Opinion Player X vs. Player Y

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Macrae. No uncertainty with his role - he'll be playing midfield every game. Possibly slightly over priced, so can make an argument Dunkley is a better starting pick.

After starting Crisp last year - Houston. Crisp is very wasteful with the ball at times.
Interesting - what are you thinking re Macrae being potentially overpriced?

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Interesting - what are you thinking re Macrae being potentially overpriced?
Just the magic number change through the season - all players start priced higher than their average. I don't see Macrae being able to lift his average much, so he may drop slightly in price if he maintains his 2019 average. It's a nice score to lock in each week, just saying I expect his price will drop a bit at some point in the season, and it is likely he can be picked up cheaper.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just the magic number change through the season - all players start priced higher than their average. I don't see Macrae being able to lift his average much, so he may drop slightly in price if he maintains his 2019 average. It's a nice score to lock in each week, just saying I expect his price will drop a bit at some point in the season, and it is likely he can be picked up cheaper.
Fair call. Personally I tend to look through/ignore the magic number-related drop given it affects all the established players similarly (ie I don’t view a 120 player as overpriced, so long as they’re priced off 120 at whatever time I’m looking at them), but you’re quite right in that it would likely lead to his price coming down.

He did average 127 in 2018 (vs 123 last year) which is a minor potential tailwind, and the reason I asked. Not enough to o***et the MN drop though.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fair call. Personally I tend to look through/ignore the magic number-related drop given it affects all the established players similarly (ie I don’t view a 120 player as overpriced, so long as they’re priced off 120 at whatever time I’m looking at them), but you’re quite right in that it would likely lead to his price coming down.

He did average 127 in 2018 (vs 123 last year) which is a minor potential tailwind, and the reason I asked. Not enough to o***et the MN drop though.
Macrae - his numbers just support starting Macrae over Dunkley and there's less concern around role. I can understand the Dunkley love but it's more a silver bullet pick to try and get a leg up on everyone else rather then a logical choice based on numbers.
J Macrae since post bye 2017: 121.83 from 53 (4/53 below 80, 9/53 below 100, 30/53 120+, 15/53 140+)

AFL Club
Richmond
jake lloyd/ hunter clark vs laird/ jordan dawson. stuck with this selection would love some feed back

AFL Club
Richmond
Having trouble deciding between these 2:
  1. Coniglio / Lycett (Remaining Salary 14K)
  2. Kelly (GWS) / Naitanui (Remaining Salary 18K)
Kelly has been having his best preseason and Coniglio is in the rehab group.
Lycett will play all games and his scoring potential will increase since Ryder left

1579389101667.png

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
jake lloyd/ hunter clark vs laird/ jordan dawson. stuck with this selection would love some feed back
Laird / Dawson

Clark's numbers from last year don't scream out he is going to be a breakout to me, he MIGHT, but I much prefer Dawson of the two to do so. Lloyd I think may be a bit over priced, he started well last season before dropping off a bit, he is one I am targeting as a later trade in. Laird is probably the most consistent defender of any.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
  2. Kelly / Naitanui (Remaining Salary 18K)
Lycett will play all games and his scoring potential will increase since Ryder left

View attachment 14728
Which Kelly?

AFL Club
Hawthorn

View attachment 14728
I haven't looked at many options without Gawn / Grundy honestly. They are locked in.

Cogs / Kelly is a coin flip - as to which gets injured first (I may be a bitter previous owner). Both are capable of going massive, Kelly probably more so.

Naitanui is the best scoring ruck for the time on ground - he is always rested a lot though and does have injury history too. Lycett is capable, but nowhere near Grawndy level.

Cogs/Lycett I guess to minimise your injury risk of those two options if you aren't going for Grawndy.

AFL Club
St Kilda

View attachment 14728
Option 2. Kelly & Nic Nat comfortably

AFL Club
Richmond
I haven't looked at many options without Gawn / Grundy honestly. They are locked in.

Cogs / Kelly is a coin flip - as to which gets injured first (I may be a bitter previous owner). Both are capable of going massive, Kelly probably more so.

Naitanui is the best scoring ruck for the time on ground - he is always rested a lot though and does have injury history too. Lycett is capable, but nowhere near Grawndy level.

Cogs/Lycett I guess to minimise your injury risk of those two options if you aren't going for Grawndy.
Thank you for the feedback, I expect an improvement in Lycett scoring, not as much as last year but a steady progression.
1579390774238.png

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bont+Lycett vs Fyfe+O’Brien
Not an option you listed, but Bont and O'Brien for me out of those.

O'Brien I don't see dropping off significantly and the year of experience should help if anything. If there weren't two dominant rucks, I'd definitely consider him. Lycett I'm not super bullish on, he's capable as I mentioned in my last post, but I definitely prefer O'Brien of the two.

Bont has just turned 24 and is coming off 5 straight 100+ seasons, Fyfe 28 with 7 straight 100+ (3 of them 120+). Fyfe has arguably shown a higher ceiling and has less competition in the team for points, he's probably a bit less durable never playing all 22 matches (Bont has in 3/6 seasons). Either are good selections, I just think Bont is possibly on the improve, Fyfe is at his peak.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Time for me to ask one of these.

Jack Steven v Devon Smith

I am looking at a team structure where I may be only able to fit one of the two in.

AFL Club
Richmond
Time for me to ask one of these.

Jack Steven v Devon Smith

I am looking at a team structure where I may be only able to fit one of the two in.
I would select Devon Smith for the following:
  • Essendon midfield not as mature/less options, Smith more likely to get significant midfield time
  • Stevens turns 30 in March 2020, Geelong will want to inject younger players (speed) in the midfield
  • Luke Dahlhaus did not get any significant midfield time when drafted in 2019

AFL Club
North Melb.
Houston vs Dawson

People seem to be favouring the former, just trying to work out if it's as clear as it appears. From my read:
  • Houston has a bigger ceiling, but it seems pretty dependent on the old "getting more midfield minutes" chestnut
  • Whereas Dawson's 95 average post bye last season came from natural improvement, playing in the same position he will be this year, with the same personnel around (ie. Lloyd wasn't missing games to bump up his scoring)
  • They are both 22 and drafted in the same year, but Houston has had more games into him early in his career.
Anything else to swing it one way or the other?