Discussion Music Discussion

AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure if anyone follows youtube history too closely but this is one of the first clips to go really viral and go huge on the internet/youtube. It pretty much changed the whole video viewing landscape in many ways. Very cool and such a basic idea but visually very effective.

Reminds me of the free hugs song (i call it). I remember stumbling across this years ago and probably still give it a watch every year or so for feelgood vibes etc.

Thanks for posting the sick puppies “free hugs” vid. I remember it well though it had been lost in the deep recesses of my mind. Rather poignant given where the world is at the momen. My fave was the young dude running and diving at him

AFL Club
Richmond
Lads and Ladettes,

I’d been absent for here for a bit, cos, well footy.... Reckon I could fill a page or two here over time. In no particular order, starting with the band that has been with me for 29 years, through thick and thin, highs and lows is Pearl Jam. I could spend a week writing about them, but perhaps I will start with the song that brought me to purchase Ten, and become a life long fan, Even Flow, with clips from the Moore Theater and Ed getting pissed at Josh the director cos it wa impinging on his art... lets see if this works...

AFL Club
Richmond
My second or third favourite song would be Present Tense. No Code the album is an absolute work of art.

They did a gig, after the Letterman show for about 500 fans, and played Tense and Got the crowd to sing “the bit”. If you’re a PJ fan, you’ll know what I mean, but every single fan is losing their mind

AFL Club
Richmond
Jane’s addiction. Soundgarden, Gunners, AC/DC, Hilltop Hoods, Aerosmith, Cosmic Pychos all coming later, but if I am ever in the need for simple plain fun, I play this and it sticks in my head for weeks. Like right now :)

The w w w w weekend is the weekend and it’s sunny in the park..

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lads and Ladettes,

I’d been absent for here for a bit, cos, well footy.... Reckon I could fill a page or two here over time. In no particular order, starting with the band that has been with me for 29 years, through thick and thin, highs and lows is Pearl Jam. I could spend a week writing about them, but perhaps I will start with the song that brought me to purchase Ten, and become a life long fan, Even Flow, with clips from the Moore Theater and Ed getting pissed at Josh the director cos it wa impinging on his art... lets see if this works...

Pearl Jam-
http://pearljamlive.com/download.html
34 free live albums from 1990 to 2014 available for download.

AFL Club
West Coast
I have a ton of live Pearl Jam shows, and love listening to them live... They always change-up their setlist's on tour so you never know what you are going to get each night, and they aren't afraid of playing deep cuts and rarities live either. Seen them Live several times and they never disappoint.

This is them performing Throw Your Arms Around Me with Mark Seymour of Hunters & Collectors. I was at this show an saw this performance live... I was about 10 rows from the stage. A real privilege to be their that night for this...

Last edited:

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have a ton of live Pearl Jam shows, and love listening to them live... They always change-up their setlist's on tour so you never know what you are going to get each night, and they aren't afraid of playing deep cuts and rarities live either. Seen them Live several times and they never disappoint.

This is them performing Throw Your Arms Around Me with Mark Seymour of Hunters & Collectors. I was at this show an saw this performance live... I was about 10 rows from the stage. A real privilege to be their that night for this...

You can probably correct me if I'm wrong, LITS.
Pearl Jam used this song occassionaly in their live gigs (This song is "our song" for my wife and I). Eddie Vedder had great respect for Mark Seymour and his music, and flew him over just to do this with them live. At the time, Mark Seymour had given up music, and gone back to teaching. Apparantly this respect shown by Vedder and Pearl Jam inspired Seymour to get back into music!

AFL Club
Collingwood

Your video clip didn't want to play, so I enjoyed listening to the video version below instead.

EDIT: Hmmm, this one doesn't want to play on my computer either, hmmm, but it works on YouTube.

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
You can probably correct me if I'm wrong, LITS.
Pearl Jam used this song occassionaly in their live gigs (This song is "our song" for my wife and I). Eddie Vedder had great respect for Mark Seymour and his music, and flew him over just to do this with them live. At the time, Mark Seymour had given up music, and gone back to teaching. Apparantly this respect shown by Vedder and Pearl Jam inspired Seymour to get back into music!
That sounds familiar, I think I have an interview somewhere from Mark Seymour talking about that night somewhere... I'll have a look for it.

Edit... Here it is, it's from 4 years ago... Pretty cool stories from Mark.

I saw the video where you played with Eddie Vedder, which must have been a bit of a thrill for you?

It was good, yeah it was good. It was really off the cuff. For some reason people think it happened in America because of the label copy, but actually it happened in Perth. We were over there doing a North Perth City council event on a lawn somewhere and I went to a radio station to promote the show that afternoon and the presenter said did you know that Pearl Jam were playing at the Burswood Dome? I didn’t know that. Then he said did you know that Eddie Vedder does a version of “Throw Your Arms Around Me” and I’d kind of vaguely heard that. “He’s been playing it all around Australia, are you going to get up?” “Well I hadn’t really considered it.”

My manager was standing in the room and he rang up Frontier Touring and said is there any way we can make this happen? But he didn’t tell me. Five o’clock the next night I get a call that I’ve got to go to the stage door and I’ve just turned up; I’ve never met the guy before in my life. We got let in and I had to stand side stage for 30 or 40 minutes. No dialogue, literally the only time I got to speak to Eddie Vedder was when I was on stage with him. Then we left and that was it. It was great, just completely surreal.

You could see a lot of magic in the video clip.

It was very special. I think the fact that it was so unrehearsed helped a lot, really spontaneous.

It must be validating having someone like that appreciates your music.

Absolutely. An interesting story about him; when Hunters and Collectors were in the States about ’82 or ’83 and we’d finished the American tour and we were in a club in San Diego and the band was on the cusp of breaking up and shortly after that a couple of the guys left the band, it was a cast of thousands in those days so they kind of just left, but there was this whole thing going on in the band room with some guys in one part of the room and a whole lot of guys on the other side of this door, and the security guy knocks on the door and says there’s this bloke outside that wants you sign a record. I was not really interested, but I went out, it was a student gig so there were a lot of kids there. So a kid was there holding a record and said he was a big fan and asked if I could sign a record, pre Jaws of Life, I think it was the first album, and it was Eddie Vedder, but he was just a kid. The album goes right around, everyone in the band signs it, I pass it back to him not knowing who it was and years later the rest is history. He was just a fan. He told me that story. He worked in some oil refinery and he was a budding musician just working part time.

Last edited:
AFL Club
West Coast
Your video clip didn't want to play, so I enjoyed listening to the video version below instead.

EDIT: Hmmm, this one doesn't want to play on my computer either, hmmm, but it works on YouTube.

I've updated my post with a version that seems to be working. Strange it being blocked, but it did appear on Pearl Jam's Live At The Garden DVD so that's likely the reason why it's blocked.

AFL Club
Richmond

I think I'm at around 240 live shows. Started with "aussie dynamo's", Melb night 3 March 1995 that was simulcast on JJJ/RRR, then the 98 Melb show also simulcast, so being an FM recording was great quality. I then started trading bootlegs til I got to about 60 or so, then the 2000 tour happened with every show available. Ditto the 2003 tour that included Australia, and it just escalated from there.

Have seen them 10 times in 3 states, and like you say the setlists are many and varied. Cuppla deep tracks in there too - My PJ stats tracker tells me that ! Thought long and hard about seeing them in LA right now with a mate, before covid shut the world down.

Have Vinyl box sets, Lost Dogs on Vinyl, pretty much everything except Benny (and that is now worth thousands so I don't think that is gonna happen!) and MTV unplugged - but I have that on DVD/CD plus various other formats..

Stone Gossard tells stories about his previous band Green river, with Jeff Ament, and Mark and Steve from Mudhoney, where they went to see Jane's Addiction, and Green River pretty much disbanded on the spot - it was a "What are we even doing, Jane's is where it's at".

Anyway, I have a PJ addiction, and it's been great talking about it - thanks for the opportunity. Now, where is that No Code CD...

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
That sounds familiar, I think I have an interview somewhere from Mark Seymour talking about that night somewhere... I'll have a look for it.

Edit... Here it is, it's from 4 years ago... Pretty cool stories from Mark.

I saw the video where you played with Eddie Vedder, which must have been a bit of a thrill for you?

It was good, yeah it was good. It was really off the cuff. For some reason people think it happened in America because of the label copy, but actually it happened in Perth. We were over there doing a North Perth City council event on a lawn somewhere and I went to a radio station to promote the show that afternoon and the presenter said did you know that Pearl Jam were playing at the Burswood Dome? I didn’t know that. Then he said did you know that Eddie Vedder does a version of “Throw Your Arms Around Me” and I’d kind of vaguely heard that. “He’s been playing it all around Australia, are you going to get up?” “Well I hadn’t really considered it.”

My manager was standing in the room and he rang up Frontier Touring and said is there any way we can make this happen? But he didn’t tell me. Five o’clock the next night I get a call that I’ve got to go to the stage door and I’ve just turned up; I’ve never met the guy before in my life. We got let in and I had to stand side stage for 30 or 40 minutes. No dialogue, literally the only time I got to speak to Eddie Vedder was when I was on stage with him. Then we left and that was it. It was great, just completely surreal.

You could see a lot of magic in the video clip.

It was very special. I think the fact that it was so unrehearsed helped a lot, really spontaneous.

It must be validating having someone like that appreciates your music.

Absolutely. An interesting story about him; when Hunters and Collectors were in the States about ’82 or ’83 and we’d finished the American tour and we were in a club in San Diego and the band was on the cusp of breaking up and shortly after that a couple of the guys left the band, it was a cast of thousands in those days so they kind of just left, but there was this whole thing going on in the band room with some guys in one part of the room and a whole lot of guys on the other side of this door, and the security guy knocks on the door and says there’s this bloke outside that wants you sign a record. I was not really interested, but I went out, it was a student gig so there were a lot of kids there. So a kid was there holding a record and said he was a big fan and asked if I could sign a record, pre Jaws of Life, I think it was the first album, and it was Eddie Vedder, but he was just a kid. The album goes right around, everyone in the band signs it, I pass it back to him not knowing who it was and years later the rest is history. He was just a fan. He told me that story. He worked in some oil refinery and he was a budding musician just working part time.
Thanks for finding, and sharing that, LITS! (y)

AFL Club
Richmond
Following on, given Green River disbanded after hearing Jane’s, here is Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro in all their freaky glory. You’ll notice that Fleas is on bass in the clip As it’s taken from their 97 reunion tour when Navarro was with RHCP. In my top 5 favourite songs ever

enjoy