Opinion Questions For Rowsus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey Rowsus,

Was just wondering which M/F donuts have the best looping draw (plays late)? Strong preference is given to looping port players, although it may be a bit difficult with port playing late. Regardless, what are my best options? Just having a quick glance brett daniels from gws seems alright
Hey Prochard,
Fremantle have 6 games after Port play, and Melbourne and GWS have 5.

That makes Brett Daniels (GWS $117,300) and Dion Johnstone (Melb $123,900) pretty much the best options for loopholing Port players.
The cheapest Fremantle M/F is Crowden at $206,300.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey Prochard,
Fremantle have 6 games after Port play, and Melbourne and GWS have 5.

That makes Brett Daniels (GWS $117,300) and Dion Johnstone (Melb $123,900) pretty much the best options for loopholing Port players.
The cheapest Fremantle M/F is Crowden at $206,300.
yeah cheers, im probably going to bring 2 of them in so it will definately be daniels+ possibly johnsone

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
yeah cheers, im probably going to bring 2 of them in so it will definately be daniels+ possibly johnsone
Two would seem like a brave call in your position Pro, hopefully you have very solid cover or plenty of trades? Still a fair way to go yet.

AFL Club
West Coast
Hey Rowsus, is there a reason not to grab Cripps this week as my final Mid upgrade? I was looking to bring him in when he dropped, but that didn't happen.

First glance says yes, and he's affordable, but am I chasing points after such a great score?

AFL Club
Brisbane
Hi Row, hope you’re having a nice weekend!

I’ve just snuck in the top 1000, have 7 trades left and 2 weak links in Billings and Rocky. Rocky was really designed as a luxury trade to get me through the byes, which he has done admirably.

Now it’s business time. Should i bring in a floating m9/d7, prob wingard, to cover those weak links, or do I sacrifice Rocky for a premo? I have no money, so no way to move him to M9. Want to save 5 trades for injuries and finals so this is the last unforced move.

I welcome your wisdom!
Thanks mate.

EDIT - or do i save 7 trades for safety, or do i do 1 downgrade and have some $ and 6 trades left?

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi Row again,

I'm currently considering Jake Lloyd as a top defender but he's owned by the majority of coaches in the top 10, he's pricey but currently affordable. Not sure how Mcveigh in/out affects him. No clear pattern in who he plays against either. What do you think?

Do I have enough PODs to climb? Is it time to back my PODs and close possible negative PODs in not having lloyd?

Last edited:
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi mate, hope you've been well and enjoying the World Cup!

Traded in Boak after his bye because he filled a need at the time, wasn't stoked with the pick so really annoyed how it's turned out so far.

As I cant see it getting better, thoughts on De Goey as a trade in that pushes Boak to the bench?

With Treloar potentially out for a while, think he could turn out to be a good pick. On the other hand, he might not be too much better than Boak.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey Rowsus, is there a reason not to grab Cripps this week as my final Mid upgrade? I was looking to bring him in when he dropped, but that didn't happen.

First glance says yes, and he's affordable, but am I chasing points after such a great score?
Hey Eagling,
I can't think of a reason not to grab him. He's still priced in that 109-110 area, and given Carlton's Draw, there's no reason he can't achieve that, or better.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi Row, hope you’re having a nice weekend!

I’ve just snuck in the top 1000, have 7 trades left and 2 weak links in Billings and Rocky. Rocky was really designed as a luxury trade to get me through the byes, which he has done admirably.

Now it’s business time. Should i bring in a floating m9/d7, prob wingard, to cover those weak links, or do I sacrifice Rocky for a premo? I have no money, so no way to move him to M9. Want to save 5 trades for injuries and finals so this is the last unforced move.

I welcome your wisdom!
Thanks mate.

EDIT - or do i save 7 trades for safety, or do i do 1 downgrade and have some $ and 6 trades left?
Hi d1ck,
I had an ok weekend, I hope yours was brilliant.
Well done on getting into the top 1,000, which is certainly not new territory for you!
Hopefully Redman is fit and selected, which gives you an easy Cole to Redman option.
You've ridden Billings this far, so I think you need to stick with him now. If you traded him now, and he produced anything 90+ you'd be pretty disappointed!
As I see it, you have 3 potential M8's and no cash (Pendles, Crouch, Rocky). Ideally you'd like to bring in a solid M6, and loophole those 3 where possible, but that's not a short term option for you, unfortunately. I think you only compound the problem(s) by bringing in a Wingard type, as it doesn't solve your 3 x M8's problem, but swallows a trade. I think your best option this week is to do the one downgrade, and get another weeks information, and growth out of your Cows.
Good luck with your climb up the rankings! :)

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi Row again,

I'm currently considering Jake Lloyd as a top defender but he's owned by the majority of coaches in the top 10, he's pricey but currently affordable. Not sure how Mcveigh in/out affects him. No clear pattern in who he plays against either. What do you think?

Do I have enough PODs to climb? Is it time to back my PODs and close possible negative PODs in not having lloyd?
Hi Pro again,
let's look at this in 2 parts. Firstly the common players, then the PODs.
Just looking at the top 10, here are the common players:

You are the only one without Lloyd and McLean (as you already knew).
The Treloar injury is a double edged sword for you. You get the bonus of being one of only 3 in the top 10 without him, which will likely cost the the other 7 a trade. On the flipside, most of those Treloar owners will likely go to Kelly, as 5 of the 7 Treloar owners don't have him, and he looks like the easiest and best replacement. That closes down one of your decent PODs/half PODs.

Let's look at the PODs

You've got a great half POD in Grundy, but as mentioned, Kelly is likely to become largely irrelevant after this week. Coniglio and Rockliff are also half PODs. My own opinion of Coniglio is, that he'll be lucky to be a good M8 for those at the pointy end, and there could be more advantage in not having him, than having him.

So the crux of your question was "do you have enough POD's to climb?". The simple answer is yes, but there is a HUGE but attached. 352 behind, with 5 PODs and 2 half PODs is very do-able.
....... and here come the BUT. Bont, Selwood and Menegola seem like nice PODs to have, and have history to suggest they can do the job you want/need. Rocky also has the history, and could nearly do half the job you need by himself, if he got one of his tears ..... IF. He is also one of the potential problems. You need to pin your hopes probably at least 5 players, which you have, but do you really see Savage (in particular) and Wingard pulling their share of the load, as well as having the Rocky question mark.
I think you have to decide on who you are betting on, and who you are betting against. Hence the Lloyd part of your question. There's no doubt you are going to need a few things to go right, if you are going to get there. In the short term, it would seem prudent to bet against at least one of Lloyd or McLean, as you not having them represents a POD. While Lloyd is $100k more than McLean, I think on form, you are better risking against McLean than Lloyd. I'm assuming your path to Lloyd is via Savage, and I think you kill 2 birds with one stone, with that move. After that, I think I would be betting against McLean, McDonald and Oliver, and hope that your POD's against these 3 hold up. Unless you have a strong belief in Wingard, i'm not sure he will fill one of those 3 spots successfully for you.

Bottom line, close the Lloyd POD against you, as it fixes Savage. Yes you have enough POD's to get the job done, but I'm not 100% sure you have the quality you need in all of those PODs.

Good luck, you've done great so far, particularly the last 4 or 5 weeks.
Keep it going! :)

Last edited:

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi mate, hope you've been well and enjoying the World Cup!

Traded in Boak after his bye because he filled a need at the time, wasn't stoked with the pick so really annoyed how it's turned out so far.

As I cant see it getting better, thoughts on De Goey as a trade in that pushes Boak to the bench?

With Treloar potentially out for a while, think he could turn out to be a good pick. On the other hand, he might not be too much better than Boak.
Hi ZP,
I too rode the Boak train through the byes, but traded him out last week. The quality of his disposal has just been attrocious!
I think there is every chance De Goey will flourish with Treloar gone. Collingwood have a few that will be putting their hand up, for an extra run through the Mids, with Treloar gone, but I think De Goey will be right up at the front of the queue. He's no guarentee to go 90+ from here, but he's probably a better bet than Boak!

AFL Club
Collingwood
Rowsus,

I hope you are well.

Q/. I thought I had a complete team and then the Treloar injury happened the week I trade him in.

Up to 186th and have a completed team of:

D: J Lloyd, J Sicily, E Yeo, R Laird, K Simpson, L Ryan B: B Mihocek, J Smith
M: N Fyfe, T Mitchell, C Oliver, P Dangerfield, P Cripps, A Treloar, S Coniglio, D Martin B: N Holman, P Ahern, S Giro
R: B Grundy, M Gawn B: O McInerney
F: I Heeney, J Westhoff, D Smith, T McLean, B Fritsch, T Boak B: C Dixon, T Smith

Possitives:
Best ranking ever;
Good bench cover of Homan, Dixon and then all others generally playing;
Ruck cover in case Gawn/Grundy get a rest;
7 trades left (I have seen others with 3-5).

Negatives:
Forward F5, F6 & F7 of Fritsch, Boak and Dixon a bit week;
Would like a stronger M9 than Holman (Rockliff);
Basically $0 left.

With 7 trades left I believe I have 2 options this week:
- Maintain trades = Treloar to Sidey / Gaff
- Use 2 trades = Fix F5 and Treloar?

Given I have no bank left do you have any recommendations on how I can sort out my F5 and not bring in a sub-par Treloar replacement?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

CC

AFL Club
Fremantle
Rowsus,

I hope you are well.

Q/. I thought I had a complete team and then the Treloar injury happened the week I trade him in.

M: N Fyfe, T Mitchell, C Oliver, P Dangerfield, P Cripps, A Treloar, S Coniglio, D Martin B: N Holman, P Ahern, S Giro
F: I Heeney, J Westhoff, D Smith, T McLean, B Fritsch, T Boak B: C Dixon, T Smith

Possitives:
Best ranking ever;

Negatives:
Basically $0 left.

Given I have no bank left do you have any recommendations on how I can sort out my F5 and not bring in a sub-par Treloar replacement?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

CC
Well done. Having Grundy and Gawn and 7 trades is massive. I haven't seen many teams with a great forward line any way.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi Pro again,
let's look at this in 2 parts. Firstly the common players, then the PODs.
Just looking at the top 10, here are the common players:

You are the only one without Lloyd and McLean (as you already knew).
The Treloar injury is a double edged sword for you. You get the bonus of being one of only 3 in the top 10 without him, which will likely cost the the other 7 a trade. On the flipside, most of those Treloar owners will likely go to Kelly, as 5 of the 7 Treloar owners don't have him, and he looks like the easiest and best replacement. That closes down one of your decent PODs/half PODs.

Let's look at the PODs

You've got a great half POD in Grundy, but as mentioned, Kelly is likely to become largely irrelevant after this week. Coniglio and Rockliff are also half PODs. My own opinion of Coniglio is, that he'll be lucky to be a good M8 for those at the pointy end, and there could be more advantage in not having him, than having him.

So the crux of your question was "do you have enough POD's to climb?". The simple answer is yes, but there is a HUGE but attached. 352 behind, with 5 PODs and 2 half PODs is very do-able.
....... and here come the BUT. Bont, Selwood and Menegola seem like nice PODs to have, and have history to suggest they can do the job you want/need. Rocky also has the history, and could nearly do half the job you need by himself, if he got one of his tears ..... IF. He is also one of the potential problems. You need to pin your hopes probably at least 5 players, which you have, but do you really see Savage (in particular) and Wingard pulling their share of the load, as well as having the Rocky question mark.
I think you have to decide on who you are betting on, and who you are betting against. Hence the Lloyd part of your question. There's no doubt you are going to need a few things to go right, if you are going to get there. In the short term, it would seem prudent to bet against at least one of Lloyd or McLean, as you not having them represents a POD. While Lloyd is $100k more than McLean, I think on form, you are better risking against McLean than Lloyd. I'm assuming your path to Lloyd is via Savage, and I think you kill 2 birds with one stone, with that move. After that, I think I would be betting against McLean, McDonald and Oliver, and hope that your POD's against these 3 hold up. Unless you have a strong belief in Wingard, i'm not sure he will fill one of those 3 spots successfully for you.

Bottom line, close the Lloyd POD against you, as it fixes Savage. Yes you have enough POD's to get the job done, but I'm not 100% sure you have the quality you need in all of those PODs.

Good luck, you've done great so far, particularly the last 4 or 5 weeks.
Keep it going! :)
Thanks so much for this! really appreciate it.

It's kind of annoying that I've actually 80% made my mind about not going Lloyd for a number of reasons.

From my point of view, there are a couple of factors that influence how a half-back/extra defender down back scores.

(1) Strength of opposition midfield
(2) Quality of opposition small defenders and the pressure they apply
(3) Contested marking ability of opposition key defenders

Looking at his previous tons, Fremantle, Lions, St Kilda, West Coast (No JJK, Darling) all somewhat resemble the above factors, with Hawthorn being the only outlier.

Looking ahead Richmond, Geelong, North all have exceptionally strong key forwards with capable pressure forwards and are just naturally tough oppositions. The earliest I'd be prepared to trade Lloyd in would be round 18 against the Suns is probably too deep into the season.

At this stage, I'm simply not prepared to pay 550k to close a POD who is likely to take another month or so to start scoring well. So currently I'm ready to bet against Lloyd, although VERY unwillingly as he's definitely still highly likely to keep scoring well.

Regardless, like you said, Savage/Rockliff/Wingard are very shaky. Wingard I'm actually quite bullish on, Rockliff is actually my M9, so not too concerned about that either. But as you mentioned, Savage poses a huge problem. I was extremely close to trading him out last week for Hurley(35%)/Andrews(25%)/Crisp (40%) but decided not to in the end as I had 19 players. At this stage with another 110+ score under Crisp's belt, part of me wish I had taken the extra 70 ish points last week and no having to worry about Savage.

Another question I have is how many trades I should prepare for injuries. I think the answer to this would depend on how far into the season we're. I will have 1 trade spare in a few rounds after trading in donuts/finishing up with trading in premiums. However, I would have 150k ish and Austin along with 1 trade. If this is round 19/20 we're talking about, and assuming I'm still somewhat in contention, do you think I should keep the last trade for the final few rounds just in case I have a donut, or just go all in to allow for a 7-9-2-7 full premium loopholing set?

Sorry for the long reply, thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Seedsman

Rising Star Nominee
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Rowsus,

I had planned to trade Cole to Franklin (via Sicily), however Treloar has put a spanner in the works. Would you prefer to go ahead with this trade and have Ahern as cover for Treloar this week, or trade Treloar to Cripps/Neale but have Cole on-field for another week? I'm torn on which way to go.

AFL Club
West Coast
Hi Rowsus,

I had planned to trade Cole to Franklin (via Sicily), however Treloar has put a spanner in the works. Would you prefer to go ahead with this trade and have Ahern as cover for Treloar this week, or trade Treloar to Cripps/Neale but have Cole on-field for another week? I'm torn on which way to go.
Is Franklin fully training yet? Not sure if he is a must have, lucky against the eagles to get to 90.

Cripps has lowest breakeven and high ceiling, looks a must have. Neale 2nd preferred and playing brisbane.

Just my opinion until Rowsus online.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Rowsus,

I hope you are well.

Possitives:
Best ranking ever;

Negatives:
Basically $0 left.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

CC
I would be looking to combo trade Fritsch and Treloar for an upgraded F6 and a replacement for the injured Treloar. You said you had basically $0, so the way it looks is 425k + 540k = 965k for both.

Mids: Neale at 547k might be better than Kelly who is 30k dearer. Otherwise Sidebottom/Pendles might benefit from Treloar being out.
Selwood at 520k is value as well.
Forwards: DeGoey at 448k is one who people are talking up (I grabbed him last week) or Walters @463k
If you wanted more of a risk: Ben Brown or Mundy @ roughly 440k, Wingard at 426k or even a sneaky JRoo at 324k?

Selwood + DeGoey would be my preference.
Neale + Wingard might work if you had 8k spare.

Risking Riewoldt to loop with Dixon could be an effective strategy as well. He's very cheap! It would leave a bit of cash spare to utilise if you got another injury as well.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I would be looking to combo trade Fritsch and Treloar for an upgraded F6 and a replacement for the injured Treloar. You said you had basically $0, so the way it looks is 425k + 540k = 965k for both.

Mids: Neale at 547k might be better than Kelly who is 30k dearer. Otherwise Sidebottom/Pendles might benefit from Treloar being out.
Forwards: DeGoey at 448k is one who people are talking up (I grabbed him last week) or Walters @463k
If you wanted more of a risk: Ben Brown or Mundy @ roughly 440k, Wingard at 426k or even a sneaky JRoo at 324k?

Risking Riewoldt to loop with Dixon could be an effective strategy as well. He's very cheap! It would leave a bit of cash spare to utilise if you got another injury as well.
Thank you very much MC.

The trouble I'm having is that I'm not really sold on any of the forwards I can afford without downgrading the Treloar replacement too much.

The best combo I could come up was:
- Sicily Forward
- Fritsch to Hurley
- Treloar to Gaff / Parker / Z Merrett / Pendlebury / Zorko / Etc. ($100 short of J Selwood)

For clarity I have exactly $971,000 to spend on the two players if I trade out Treloar and Fritsch.

Regards,

CC

AFL Club
West Coast
Thank you very much MC.

The trouble I'm having is that I'm not really sold on any of the forwards I can afford without downgrading the Treloar replacement too much.

The best combo I could come up was:
- Sicily Forward
- Fritsch to Hurley
- Treloar to Gaff / Parker / Z Merrett / Pendlebury / Zorko / Etc. ($100 short of J Selwood)

For clarity I have exactly $971,000 to spend on the two players if I trade out Treloar and Fritsch.

Regards,

CC
Apologies to Rowsus as this is the second post in his space, although, appreciate he welcomes many opinions which is an amazing quality.

I share your feeling towards forwards, wingard, de goey, brayshaw type players not proven yet. Have Guelfi to upgrade and can only afford those types.

Firstly, midfield is the engine room and would go best player in that group, unless an alternative gives you a quality proven premium up forward. Unfortunately I would be Kelly 1st and Neale 2nd and Neale does not solve your forward selection.

Second, Fritsch is playing well and has three easier games to come, does he need to be traded so quickly.

Thirdly, I have Hurley and Savage and would rather Simpson or maybe Lloyd. However, Webster I think sits above those value fwds you are looking at and recent form suggests better than Hurley/Savage for me and not too dissimilar to Simpson/LLoyd. I will be solving my issue with Webster if he puts a good score in.

Kelly is my preferred this week and with another downgrade in next week, Fritsch to Webster. Otherwise Neale this week and once Webster bottoms then Fritsch to Webster which potn could work given cash consideration.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Rowsus,

I hope you are well.

Possitives:
Best ranking ever;

Negatives:
Basically $0 left.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

CC
Well done. Having Grundy and Gawn and 7 trades is massive. I haven't seen many teams with a great forward line any way.

Apologies to Rowsus as this is the second post in his space, although, appreciate he welcomes many opinions which is an amazing quality.

I share your feeling towards forwards, wingard, de goey, brayshaw type players not proven yet. Have Guelfi to upgrade and can only afford those types.

Firstly, midfield is the engine room and would go best player in that group, unless an alternative gives you a quality proven premium up forward. Unfortunately I would be Kelly 1st and Neale 2nd and Neale does not solve your forward selection.

Second, Fritsch is playing well and has three easier games to come, does he need to be traded so quickly.

Thirdly, I have Hurley and Savage and would rather Simpson or maybe Lloyd. However, Webster I think sits above those value fwds you are looking at and recent form suggests better than Hurley/Savage for me and not too dissimilar to Simpson/LLoyd. I will be solving my issue with Webster if he puts a good score in.

Kelly is my preferred this week and with another downgrade in next week, Fritsch to Webster. Otherwise Neale this week and once Webster bottoms then Fritsch to Webster which potn could work given cash consideration.
CC,
sometimes we can get too cute, when faced with a problem, and we end up creating a bigger problem.
The way I look at it is, Treloar was filling a solid M5/6 in most teams. Most teams, particularly those outside the top 1,000, usually end up with 2 or 3 M8's. You really want to avoid getting cute with your Treloar replacement, and ending up with another M8. Right now you have Coniglio, who in my opinion will concede points to anyone lucky enough to have a 105 M8, and you have Dusty, and we just don't know where he is at. If you get cute, and try and get a value replacement, to open some cash for fixing your F5, you might end up with another 100/game player, and an F5 that's not much better than Fritsch anyway. The very definition of 2 wasted trades.
Your M5/6 is usually one of your top 10 guys. I wouldn't taking risks with that position, I'd be going as safe as you can. Potentially a poor decision chasing value might cost you a 115 M5, and maybe get you a 5 or 10 point improvement in your F5. Potentially a loss on the deal!
Keep it simple, get the best you can for Treloar. You are really hamstrung by having no M/F connection, which gives you no flexibilty to make for an easy downgrade his week. You definitely need to get a hold of some cash!
I put it to you, if you have League success in your heart, make the one trade this week. If you want to see how high you climb, you need to make a sacrifice, and grab some cash this week! That would involve "boning" one of your M4/5/6/7 down to Battle, freeing up some cash to do some upgrades this week and next week.
If you go the one trade option, it is likely given your lack of dollars, that you toss up Gaff and Selwood. Just to throw one in there, don't totally discount JPK.

Good luck, I hope you jump the right way! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.