Position 2024: MIDFIELD DISCUSSION

Connoisseur

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The only 2 non-sub games was when he was replacing Dunkley.

Even when Ashcroft got injured he didn't get a look in.

Looks as though unless Dunkley or maybe Neale cop an injury then he won't get a look in.
Thank you.

Also another I have been looking at around that price range is Sam Berry ($226,900). Averaged 86.9 in 2022 off the back of superb tackle numbers but then only managed four games last season. Can any Crows supporters shed some light on his 2023 season and whether he could return to the best 22 in 2024?

AFL Club
Carlton
What are people’s thoughts on Jai Newcombe!?

I currently have a midfield of Bont, Dawson, LDU, Butters, Brayshaw & Rookies but Newcombe has been in the back of my mind all season.

I usually steer clear of that low tier premium range and just spend the extra cash but I just have a gut feeling that he could expode.

AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, what's the story with Steele. He's in for me currently because I have vague memories of him carrying injuries last year. Is that actually the case or was he Rossed?
Bit of both. St Kilda's game style has reduced his opportunities to score. I don't think we can expect prime Steele but we've seen players like Neale provide good value after an off year or two.

AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah, what's the story with Steele. He's in for me currently because I have vague memories of him carrying injuries last year. Is that actually the case or was he Rossed?
Carried that shoulder injury throughout a good portion of the season. They were very careful with his inside mid minutes to stop him reinjuring it. Can’t remember if his tackle counts were down, but wouldn’t be surprised if they were post injury.

I’m pretty confident I’ll run with him as he is a 600k+ player when fully fit.

AFL Club
Adelaide
Thank you.

Also another I have been looking at around that price range is Sam Berry ($226,900). Averaged 86.9 in 2022 off the back of superb tackle numbers but then only managed four games last season. Can any Crows supporters shed some light on his 2023 season and whether he could return to the best 22 in 2024?
Probably not room for him Crouch and Laird but he is a tasty price if a window opens

AFL Club
Carlton
@Athomas

Thoughts on G Hewett for 2024 and whether he can return close to his 2022 average?
I don't think so, feel like our midfield is much stronger than the 2022 days. Was competing with Kennedy last year for a spot, but then also Doc midfield time eats into his, since we have so many wings at the moment.

If you told me he played every game, he may be able to average enough, but I'd be too worried that he would miss games throughout either via being subbed off/on or managed every now and then with our depth.

AFL Club
North Melb.
Might be hard to find this but thought I’d throw it out there since the analytics on this site never ceases to amaze me.

What has been the highest collective average for a midfield?

I think the doggies over the past 2 seasons would be close but that’s mostly due to their high disposal game style.

Only reason I’m asking is I’m genuinely considering starting all of Sheezel, LDU, Wardlaw, McKercher & Lazzarro (if Lazz is best 22 which I’m not sure of).

I think the first 3 have 110 upside (super bullish on Wardlaw) but think the chances of all of them being good picks whilst being in a bottom 4 side is slim. I reckon most of the highest averaging midfields were top 8 sides.

I’m trying not to have my blue and white glasses on but apart from Lazzarro, all of the above players ooze talent and I think warrant strong consideration for selection.

AFL Club
Carlton
Might be hard to find this but thought I’d throw it out there since the analytics on this site never ceases to amaze me.

I think the doggies over the past 2 seasons would be close but that’s mostly due to their high disposal game style.

Only reason I’m asking is I’m genuinely considering starting all of Sheezel, LDU, Wardlaw, McKercher & Lazzarro (if Lazz is best 22 which I’m not sure of).

I think the first 3 have 110 upside (super bullish on Wardlaw) but think the chances of all of them being good picks whilst being in a bottom 4 side is slim. I reckon most of the highest averaging midfields were top 8 sides.

I’m trying not to have my blue and white glasses on but apart from Lazzarro, all of the above players ooze talent and I think warrant strong consideration for selection.
I was wondering the same thing this morning as I’m currently tempted by Young, Brayshaw, Fyfe and to a lesser extent Serong and wanted to see for myself…

The bulldogs of 22’ appear to have been the best midfield in terms of SuperCoach scoring. Bont & Macrae: 115+, Dunkley & Libba: 105+, Smith & Trealor: 95+ scores and English scoring 105 as well.

Attachments

AFL Club
North Melb.

In 2012 Beams, Swan and Pendlebury went 123, 127 and 125 respectively.

Collingwood did finish top 4, but it shows that it doesn't matter so much about who else is in your team as midfielders: if you're good enough you can all score well.

McKercher will be playing HB and Sheezel will be HB and mid split (I imagine), so there's space there for them all to score well enough.

I've had all 5 of those in my team at various times as well. Wardlaw and Lazzaro missing out atm.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
In 2012 Beams, Swan and Pendlebury went 123, 127 and 125 respectively.

Collingwood did finish top 4, but it shows that it doesn't matter so much about who else is in your team as midfielders: if you're good enough you can all score well.

McKercher will be playing HB and Sheezel will be HB and mid split (I imagine), so there's space there for them all to score well enough.

I've had all 5 of those in my team at various times as well. Wardlaw and Lazzaro missing out atm.
Also Sidey 106 and Thomas 96 in that season.

AFL Club
Essendon

Ben Cunnington never cracked 110 in his career, got close once in 2021 and was historically 10+ off that mark and you think George Wardlaw is going better than prime Cunnington after playing 8 games & going into season 2?

I hope for North's sake you're right. He'll be a jet.

AFL Club
West Coast

While not wishing to steal the jam out of your doughnut are you aiming a little high with Wardlaw at 110 upside? According to the excellent tables published by @vin.gill at the end of each season (and he has conditions to qualify for those tables eg 8 games min) from 2019 only one player has scored less than 70 one year and then jumped to 110 the next year. That was Rowan Marshall in 2019 where he was in his third year and played solo ruck, a position that often facilitates higher scoring even in less experienced players. Angus Brayshaw also went 67 to 100 in 2022. Pre 2019 Oliver went 70 to 111 in 2017 in his second year. So yes it can be done but rarely. If he does he joins rare air and well done to you and other holders. I would be thinking mid 90's is more realistic and that would still be a big win for mine. Eg Worpel went 73 to 97 in his second year.

Nearly all of the big improvers each year are experienced players that have returned to form.