I probably already know the answer but still interested in people’s opinions

Gawn, Grundy, 123k mid rook, 123k def rook
V
English, Clarke, Crisp, Macrae

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
If all named, I like the second one. But I also have Darcy Moore and Hore and think they're both good picks. Might depend a bit on who's needed on field. I think Moore probably outscores Collins by at least 10 and that is probably close to being o***et by Scrimshaw over Hore. If you ever had to field McKay when you could have had Clark, I think that's when the second one gets ahead.
Good summary in my view.

AFL Club
Fremantle
do you worry that the new rules are not suitable to cripps? we see alot of accumulators work with the additional space (sheed, rockliff, treloar) and dominate the statboard as a result. cripps on the other hand is somewhat one-dimensional, in the sense that he heavily relies on repeated stoppages to score well, and if the ball is cleared out of stoppages smoothly with the new rules, he might struggle to get into the game as consistently.
I do. Preseason games are often uncontested but I think the success of the more outside mids has to be given consideration. These are the contested to uncontested ratios from last year (top 40 AFL Fantasy scores, I was a bit lazy and couldn't be bothered looking at top supercoach scores but hopefully you get the idea :)) and if the AFL's desire to have less stoppages and less tackles is a success then these are the players who will suffer.

ContUncont.JPG

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dusty, and it's not even close.
Respectfully disagree here. I think it’s very close.

I actually think that Steele will carry on the excellent form and SC scores from after the bye last year and this year’s JLT.

I feel Dusty will have a better season than last year SC wise but will still spend some time up forward.

It’s very hard to predict what both will average but gun against my head and I would say around 110 for both.

Steele is 50k cheaper and has the better bye for mids so I’m leaning towards him at this stage.

AFL Club
Melbourne
Mundy and Goldy

Really like that combo personally even at their age.
Grundy and Greene I say fairly easily

Greene was $200k more expensive this time last year. All Australian forward.

Mundy and Goldy are picks against the odds at their age.
Thanks for your responses. Both are helpful, but I am still torn.

Even though they are a bit old, I am looking at Mundy & Goldy as a couple of safe & reliable hands who have possibly a little bit of upside. Hopefully low drama, set & forget.

Greene seems to have a lot of upside and is super cheap, but has a high injury & suspension risk.
Grundy is obviously capable of scoring big, but is very expensive and has very high ownership. I also continue to be concerned about his toe (even if it is only minor) and whether this may have a small impact on him which might let him be picked up cheaper at some stage.

Out of interest, what do people think Grundy can realistically average this year?

AFL Club
GWS Giants
I do. Preseason games are often uncontested but I think the success of the more outside mids has to be given consideration. These are the contested to uncontested ratios from last year (top 40 AFL Fantasy scores, I was a bit lazy and couldn't be bothered looking at top supercoach scores but hopefully you get the idea :)) and if the AFL's desire to have less stoppages and less tackles is a success then these are the players who will suffer.

View attachment 7349
this is actually insightful! will chuck you a like before the like police catches me. anyways, don't think it is a concern for grundy, cripps fyfe. their contested possessions may reduce but their disposal efficiency should increase with more room and time, which also lowers their clanger count. it's really hard to tell what the effects of the rule changes are, we might potentially see cripps and fyfe reach high 70s in efficiency as they are less pressured when dishing out handballs

AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I actually think that Steele will carry on the excellent form and SC scores from after the bye last year and this year’s JLT.

I feel Dusty will have a better season than last year SC wise but will still spend some time up forward.

It’s very hard to predict what both will average but gun against my head and I would say around 110 for both.

Steele is 50k cheaper and has the better bye for mids so I’m leaning towards him at this stage.
Dusty has shown he can top out around 120 and while I don't think Steele is a bad pick I'd be very surprised if he got to 110 across the season, for me the 50k investment with the suggestion of another 10ppg is enough to have me lean Dusty. Neither are in my team though for what it's worth.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dusty has shown he can top out around 120 and while I don't think Steele is a bad pick I'd be very surprised if he got to 110 across the season, for me the 50k investment with the suggestion of another 10ppg is enough to have me lean Dusty. Neither are in my team though for what it's worth.
It took him a 35+ Brownlow vote year to even get 119.5, what’s giving the indication he can be back around that?

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It took him a 35+ Brownlow vote year to even get 119.5, what’s giving the indication he can be back around that?
I'm not saying he will, but he's certainly shown he's capable of it. I don't think it's plausible to argue there's more upside in Steele than Dusty, unless you believe Steele is capable of going 115+? As I said I don't think either are great starting picks personally but in XvY's, I'll always lean to the player with more upside when they are at similar price points. If the 50k you save on Steele can be meaningfully invested elsewhere it's potentially a different story, but that's another XvY all together.

AFL Club
Adelaide

I think you are being kind of casual about Steele adding 15.6ppg average in one year, playing for that side.

It could happen, for sure. But it’s a big leap and 110 is elite mid territory, not many get there.

Ben's Beasts

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think you are being kind of casual about Steele adding 15.6ppg average in one year, playing for that side.

It could happen, for sure. But it’s a big leap and 110 is elite mid territory, not many get there.
His average last season was impacted by playing as a tagger for most rounds of the first half of the season. Post byes he was relieved of tagging duties and he averaged 111.8. Just needs to carry that form into this year for a 110 average. Not saying he will, but I think he’s a decent chance.

AFL Club
GWS Giants
His average last season was impacted by playing as a tagger for most rounds of the first half of the season. Post byes he was relieved of tagging duties and he averaged 111.8. Just needs to carry that form into this year for a 110 average. Not saying he will, but I think he’s a decent chance.
He had big numbers in the NEAFL IIRC - never had any issues finding the ball - had a 40+ disposal game with GWS which included some crazy number of kicks. If they give him a see ball get ball licence his numbers will go up significantly I reckon. Still not going to pick him though.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not saying he will, but he's certainly shown he's capable of it. I don't think it's plausible to argue there's more upside in Steele than Dusty, unless you believe Steele is capable of going 115+? As I said I don't think either are great starting picks personally but in XvY's, I'll always lean to the player with more upside when they are at similar price points. If the 50k you save on Steele can be meaningfully invested elsewhere it's potentially a different story, but that's another XvY all together.
Nah agree I don’t think Steele can go 115 but personally don’t think Dusty can go 120 either.

It would be more so thinking Steele can go 110 at an absolute maximum because I don’t think it’s possible for Dusty to go higher than 120 and he’s already priced 10 points higher than Steele.

It’s a balancing act though because it’s easy to say a guy isn’t capable of going at a rate because he hasn’t done it before compared to someone being capable of doing their past scores again, just because they have in the past. It’s a moot point for a guy at 23 compared to 28 because if you’re picking the cheaper 23 year old, it’s pretty much always going to be on hope they break out like all the other ‘proven’ older guys you are comparing them too. They had to break out at a younger age too and doesn’t mean necessarily they are better picks because they have scored will in the past.

I see a lot of JPK in Steele personally. They are both bulls and Steele now has the tagging role taken away.

JPK seasons:
1) 50.6 (3)
2) 80.8 (10)
3) 81 (22) (NEW CLUB)
4) 96 (22)
5) 119.6 (22) (23 years old)

Steele seasons:
1) 63 (7)
2) 63.8 (10)
3) 91.1 (20) NEW CLUB
4) 94.4 (21)
5) ??? (23 years old)

Not saying he will score anywhere near 120 average but you can see the similarities in their first 4 year form, game style even the new club in their 3rd season, same age, similar sc scores and all.

They are the exact same height and very close to the same weight at the same age too. There’s a lot of comparisons.