Discussion Re-Signings, Retirements, Delistings, Trade & Drafting

AFL Club
Carlton
LIAM Shiels looks bound for North Melbourne three months after the three-time Hawthorn premiership player departed the Hawks.

Shiels was linked to a possible move to Arden Street to join forces with former Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson before he announced his retirement at the end of August.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

However, the Kangaroos have remained interested in Shiels and he is set to join them as a rookie signing via the pre-season supplemental selection period.

Shiels was not among the more than 900 players to nominate for this month's NAB AFL Draft, with nominations closing on Monday afternoon, meaning he can join the club as a pre-season selection signing.

Alastair Clarkson celebrates with Liam Shiels and Tom Mitchell after Hawthorn's win over Collingwood in round one, 2018. Picture: AFL Photos
It is a similar manoeuvre to how Sydney signed Paddy McCartin as a pre-season supplemental selection period recruit last year after McCartin had not lodged a nomination to be in the open draft.

Shiels, 31, played 255 games for the Hawks but managed just 13 appearances at AFL level this season as the club's focus on youth took hold.

CAL TWOMEY'S PHANTOM FORM GUIDE Top draft prospects' November ranking

He has remained in strong condition and is expected to impart valuable leadership at the Roos with his training standards and work ethic as well as on the field.

Shiels played in the Hawks' 2013, 2014 and 2015 premierships having made his debut in 2009 under Clarkson.

Clubs are able to sign players as pre-season supplemental period selections and have them train from December 5, with Brisbane having added former Bomber Conor McKenna to its list last week under the rules.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Didn't they also forego a proper hiring process when they appointed Malcolm Blight? That worked out well.
Yep and didn't do it for Grant Thomas either! And now Ross makes 3!
Good things come in threes... don't they? :p

Really different feel to this than last time where he came to a club that already had a developed list. Will be interesting to see how it goes this time, part of me hopes it's a failure to vindicate Ratten and him getting the best he could out of the list he had.
Not known for developing players in his Saints days thats for sure!
Though Andrew Brayshaw says he owes Lyon a lot for his success so maybe, just maybe!
https://www.afl.com.au/news/859103/...yshaw-backs-ross-lyon-for-st-kilda-saints-gig
I'll come along for the ride again! No choice anyways :p

AFL Club
Carlton
BRISBANE has signed rangy forward Eric Hipwood to a monster new contract, extending his deal until the end of 2029.

Hipwood, 25, who still had one year to run on his previous contract, put pen to paper for an additional six years following a strong finals series for the Lions in 2022.

The 25-year-old kicked nine goals in three finals games to cap a strong comeback season after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in 2021.

00:37MINS
Lions land opening blow after bringing the heat early
Eric Hipwood snaps the first goal of the game thanks to some fierce Lions pressure
Published on Jun 23, 2022, 8:31pm
Hipwood, who has already spent seven seasons at the club that took him with pick No.14 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft, said recommitting was an easy decision.

"I jumped at the opportunity to re-sign," Hipwood said.

"I have been here since the dark times, so to be able to experience some good times and hopefully some better times coming, it was a pretty easy decision.

"When you listen to some of my idols, in Nick Riewoldt and Jonathon Brown, and what they have spoken about post their careers and how proud they are to be a one-club player, that is something I have always aspired to be, if I had the opportunity."

Hipwood has kicked 188 goals in his 127 games in Brisbane colours and will start 2023 alongside Joe Daniher and Jack Gunston as the club's three tall targets.

INS AND OUTS Every club's full list changes ahead of 2023

General manager of football Danny Daly said Hipwood's signature was a significant moment for the club.

Eric Hipwood (right) celebrates a goal with Zac Bailey in Brisbane's semi-final match against Melbourne at the MCG on September 9, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos
"Eric deserves this contract extension because he has been instrumental in helping the club get to where it is today,” Daly said.

"The way Eric performed during the finals … is really exciting for the club moving forward and no doubt it has our members and fans excited."

Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood in Brisbane's round 22 match against St Kilda in 2022. Picture: AFL Photos
Hipwood's monster deal is the latest in a string of similar long-term contracts offered to guns nearing their free agency window.

BIG DEALS Why pre-agents have more power than ever

Gun pre-agents, including Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay, Callum Mills, Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca have all opted to sign long-term deals before they reach their out-of-contract year.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
BRISBANE has signed rangy forward Eric Hipwood to a monster new contract, extending his deal until the end of 2029.

Hipwood, 25, who still had one year to run on his previous contract, put pen to paper for an additional six years following a strong finals series for the Lions in 2022.

The 25-year-old kicked nine goals in three finals games to cap a strong comeback season after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in 2021.

00:37MINS
Lions land opening blow after bringing the heat early
Eric Hipwood snaps the first goal of the game thanks to some fierce Lions pressure
Published on Jun 23, 2022, 8:31pm
Hipwood, who has already spent seven seasons at the club that took him with pick No.14 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft, said recommitting was an easy decision.

"I jumped at the opportunity to re-sign," Hipwood said.

"I have been here since the dark times, so to be able to experience some good times and hopefully some better times coming, it was a pretty easy decision.

"When you listen to some of my idols, in Nick Riewoldt and Jonathon Brown, and what they have spoken about post their careers and how proud they are to be a one-club player, that is something I have always aspired to be, if I had the opportunity."

Hipwood has kicked 188 goals in his 127 games in Brisbane colours and will start 2023 alongside Joe Daniher and Jack Gunston as the club's three tall targets.

INS AND OUTS Every club's full list changes ahead of 2023

General manager of football Danny Daly said Hipwood's signature was a significant moment for the club.

Eric Hipwood (right) celebrates a goal with Zac Bailey in Brisbane's semi-final match against Melbourne at the MCG on September 9, 2022. Picture: AFL Photos
"Eric deserves this contract extension because he has been instrumental in helping the club get to where it is today,” Daly said.

"The way Eric performed during the finals … is really exciting for the club moving forward and no doubt it has our members and fans excited."

Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood in Brisbane's round 22 match against St Kilda in 2022. Picture: AFL Photos
Hipwood's monster deal is the latest in a string of similar long-term contracts offered to guns nearing their free agency window.

BIG DEALS Why pre-agents have more power than ever

Gun pre-agents, including Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay, Callum Mills, Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca have all opted to sign long-term deals before they reach their out-of-contract year.
I’ll bet he jumped at it! I would have thought he’s at least a tier below all those other pre-agents.

Hope he goes well.