Position 2024: MIDFIELD DISCUSSION

AFL Club
North Melb.
Problem with the Martin/Amon selections is that you are really hoping for them to turn into defenders. There's not alot of updside at their price. Especially considering to good amount of rookie options and even the value at the Bonner/Lyons/Berry range.

AFL Club
Bulldogs
A couple of (hopefully self-explanatory) tables comparing the Top-Priced 25 Midfielders at the start of the season and the current Top-Priced 25 Mids.
Ups and Downs.JPG Steele and Touk - both of whom looked pretty good value at the start - are the two most prominent "winners"
As we all probably know, there are some heavy ($100K+) drop-o***, with 3 of the original top 11 now languishing in the rankings between 40th & 48th

AFL Club
Essendon
What's the story with Parish, inured preseason?
Reports were that he was our best performer in preseason: Essendon Bombers mid Darcy Parish mid raising the bar in standout pre-season (afl.com.au)

I did a post about him in this thread: Position - 2024: MIDFIELD DISCUSSION | Page 6 | SuperCoach Scores

Then he got injured during a training session. This is at least the second time he's had a soft tissue injury at training, I find this to be a pretty big red flag. It's one thing to get injured in a game and another to do it while jogging around at training :cautious:

Other developments to note:
  • has looked a lot worse around clearances, struggles to get first possession. This was his best strength the past few years
  • gotten a bit better at tackling intensity
  • low TOG at 68% today -- needs to fit in next to Merrett, Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs, Stringer (and Shiel, Setterfield and Perkins to come back)
  • can't boost his TOG because he only has one position (inside mid). Is no good at HB, HF or wing
I thought he played a great game today which was only undone by the low TOG. I think I'll probably skip but could understand getting him.

EDIT: Was on the bench to start both of the past 2 games, also plonked onto the bench in the last 2 mins today. Not positive signs for how the coaching team rates him this year :sick:

TLDR: Decent value at <$500k, big injury concerns, now has TOG concerns

Reports were that he was our best performer in preseason: Essendon Bombers mid Darcy Parish mid raising the bar in standout pre-season (afl.com.au)

I did a post about him in this thread: Position - 2024: MIDFIELD DISCUSSION | Page 6 | SuperCoach Scores

Then he got injured during a training session. This is at least the second time he's had a soft tissue injury at training, I find this to be a pretty big red flag. It's one thing to get injured in a game and another to do it while jogging around at training :cautious:

• has looked a lot worse around clearances, struggles to get first possession. This was his best strength the past few years
  • low TOG at 68% today -- needs to fit in next to Merrett, Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs, Stringer (and Shiel, Setterfield and Perkins to come back)
  • can't boost his TOG because he only has one position (inside mid). Is no good at HB, HF or wing
I thought he played a great game today which was only undone by the low TOG. I think I'll probably skip but could understand getting him.

EDIT: Was on the bench to start both of the past 2 games, also plonked onto the bench in the last 2 mins today. Not positive signs for how the coaching team rates him this year :sick:

Great insight, thanks legend

AFL Club
St Kilda

To add to this good work, he would’ve started the last quarter on the bench yesterday, except there was an issue with cox coming on late to the wing and he was sent off, then Parish come on. Was a strange start to the last from the bombers. Not sure why that occurred.

AFL Club
Essendon
To add to this good work, he would’ve started the last quarter on the bench yesterday, except there was an issue with cox coming on late to the wing and he was sent off, then Parish come on. Was a strange start to the last from the bombers. Not sure why that occurred.
saw that, was very odd! have also noticed that Butters often starts the game on the bench. can anyone explain that??? had a hot start to the year, surely he's in Port's best

AFL Club
West Coast
saw that, was very odd! have also noticed that Butters often starts the game on the bench. can anyone explain that??? had a hot start to the year, surely he's in Port's best
Port don’t play Rozee, Butters & JHF in the centre square, or very rarely.

Wines or Drew are always with 2 of them.

For whatever reason, Rozee & JHF seem to be the preferred to start the game. With Rozee now injured I think we see Butters now starting games in the centre square.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Not sure what is happening with Petracca and staying on the field.

2022 had zero games under 80%. 2023 had only four and this season he has had the five already with only three above.
He's a burst player, but Oliver down I assume on minutes, Petracca has had carry more of the load?
So, maybe more minutes in the mids and less minutes in the forward line?

Mids are supposed to bring so much joy, but man my selections have been cooked this season.
I made the mistake of starting both Rozee and LDU
Traded in Green the week he got injured.
Brought in Walsh on his bubble.
Trade Parish in for his lowest score of the year
Oliver was another silly trade in.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Mids are supposed to bring so much joy, but man my selections have been cooked this season.
I made the mistake of starting both Rozee and LDU
Traded in Green the week he got injured.
Brought in Walsh on his bubble.
Trade Parish in for his lowest score of the year
Oliver was another silly trade in.
Some years just don't work out the way we'd hoped they would mate, a lot of it is just timing and luck, no one would've expected LDU to be so average this season, Oliver could still turn things around but how long will you have to wait? Risky pick after what's transpired.
Initial picks are so important, otherwise you can burn all your trades trying to fix your team and still end up with a substandard bunch.

AFL Club
Essendon
With the Crows next 3 games being WC, Hawks, Rich, I was looking at Rankine next week, but now I’m thinking a bottomed out Laird? Or just spend up on Dawson?