Discussion Rookie Discussion

Lost In The Sky

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like Jetta is on track to play. If Rotham still gets named with Jetta returning, do you think it’s a positive enough sign to take a punt on him?

No, Because that would mean one of Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Cole, Duggan or Sheppard would have to be dropped. We run with 6 defenders and a spare on the bench, can't see us dropping a mid to bring an 8th defender into the team.

Duggan was brought straight back in for Rotham after 1 week so that shows Duggan is rated, Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Shep are going nowhere... so that only leaved Cole. And he is highly rated internally as a mid sized defenfer, Premiership player, and can play on all sizes. Can't see him suddenly being dropped whilst he's in good form for a 2 game player no matter how good Rotham has looked.

OzRulesFootball

Director of Coaching
AFL Club
Carlton
No, Because that would mean one of Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Cole, Duggan or Sheppard would have to be dropped. We run with 6 defenders and a spare on the bench, can't see us dropping a mid to bring an 8th defender into the team.

Duggan was brought straight back in for Rotham after 1 week so that shows Duggan is rated, Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Shep are going nowhere... so that only leaved Cole. And he is highly rated internally as a mid sized defenfer, Premiership player, and can play on all sizes. Can't see him suddenly being dropped whilst he's in good form for a 2 game player no matter how good Rotham has looked.
I want Rotham but I'd actually rather not need to grab him this week if can avoid it and he stays on bubble for a few weeks. The reality is , if he is 8th in cue for defence spot and 7 in 22 every week he will still get games plenty of times because there likely to be 1 of other 7 out from time to time.

Lost In The Sky

Dual Best & Fairest
AFL Club
West Coast
I want Rotham but I'd actually rather not need to grab him this week if can avoid it and he stays on bubble for a few weeks. The reality is , if he is 8th in cue for defence spot and 7 in 22 every week he will still get games plenty of times because there likely to be 1 of other 7 out from time to time.
Don't forget Grand Final hero and Premiership defender Will Schofield... Simmo said just before Rotham's Debut that Schofield couldn't be considered to replace Duggan, as he was ill that week. So had Schoey not been crook... I doubt Rotham even makes his debut. Francis Watson was also ahead Rotham in the pecking order over the JLT series.

I don't think Rotham is automatically the 8th in line in defense.

OzRulesFootball

Director of Coaching
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't forget Grand Final hero and Premiership defender Will Schofield... Simmo said just before Rotham's Debut that Schofield couldn't be considered to replace Duggan, as he was ill that week. So had Schoey not been crook... I doubt Rotham even makes his debut. Francis Watson was also ahead Rotham in the pecking order over the JLT series.

I don't think Rotham is automatically the 8th in line in defense.
He is back to 9th all of a sudden.. ha ha
That is annoying. You got any good news for me ? ;)

AFL Club
West Coast
Never gave it much thought until I saw the article on the AFL site... But we could be in for a bonus influx of bargain priced rookies after round 10...
You would think any club drafting would be doing so for immediate needs, so they might be useful.

"The evening following round 10 - Monday, May 27 - marks the first Mid-Season Rookie Draft since 1993, with 14 positions currently available across the competition."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04...ho-will-be-the-next-tim-kelly-or-kane-lambert

AFL Club
Essendon
Never gave it much thought until I saw the article on the AFL site... But we could be in for a bonus influx of bargain priced rookies after round 10...
You would think any club drafting would be doing so for immediate needs, so they might be useful.

"The evening following round 10 - Monday, May 27 - marks the first Mid-Season Rookie Draft since 1993, with 14 positions currently available across the competition."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04...ho-will-be-the-next-tim-kelly-or-kane-lambert
Definitely. The supplementary rookies are a god send for SC.

OzRulesFootball

Director of Coaching
AFL Club
Carlton
A full week before multi bye rounds start too. Will be interesting.

Certainly as a Carlton supporter, if we have not found a goal kicking small forward by that time I fully expect to be grabbing the best available in form type in that mid season rookie draft and fair chance he play too,
At present our two best options seem injured. Pickett out until later in season and Kym LeBois barely played more than a few games in a row at VFL level in two years due to injuries. I do not think he played last week either so fair chance mid season we still looking for that elusive goal kicking/pressure forward we lacking big time right now. At present we been trying midfielders there like Gibbons and Polson but they really midfielders pushed to learn the forward craft and certainly not worked so far. Fasolo been no use either after pre-season injury and form in opening two rounds no good. He had back injury last week in VFL so not confident that working out either. Bring on the mid season rookie draft....

AFL Club
North Melb.

Bloody crazy that 10 ACL's on that page that have opened mid-season rookie draft spots :oops:

My knees hurt just reading it...

AFL Club
Collingwood

Great point.

Maybe cash gen is less of an issue than it may currently seem (I think it usually is anyway, but still) ... means we should perhaps be a bit more focused on getting the very best keepers to finish the season?