Position 2024: MIDFIELD DISCUSSION

AFL Club
West Coast
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1085485...-lord-set-for-long-absence-due-to-knee-injury

Port star shakes off injury concern, young gun set for long absence
Zak Butters will play against West Coast this weekend, but a young tall is set to be sidelined for some time

By AAP

1 hr ago

PORT Adelaide prime mover Zak Butters is a certain starter for his club's premiership opener after overcoming a pre-season ankle injury.

Butters sprained his right ankle in the Power's AAMI Community Series game against Fremantle on March 1.

But the influential midfielder has been declared fit to face West Coast at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

"Lock in Butters, definitely," Power assistant coach Josh Carr said on Monday.

"I don't think you can really hold him back. He has done all the work and all the preparation, he's ready to go."

AFL Club
Carlton
Still get jumpy starting players with injury no matter how innocuous it sounds. He's still in my team at them moment...
Yeah and was reported he did the same ankle a week earlier. Had to take him out on that news. Plus he is such a bash and crash player and on the small side.

But if stays injury free could have a huge start to the year. Maybe could start and just move on if injuries come with the million trades we have now. Think I just convinced myself to put him back in 😝.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah and was reported he did the same ankle a week earlier. Had to take him out on that news. Plus he is such a bash and crash player and on the small side.

But if stays injury free could have a huge start to the year. Maybe could start and just move on if injuries come with the million trades we have now. Think I just convinced myself to put him back in 😝.
He's never left my midfield, he's had hits and injuries before but always usually recovers quickly, he's a tough little bugger.

AFL Club
Richmond
What are we thinking is the consensus on Wines?

At his age is he really likely to move back to a more substantial midfield role and add 10-15 points to his 2023 average? Must also be a bit of a sub candidate if Port need to inject more speed into the midfield later in games?

AFL Club
Melbourne

At his age is he really likely to move back to a more substantial midfield role and add 10-15 points to his 2023 average? Must also be a bit of a sub candidate if Port need to inject more speed into the midfield later in games?
I'm all aboard the Wines train. I think Port are better when he's playing well. Allows Butters and Roezee to do their thing.That being said - for me he is a stepping stone with maybe some luck that he could be a decent M8.

AFL Club
Carlton

I was until a few mentioned the sub risk, which is valid imo. I want to pick one of Wines, Martin or Amon in that price range so can flick to the best one but hopefully pick the correct one first up. Wines with his good early draw had first crack but may change now to Martin.

AFL Club
North Melb.
I was until a few mentioned the sub risk, which is valid imo. I want to pick one of Wines, Martin or Amon in that price range so can flick to the best one but hopefully pick the correct one first up. Wines with his good early draw had first crack but may change now to Martin.
Out of that bracket I’m actually on the Matt Crouch train. Think he has the most defined role in the Adelaide midfield because he is a bit of a one trick pony. And that trick is SuperCoach gold when up and running.

Sentiment of flicking to the right one is the same though. Not sure I can go 2 in that bracket - feels like picking too many M8’s.

AFL Club
Carlton
Out of that bracket I’m actually on the Matt Crouch train. Think he has the most defined role in the Adelaide midfield because he is a bit of a one trick pony. And that trick is SuperCoach gold when up and running.

Sentiment of flicking to the right one is the same though. Not sure I can go 2 in that bracket - feels like picking too many M8’s.
Yeah forgot Crouch definitely in the mix at that price, one is enough for me with all the rookies and value in the mids/fwd.

AFL Club
Carlton

Like the Wines pick, so had a look and if you can trust FanFooty, Wines has never had a sub affected game in the last four years, once when injured. Between Wines and Martin as my last decision.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Geelong
I am tossing up a Crouch v Martin v Amon v Holmes v cheaper cash options like Lyons/ J. Jordon
at that M6 spot.

If guys like Martin & Holmes are dominating off half back and setting up play too well surely they attract a tag or shut down role don't they?
Or is the ''Diacos role'' too hard to shut down?

Really it's a one trade fix to the best one early anyway but would rather nail it and save the trade!

Goodie's Guns

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am tossing up a Crouch v Martin v Amon v Holmes v cheaper cash options like Lyons/ J. Jordon
at that M6 spot.

If guys like Martin & Holmes are dominating off half back and setting up play too well surely they attract a tag or shut down role don't they?
Or is the ''Diacos role'' too hard to shut down?

Really it's a one trade fix to the best one early anyway but would rather nail it and save the trade!
Martin to half back really is an interesting one. Bloke will get exposed defensively, and teams will look to capitalise on his lack of defensive ability immediately. I think if you’re picking him you’ve got to have a hell of a lot of faith that Scott sticks with him behind the footy, and doesn’t throw him back upfield. Otherwise you’ll be stuck with him taking up a MID premium slot until you can afford to sideways/upgrade.

Last edited:
AFL Club
GWS Giants
Martin to half back really is an interesting one. Bloke will get exposed defensively, and teams will look to capitalise on his lack of defensive ability immediately. I think if you’re picking him you’ve got to have a hell of a lot of faith that Scott sticks with him behind the footy, and doesn’t throw him but upfield. Otherwise you’ll be stuck with him taking up a MID premium slot until you can afford to sideways/upgrade.
I agree, I have him but I feel like you need to pivot quickly on Martin if it doesn’t go to plan. There are some bail out options like you say though, and I took Gibcus out last minute yesterday so I’ve a saved trade there on most up my sleeve

AFL Club
Carlton
Martin and Amon yes good value but not great value and need a few things to go their way and even then not guarantee to be top 6 backs. Can just wait and see and make a decision when/if they end up in defence. Can’t see either getting to expensive to pick up later in the year, especially if they attract attention from coaches.