

Philzsay

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Lol. For some reason this reminds me of one of David Kings fancy stats graphs on foxfooty he had last year or the year before; which on an x and y graph showed where various teams over the years plotted with scoring averages on one axis verses defence scoring conceeded averages on the other, the whole idea was to see where Premiership teams sat.

Premiership teams tended to be in or close to the one quadrant which King stated words to the effect of "Premiership teams tend to score more and conceed less scores against them".

And I'm like thinking - No kidding Sherlock, my primary school kid could tell you that. Fancy that, who the hell would have thought that if you kick more goals and conceed less goals than most others that you may be a chance to win the Premiership...

AFL Club
Collingwood
Do crowds influence umpires? Is the 'noise of affirmation' real?
Round one provided a small snapshot of how much the home crowd can actually sway the umpires' decisions
By Marc McGowan - 1 hr ago

EVERYONE in AFL football has heard of the 'noise of affirmation' but at the weekend we discovered the 'confirmation of silence'.
The sample size is small but what evidence there is of how games would be umpired without crowds confirms the suspicion we probably all had.
All of the AFL's nine round one matches were as good as played in front of empty stadiums, owing to the coronavirus outbreak – and the free kick counts made for interesting reading...........

https://www.afl.com.au/news/390037/do-crowds-influence-umpires-is-the-noise-of-affirmation-real-

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do crowds influence umpires? Is the 'noise of affirmation' real?
Round one provided a small snapshot of how much the home crowd can actually sway the umpires' decisions
By Marc McGowan - 1 hr ago

EVERYONE in AFL football has heard of the 'noise of affirmation' but at the weekend we discovered the 'confirmation of silence'.
The sample size is small but what evidence there is of how games would be umpired without crowds confirms the suspicion we probably all had.
All of the AFL's nine round one matches were as good as played in front of empty stadiums, owing to the coronavirus outbreak – and the free kick counts made for interesting reading...........

https://www.afl.com.au/news/390037/do-crowds-influence-umpires-is-the-noise-of-affirmation-real-
This is an interesting one ... I think the cleanest way to test the theory would have been to simply compare free kicks for each team, comparing home vs away. Some of the numbers are so large that it seems there is likely some favoritism, but it’s also possible that some teams are just fairer than others.