Discussion Things To Occupy Our Minds In The Break.

KLo30

Leadership Group
AFL Club
North Melb.
Albert Trott, brother of Harry Trott.

8/43 on debut. Only batsmen to hit a ball over the Lord's Pavillion. First (and only one of two) bowlers to have taken two hattricks in the same innings in a first class game, his testimonial. 4 in 4 then later 3 in 3.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Patterson 144.00
* Trott 102.50 (3 Tests)
Bradman 99.94 (which is CA's postcode)

well worth reading about AE Trott on Wikipedia , left out of the 1896 tour to England (his brother helped select the touring party) went to England on the same boat , later played twice for England v South Africa which were awarded Test status after the event.

Technically though his batting average for Australia in Test cricket will always remain higher than the Don.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood

8/43 on debut. Only batsmen to hit a ball over the Lord's Pavillion. First (and only one of two) bowlers to have taken two hattricks in the same innings in a first class game, his testimonial. 4 in 4 then later 3 in 3.
Funny you mention that:

Two hat tricks in a Test
Jimmy Matthews of Australia took two hat-tricks in the same Test against South Africa at Old Trafford in 1912. No other bowler has achieved it since. Matthews picked up both those hat-tricks on the same day in different innings of the match.

AFL Club
North Melb.

Wouldn't 4 in 4 and then later 3 in 3 actually be 3 hattricks?

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Answers

1) Luke, I am your father. - No, I am your father.
2) Nobody puts baby in the corner. - Nobody puts baby in a corner.
3) We're going to need a bigger boat. - You're going to need a bigger boat.
4) Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all? - Magic mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?
5) Hello, Clarice. - Good evening, Clarice.
6) Do you feel lucky, punk? - ..... you've got to ask yourself one question. "Do I feel lucky?". Well, do you, punk?
7) Play it again, Sam. - Play it, Sam. Play As Time Goes By
Said by Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman), in Casablanca
8) I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto. - Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
9) If you build it, they will come. - If you build it, he will come.
10) Mrs Robinson, are you trying to seduce me? - Mrs Robinson, you are trying to seduce me, aren't you?
11) My momma always said, life is like a box of chocolates. - My momma always said, life was like a box of chocolates.
12) Me Tarzan, you Jane. - Jane. Tarzan. Jane. Tarzan. Jane. Tarzan.
13) Greed is good. - .... greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works.
14) Why don't you come up and see me sometime. - Why don't you come up sometime, and see me.
Said by Lady Lou (Mae West), in She Done Him Wrong.
15) Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride. - Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night.
Said by Margot Channing (Bette Davis), in All About Eve.
16) Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse. - Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Said by Nick Romano (John Derek), in Knock On Any Door - To Bogart's character Andrew Morton.

If you need any of the other characters/actors/movies, just ask ;)

@Zagbag noticed most of them were "false" quotes.
@Beg2Differ got the most films right.

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who Am I?

I'm a current AFL player.
It took me 85 games before I played against all the other 17 AFL teams, however before I played that last team, to give me "the full set", I had played against one team 11 times!!!

PM/Message your answer.

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Answers

10) Mrs Robinson, are you trying to seduce me? - Mrs Robinson, you are trying to seduce me, aren't you?

If you need any of the other characters/actors/movies, just ask ;)

@Zagbag noticed most of them were "false" quotes.
@Beg2Differ got the most films right.
Dustin Hoffman (as Ben Braddock) to Anne Bancroft (as Mrs Robinson) in the film “The Graduate”.

Trivia (via IMDB):
Dustin Hoffman was already set to play a role in Mel Brooks "The Producers (1967)" when the opportunity to audition for this movie came up. Deferentially, Hoffman asked Brooks' permission to audition for the part in the other film. Through his wife, Anne Bancroft (already cast), Brooks was familiar with the story of this movie. He allowed Hoffman to audition, blithely confident that Hoffman would be found unsuitable for the role of Mrs. Robinson's lover.

In his commentary for the 40th Anniversary Edition DVD, Dustin Hoffman reports that Bancroft had contracted not to do any topless scenes, and was adamant when it came to the early confrontation between Mrs. Robinson and Benjamin in Elaine's bedroom. So shooting stopped while someone went out to find a stripper on Sunset Strip who was willing to do the shots as a stand-in. But the first stripper who was brought in refused to remove her pasties, so the production had to find a second woman to do the shots.

Although Mrs. Robinson is supposed to be much older than Benjamin, Anne Bancroft and Dustin Hoffman were just under six years apart in age. He looked naturally boyish, and she was made up to look older. Bancroft was only eight years older than her "daughter" Katharine Ross. William Daniels (Mr. Braddock) only ten years older than his "son" Hoffman.

Last edited:

Diabolical

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
What 8 letter word can have a letter removed and without rearranging the letters it makes a 7 letter word, then have another letter taken away to make a 6 letter word, and so on until you have a 1 letter word?

AFL Club
Collingwood
@Connoisseur messaged me the with all the correct answers(y)

Quotes taken from the 'Round 2 Trades' thread.
Match the SC Member to his quote, recently said on SuperCoach Scores Forum.

Who started the 'Round 2 Trades' tread?
Ans: @doc ron

1. “We only get 2 trades right? I need at least 6.”
Ans: @Ironhawk

2. “Mr Magnets strikes again. When will he learn.”
Ans: @Vicwood

3. “Back to selection basics and picking players that want to play.”
Ans: @Junior Wölf

4. “Don't think I've seen the Bont play a worse game before. 7 clangers, my god. Must be a record for him.”
Ans: @Bomber18

5. “First 2~3 rounds I always prioritize rookie corrections unless my premo is injured.”
Ans: @Monya Meow Meow

6. “Rozee is mighty tempting, just love his explosiveness“
Ans: @Brookesy

7. “this thread might sit idle for a few weeks/months”
Ans: @Herbie66

8. “Out anyone, In a RUCKMAN”
Ans: @madmunza

9. “Tempted to try to rope an extra ruck in somewhere but all my premiums and midpricers are holding up ok ”
Ans: @dlanod

10. “I wouldn’t use a trade for the sake of it, but I think the smart play is to use them every round until you’re upgraded/almost out of trades.”
Ans: @Darkie

11. “Awesome. Thanks for this.”
Ans: @Yasi

12. “Lynch was always going to be a roller coaster. Hang on for the ride.”
Ans: @freowho

13. “Sticking fat with Brayshaw, he had minimal game time in a Freo side that only turned up at 3/4tr time,”
Ans: @Spifflicator

14. “Cheers for the feedback. I came to my senses and changed back to 4 mids”
Ans: @TigerTime

15. “The question though is not if to use a trade, it is who to.”
Ans: @GrainFedBeef

16. “Looks like I'll be trading in as many Ruckman as possible ?!”
Ans: @Deeman1

17. “Anyone care to explain why he should be a priority trade target after round 2? Thanks in advance”
Ans: @Misky

18. “At the current rate most of the high priced mids are gonna fall into the 500ks”
Ans: @Kidult

19. “Damn now Roberton is looking like another necessary correction.”
Ans: @Grundogging

20. “No way are all the players going to keep their spots if they spend time on the couch.”
Ans: @Beijing_Sting

AFL Club
Collingwood
EDIT: When guessing the Members answers, please remove the '@' as it may be annoying to some of the members getting Alerts, thanks.

Quotes taken from the SuperCoach Scores Forum 'Defender Discussion' thread.
Match the SC Member to his quote,
without using the Search Bar.
You may publicly let us know who you think, I will later reveal the answers.

(In alphabetical order: @Herbie66, @JMAC, @The Experiment, @Vicwood)
1. “Pies FWD structure looks a mess.”
2. “After last minute manic maneuveres and a shift in philosophy, went away from GG and now Doc is my D4”
3. “40 pages in and I am still not comfortable picking someone to sit in D1 ahead of Docherty”
4. “Until Cement Head returns in Round 3 or 4 and they adjust the magnets around again ?”
Answers: 1. .............................. 2. .................................. 3. ..................................... 4. ..........................................

(In alphabetical order: @bloke, @inwhiterooms, @jaca, @Rumbler)
5. “Where is everyone at on Roberton? Am I mad for not auto-picking him?.”
6. “I don't trust Leon Cameron at all to be honest...lol”
7. “I liken it more to a group of women living in close quarters. Eventually everything lines up.”
8. “Went from having a pretty stacked backline to stripping it back and going more "midpriced".
Answers: 5. .............................. 6. .................................. 7. ..................................... 8. ..........................................

(In alphabetical order: @Buddy Starmart, @Connoisseur, @Juzzo, @NT.Thunder)
9. “Anyone running a Doch D1 team? Seems some people are going heavy in defence?”
10. “Very happy with my def structure which has been consistent for the majority of the preseason”
11. “Plus the defence is a line easy to Grab the upgrade latter than starting compared to the mid.”
12. “For sure, this saves a trade for thousands if he plays round 1.”
Answers: 9. .............................. 10. .................................. 11. ..................................... 12. ..........................................

(In alphabetical order: @freowho, @OnTopBar, @Professor, @THCLT)
13. “I still think a change in role or opportunity is the best indicator of improvement.“
14. “Howe was injury ravaged last season so I would discount that when assesing his prospect.”
15. “Guess it comes down to how effectively you spend the savings of not starting him.”
16. “Crisp is a lock for me, all players have clangers, might have to check with 'sirswampthing', lol.”
Answers: 13. .............................. 14. .................................. 15. ..................................... 16. ..........................................

(In alphabetical order: @AngryAnt, @Bomber18, @Diabolical, @Leroy)
17. “Seems like a classic trap to me but let's see how it plays out (if it plays out...).”
18. “Why not? I'm starting to like him as much as any other premium defender under 500k.”
19. “It's pretty annoying when one of your players scores a 140 DT and then the SC scores come through and his score is a 90 odd.”
20. “Based on your list and concerns, I say go with Crisp then. Surely his disposal can’t get any worse....”
Answers: 17. .............................. 18. .................................. 19. ..................................... 20. ..........................................

Last edited:

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

2. “After last minute manic maneuveres and a shift in philosophy, went away from GG and now Doc is my D4”
3. “40 pages in and I am still not comfortable picking someone to sit in D1 ahead of Docherty”
4. “Until Cement Head returns in Round 3 or 4 and they adjust the magnets around again ?”
Answers: 1. .............................. 2. .................................. 3. ..................................... 4. ..........................................

7. “I liken it more to a group of women living in close quarters. Eventually everything lines up.”
8. “Went from having a pretty stacked backline to stripping it back and going more "midpriced".
Answers: 5. .............................. 6. .................................. 7. ..................................... 8. ..........................................

9. “Anyone running a Doch D1 team? Seems some people are going heavy in defence?”
10. “Very happy with my def structure which has been consistent for the majority of the preseason”
11. “Plus the defence is a line easy to Grab the upgrade latter than starting compared to the mid.”
Answers: 9. .............................. 10. .................................. 11. ..................................... 12. ..........................................

13. “I still think a change in role or opportunity is the best indicator of improvement.“
14. “Howe was injury ravaged last season so I would discount that when assesing his prospect.”
15. “Guess it comes down to how effectively you spend the savings of not starting him.”
16. “Crisp is a lock for me, all players have clangers, might have to check with 'sirswampthing', lol.”
Answers: 13. .............................. 14. .................................. 15. ..................................... 16. ..........................................

17. “Seems like a classic trap to me but let's see how it plays out (if it plays out...).”
18. “Why not? I'm starting to like him as much as any other premium defender under 500k.”
19. “It's pretty annoying when one of your players scores a 140 DT and then the SC scores come through and his score is a 90 odd.”
20. “Based on your list and concerns, I say go with Crisp then. Surely his disposal can’t get any worse....”
Answers: 17. .............................. 18. .................................. 19. ..................................... 20. ..........................................
1. @Vicwood
2. @The Experiment
3. @JMAC
4. @Herbie66

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

17. @Bomber18
18. @Diabolical
19. @AngryAnt
20. @Leroy

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

13. @freowho
14. @THCLT
15. @OnTopBar
16. @Professor

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

9. @Juzzo
10. @Connoisseur
11. @Buddy Starmart
12. @NT.Thunder