Opinion Player X vs. Player Y

Rowsus

Statistician
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just my 0.02¢ worth.
I reckon Hannebery is easy.
He went from below elite, to elite, all based on one thing - fitness.
He hasn't been fit, for one reason or another, the past 2 seasons. If he's looking and running well in the JLT, and can show his fitness levels are back to 2015/16 levels, he's an easy pick as a stepping stone, or cheap M8. If there is any doubt at all on his fitness, you just don't touch him!

AFL Club
North Melb.
Dunkley vs McLean

I read that Dunkley took McLean's place in the midfield around mid-season. Looking at their SC pts, it seems right, as Dunkley's pts started to increase and McLean's pts decrease. Both ended up averaging approx. 95pts for the season. Both are Fwd/Mids. Both are capable midfielders. But it appears only one will play in the midfield. Which one? Will they share the midfield in 2019, hmmm?
I would say neither. With Libba back, both will lose mid time. If I had to choose, I’d go Mclean, since he scores ok at half-forward as well, so he’s less risky.

AFL Club
Essendon
I would say neither. With Libba back, both will lose mid time. If I had to choose, I’d go Mclean, since he scores ok at half-forward as well, so he’s less risky.
100% correct here, Dunkley could be a 100 average player but at that price it seems unnecessary to take such a big risk. Ive had him in my team but dont feel comfortable. I don't see him averaging 110 or anything extravagant. The F3 spot is looking very very difficult

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
100% correct here, Dunkley could be a 100 average player but at that price it seems unnecessary to take such a big risk. Ive had him in my team but dont feel comfortable. I don't see him averaging 110 or anything extravagant. The F3 spot is looking very very difficult
Hmm - do you not like Devon?

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just my 0.02¢ worth.
I reckon Hannebery is easy.
He went from below elite, to elite, all based on one thing - fitness.
He hasn't been fit, for one reason or another, the past 2 seasons. If he's looking and running well in the JLT, and can show his fitness levels are back to 2015/16 levels, he's an easy pick as a stepping stone, or cheap M8. If there is any doubt at all on his fitness, you just don't touch him!
Thanks mate - this is the way I was leaning. Good to get all the extra info to understand the risks better, although perhaps this is still the way to approach the pick.

Warming to Miles as a pick with less downside risk (albeit maybe less upside) if Hanners doesn’t get up.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oliver, J Kelly, Blakely vs Zerrett, Dusty, Laird
The second one by 3-0 for me, based on what we know right now. Much better chance of getting 66 games out of those three as well I’d suggest.

I have Dusty as a lock, Zerrett as a likely starter (in right now) and Laird out only because there are quite a few others I like down back across price points.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
He might be a bit expensive for me, I think he can get even better but he might lose mid time next year with Shiel and young players stepping up. Also has a delayed start to preseason
Good colour, thanks. Who do you think could take some of his mid time amongst the young ones?

Also wasn’t aware of the delayed start, I’ll need to monitor that - thanks.

If I recall correctly he was recruited to bring pressure, and he may have had the best pressure season ever, with record tackles, so I was working on the basis that they’d be working around him playing mid, rather than the other way around.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
M6 query

Brouch v Rockliff
My suggestion would be neither ... and that's as someone who usually has Rocky in his early drafts :p

With that said, Rocky is more likely to generate captain worthy scores in my view, and can go on a run, so he could make semi decent cash if the cards fall your way (albeit at their prices, if either is a good cash cow, they'll be hard to trade out, likely averaging 110+ in that scenario). He's been poor at the Power and seems to have lacked midfield time, so he'd appeal more if there were some injuries or if you think personnel changes have opened this up for him. Crouch seems to have potential, but I'm not sure if we will end up seeing him realise it. His best run and career peak price were at the tail end of his second season, in 2014. He would want to have a perfect pre season to be semi viable in my view. So I'd err on Rocky, to answer your question.

My broader suggestion would be that there are better cheaper options in Libba, Hanners and Miles, and that you could be going a bit deep if you have B Crouch or Rocky starting as your sixth midfielder.

Bomber18

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Essendon
17 months and 15 games without scoring a 100 with his best being an 87.
It's not a 100 but Hanners did score 98 DT and 96 SC in his last AFL game being the EF against GWS last season - I thought that was encouraging at the time!

At this stage, I have Hanners ahead of Miles. Mainly cos I don't quite trust GC. They had Barlow and everyone talked him up that preseason but he barely got a game. Miles went over in a similar fashion to Barlow with the hope of playing more AFL games but it's not guaranteed that he does.

If Hanners isn't fit, I'm just going to scrap the mid pricer in the midfield rather than fall back to Miles

My suggestion would be neither ... and that's as someone who usually has Rocky in his early drafts :p

With that said, Rocky is more likely to generate captain worthy scores in my view, and can go on a run, so he could make semi decent cash if the cards fall your way (albeit at their prices, if either is a good cash cow, they'll be hard to trade out, likely averaging 110+ in that scenario). He's been poor at the Power and seems to have lacked midfield time, so he'd appeal more if there were some injuries or if you think personnel changes have opened this up for him. Crouch seems to have potential, but I'm not sure if we will end up seeing him realise it. His best run and career peak price were at the tail end of his second season, in 2014. He would want to have a perfect pre season to be semi viable in my view. So I'd err on Rocky, to answer your question.

My broader suggestion would be that there are better cheaper options in Libba, Hanners and Miles, and that you could be going a bit deep if you have B Crouch or Rocky starting as your sixth midfielder.
Cheers

Currently
M6 Brouch
D4 Newman
F4 Toby

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cheers

Currently
M6 Brouch
D4 Newman
F4 Toby
No problem - that’s good depth across lines. If you’re happy with your rucks and that you’re not compromising on your other premiums, you should be pretty satisfied with that side.