Opinion Questions For Rowsus

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm not sure. I wasn't 100% happy with it last year, but I do think it serves a purpose.
If someone wants to take it on, or a "consensus" team, that's ok too, otherwise I'll decide closer to round 1.
Consensus team Rowsus - I reckon that's the go. It serves as a useful reference.

AFL Club
Melbourne
Rowsus I was wondering if you might be able to briefly turn your mind to young Aaron Black?

Am warming to him as a mid-price forward option in the injured Motlop price range. This puff piece from North Melbourne may be blurring my vision sightly [http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-01-25/black-is-back-nmfc]

Would love to hear your thoughts on whether you think more game time and a full season will lead to a significant points return.

Thanks again.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi RB,
Firstly on keeping cash. There is nothing wrong with keeping a little cash in reserve. It can help if one of the Rookies you chose early was just the wrong choice, and you need to bring in that higher priced Rookie that has started 95, 98 and has a super low B/E. If it turns out your Rookie choices are ok, the cash makes your first upgrade a bit easier.
The theory of spending as much as your money as you can, is right ...... in theory! You just have to be sure you're not spending the money for the sake of spending it. If you've filled your round 1 side, and have say $130k left, I think you are better to sit on that $130k, unless you think you can make at least a 20-25/week improvement to your side by spending it. The most common mistake in spending this money is turning a Rookie into a Karnezis, because you've convinced yourself he can score 80/week. 9 times out of 10, when you "upgrade" that Rookie to a $230-$300k player, you will regret it, and think later, "I just should have kept the cash!" :(

On keeping cash in the hope that a Premium will fall $200k quickly. The analogy of a trade = $200k is about right, I certainly wouldn't burn an early trade to get $50k. But look how hard it is for a player to drop $200k. We'll use Ablett as an example, as the higher the Price, the bigger the potential to fall quickly.
These figures are only approximate, as we don't have the Magic Numbers for weeks in advance, but according to RAMP, for Ablett to fall $200k by the time he has played:
Round 7 - he'd need to score 88 every game to fall $202,400
Round 6 - he'd need to score 82 every game to fall $203,000.
Two things you can see straight away. First, it's really hard, even for the highest priced players, to fall $200k quickly. Secondly, do you really want to pay $490k for a player who has only scored at 88 for his last 7 games?
Quoted for awesomeness.

I had one cut of my team where I had built it around Gaz, Pendles and players 28 or younger who had dropped 10 or more points from last year. It's a pretty good setup that had close to a half mil in the bank. It might not have scored you too many top 10 finishes, but it gives you 32 trades for the year.

Unfortunately, I chickened out from that approach and now I have a setup tht is heaps more cookie cutter and has 50k free :p

In reply to what Rowsus wrote in the Ablett example: I think the idea is to use the extra cash against one of your stepping stones. Dangerfield, for example, had fallen to 545k pretty early on in last year. By that stage, you could have upgrded Moloney with a portion of your kitty.

AFL Club
Melbourne
Rowsus, I noticed in a different thread that you have performed an analysis of the past 3 or 4 SC winners, including review of trades etc.. I was wondering whether as part of that analysis if you have the weekly scores or weekly cumulative scores for each of the winners? The reason for asking is that I would like to benchmark my projected team (and then the actual results throughout the season) against the previous winners.
I realise that each season is different, however I think it would be interesting to see the jump in scores as each team gets gradually upgraded and then completed as well as observe any similarities or differences in the shape of the curve for each winner.
Thanks

Fluffywhitebirds

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well worded, and not confusing, and a very good question!
The simple answer is, no we have no way of calculating this. You'd need to have access to the scores at the final siren, then you could compare them to the final scores for the game, after VS/CD have done their "tweaking".
Just using some quick mental arithmatic to try and approximate it, you'd need to ignore the "Bartel 40 points for a late goal" factor, as you'd have no way of knowing who to give that to. So we are looking at how it affects the players in general, rather than specific high scoring adjustments. I can only guestimate what this may be worth, but from following SC for many years, I am confident it less than 10%, I'd hazard a guess at around 7-8% for the more "affected" players, down to 2-3% for the less affected players. For the sake of the exercise, let's say it is 10%, just to see the effect.
Let's assume you have a player averaging around 100/game, and he played 20 games for the season.
Obviously he has scored 2000 points for the season. We are assuming he lost 10% in 3 close games for being in losing teams, so we need to add 33 to his total. We are also assuming he will gain 10% in 3 close games for winning them next year, so we need to add another 30 to his total. Now his total is 2063 in 20 games, for an average of 103.2. It's really not much of a gain, and we were using a high percentage. I'm not sure I'd try and factor it into your selection thoughts.
Great question, Fluffy, have 140 rep points! :)
Thanks Rowsus - not sure exactly how the rep stuff works but thanks I guess! Re your comment - I think it is right to view it as a minor (+/- 3-4% point swing). Where it might become more relevant is if you are deciding between two lineball players. For example, Nroo and Petrie. You might view St Kilda as losing 3 more games this year, and North winning 3 more, in which case the "swing" between their 2013 performance might be 7-8%....getting into the relevant territory.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Rowsus I was wondering if you might be able to briefly turn your mind to young Aaron Black?

Am warming to him as a mid-price forward option in the injured Motlop price range. This puff piece from North Melbourne may be blurring my vision sightly [http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-01-25/black-is-back-nmfc]

Would love to hear your thoughts on whether you think more game time and a full season will lead to a significant points return.

Thanks again.
I think I'd tread carefully with Black. The key to his success as a SC player appears to be Robbie Tarrant.
Last year Black played 8 games without Tarrant in the team. He averaged 94% TOG and 87 SC points in those games.
Black played 10 games with Tarrant in the team. He averaged 88% TOG and 68 SC points in those games.
His TOG is very high, so he has no improvement in him there. His only hope of being SC relevant is if Tarrant is not playing, or Petrie starts spending more time in the Ruck to ease Goldsteins burden. Even with North expected to win more games in 2014, I'm not sure I could back Black in, to get his average over 90/game.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Rowsus, I noticed in a different thread that you have performed an analysis of the past 3 or 4 SC winners, including review of trades etc.. I was wondering whether as part of that analysis if you have the weekly scores or weekly cumulative scores for each of the winners? The reason for asking is that I would like to benchmark my projected team (and then the actual results throughout the season) against the previous winners.
I realise that each season is different, however I think it would be interesting to see the jump in scores as each team gets gradually upgraded and then completed as well as observe any similarities or differences in the shape of the curve for each winner.
Thanks
Here's what I can give you, RB.

2013 The Dimmawits

2012 Powertothepeople

2011 Impromptu SC

I hope that helps. :)

AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Siwel,
IDIG started a thread, where he did a mass of work to identify players being affected by subbed scores.
you can find it here: 2013 Multiple Subbed Players A bargain hunter's paradise
You should check it out, as it's a really useful piece of work.

I'll save you some work on Caddy.

I've seen his name mentioned a few times, but I must admit, I don't see what the attraction is.
He averaged around 71% TOG last season, including the subbed games. I'm just not sure his returns last season warrant the interest shown in him this season. I know he's in the right age group, and a 4th season player, but I would have liked to see more, before I took him at his awkward price.
Regarding Caddy, I think its important to have expectations in check.

Adding to Rowsus's numbers...if you take out an outlier score of 20 in round 5 (not sure what happened in that game) his unsubbed average increases to 73. With some greater minutes in the midfield this year, I think we should see some increase in his numbers, but I don't expect a spike. From memory he wasn't a ball magnet as a junior and is therefore unlikely to be consistently pumping our 20+ disposals per match (last year he averaged 14.9).

Looking at the crystal ball, I would expect him to average between 80-85. When you are paying for a 60 average, I think its an acceptable result. Could possibly be used as a stepping stone, or F7/M9 swing during the season.

His selection will all depend of team structure I think.

Nk29

Captain
AFL Club
Geelong

Adding to Rowsus's numbers...if you take out an outlier score of 20 in round 5 (not sure what happened in that game) his unsubbed average increases to 73. With some greater minutes in the midfield this year, I think we should see some increase in his numbers, but I don't expect a spike. From memory he wasn't a ball magnet as a junior and is therefore unlikely to be consistently pumping our 20+ disposals per match (last year he averaged 14.9).

Looking at the crystal ball, I would expect him to average between 80-85. When you are paying for a 60 average, I think its an acceptable result. Could possibly be used as a stepping stone, or F7/M9 swing during the season.

Good analysis. I expect Caddy to be a 25 disposal, goal kicking mid in a few years, but probably won't get that far this year. With regards to being a ball magnet as a junior, just keep in mind that they also play shorter games, so disposal counts are often less in juniors than when players reach their peak in the AFL.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good analysis. I expect Caddy to be a 25 disposal, goal kicking mid in a few years, but probably won't get that far this year. With regards to being a ball magnet as a junior, just keep in mind that they also play shorter games, so disposal counts are often less in juniors than when players reach their peak in the AFL.
Only ever scored 1 ton in his career, an exact 100 points. Don't see the hype myself.

I think NK is right will be a decent player but not SC relevant at this point in his career IMO.

TeeJay

Rising Star Nominee
Hey Rowsus, not sure if this has been asked. Is there one important thing for SC this year that you have to get right in your opinion? Players, strategy, etc?

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey Rowsus, not sure if this has been asked. Is there one important thing for SC this year that you have to get right in your opinion? Players, strategy, etc?
Hi TeeJay, no it hasn't been asked.
Unfortunately, my answer will be pretty Vanilla. The most important thing to get right this season, and every other season, is your trades. You can start with what in hindsight turns out to be a few glaring errors in your team, and fix them along the way. If you get too many errors in your trades though, you are cooked. The next most important thing to get right is your Captain selection, though unless you are going totally leftfield in your selections, this is partly luck, and if you get it wrong, chances are there will be a lot of Coaches in the same boat.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Interesting to see that the last 3 winners of SC have all lead for at least the last 4 rounds, with Jay leading for the last 10 rounds... Amazing really.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Cheers Rowsus, any player you've locked in yet? Or is that a trade secret :D
I've got quite a few locked in, pending any pre-season problems between now, and round 1.
I'll give you my solid gold locks, that I can't see myself starting without them if they stay fit:
Def: Hurn, Fuller
Mid: Ablett, Pendlebury, Murphy, Beams, Michie, Dunstan
Ruc: Lobbe
Fwd: Dangerfield, Franklin, Chapman, Pavlich, Kersten, Taylor
10 Prem/Bargains, 5 Rookies. Half my team solid gold locks (Health, fitness and round 1 selection pending).

TeeJay

Rising Star Nominee
Aren't you worried about Chappy getting on a bit? Hurn's an interesting one as well. ANy reasoning behind them or gut feel?

Philzsay

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
Aren't you worried about Chappy getting on a bit? Hurn's an interesting one as well. ANy reasoning behind them or gut feel?
Krk004 also asked about Chappy in the now closed forward thread so thought I would answer here.

So far all reports (including most importantly from fans who go to training as opposed to the fluff pieces) have been positive. Noone has mentioned an injury yet.

As a side note his girlfriend had a baby son today! So now the Bombers just have to squeeze 100 games out of Chappy :)

Nk29

Captain
AFL Club
Geelong
Krk004 also asked about Chappy in the now closed forward thread so thought I would answer here.

So far all reports (including most importantly from fans who go to training as opposed to the fluff pieces) have been positive. Noone has mentioned an injury yet.

As a side note his girlfriend had a baby son today! So now the Bombers just have to squeeze 100 games out of Chappy :)
No way when he can join all these guys :p:

Geelong’s budding father/sons include four current Premiership players in Harry Taylor (son James, 3) Steve Johnson (Archie, 1) Corey Enright (Boh, 10 months) and Mackie (Freddie, six months).

Then there are the retired Premiership players in Tom Harley (Jimmy, eight months) Steven King (Oscar, 4) Cameron Ling (Max, nine months) Darren Milburn (Jett, 7) Cameron Mooney (Jagger, 6) Matthew Scarlett (twins Harry and Oliver, 2) and David Wojcinski (Alfie, 6, Monty, 3).

AFL Club
Brisbane

I agree, I would only look at using Caddy as a stepping stone to F4/F5 and be looking to upgrade about round 6 onwards once he makes 100k hopefully.

I highlighted him as a mid price midfielder who is eligible as a fwd, I dont think there are many others with the potential upside he has (more mid time, no green vest, another preseason under his belt)

AFL Club
Brisbane
I've got quite a few locked in, pending any pre-season problems between now, and round 1.
I'll give you my solid gold locks, that I can't see myself starting without them if they stay fit:
Def: Hurn, Fuller
Mid: Ablett, Pendlebury, Murphy, Beams, Michie, Dunstan
Ruc: Lobbe
Fwd: Dangerfield, Franklin, Chapman, Pavlich, Kersten, Taylor
10 Prem/Bargains, 5 Rookies. Half my team solid gold locks (Health, fitness and round 1 selection pending).

Some interesting picks there - Hurn who i dont mind if fit and rebounding off HB, Lobbe, Pav and Chapman. Interested to hear your thoughts re those players.

For me Chapman to risky, inj/resting/maybe even sub. Havent seen much of Lobbe play so cant comment there

Status
Not open for further replies.