Opinion Player X vs. Player Y

No problem - that’s good depth across lines. If you’re happy with your rucks and that you’re not compromising on your other premiums, you should be pretty satisfied with that side.
Its Risk central but i like it
Includes all the mid guns
Tmitch, fyfe, Cripps, dusty, Sloane, brouch
Danger, Hoff, Gresham (trying to find 70k to make gresh into tim Kelly)
Whitfield, connor, zac, newman

Rucks are my Risk
Goldy (no risk imo) and kreuzer

AFL Club
Collingwood
………...At this stage, I have Hanners ahead of Miles. Mainly cos I don't quite trust GC. They had Barlow and everyone talked him up that preseason but he barely got a game. Miles went over in a similar fashion to Barlow with the hope of playing more AFL games but it's not guaranteed that he does...……...
But if my memory correct, Dew didn't bring Barlow to the club, but he did bring in Miles.
Yeah Bomber18, it's not guaranteed that Miles will play more AFL games, but I like what jones711 said about Dew bringing in Miles.
I think Miles will get many games based on the article below, but how well will he score is another matter.

Tuesday, 9 October 2018
New Gold Coast recruit Anthony Miles says he has been informed by Suns coach Stuart Dew that his role at the Suns will be as an inside midfielder to relieve pressure on his younger teammates.
"He said, 'We've got guys playing inside mid at the moment who at another club would be playing half-forward, but they're being thrown into the deep end'," Miles said.
"Basically, his vision for me is to play that inside role, crash and bash a bit, then to use my hands and get it to the outside.
"To help those guys develop and to play other positions and not be forced to play inside mid so early in their careers."
Lee Gaskin for AFL.com.au

AFL Club
Essendon
Good colour, thanks. Who do you think could take some of his mid time amongst the young ones?

Also wasn’t aware of the delayed start, I’ll need to monitor that - thanks.

If I recall correctly he was recruited to bring pressure, and he may have had the best pressure season ever, with record tackles, so I was working on the basis that they’d be working around him playing mid, rather than the other way around.
Yeah thats right but we also love him as a forward because he can apply pressure there. He will still see decent mid time but Shiel will take more time from him and Myers than Merrett and Heppell because he can play well up forward. Parish, McGrath and Langford could also get more time in there next year.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dusty vs Matt Crouch
Other than price, I'm struggling to find an area in which Crouch might have an edge ... Dusty is much more durable, has scored better than Crouch in every season they've played, and has a bigger ceiling both in a single game and over a season. They've even got the same bye. Crouch may have more natural progression in him, but Dusty is only 27, and Crouch doesn't seem to go much above 130s on what we've seen so far.

Personally I see Dusty as a straightforward pick, so I should probably flag that. With that said, Crouch would seem to be adding risk to you rather side without a lot of additional upside, unless you really need the additional cash.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah thats right but we also love him as a forward because he can apply pressure there. He will still see decent mid time but Shiel will take more time from him and Myers than Merrett and Heppell because he can play well up forward. Parish, McGrath and Langford could also get more time in there next year.
Thanks mate, that's helpful.

I imagine Myers (mid only, 77 SC average) could be one to lose a bit of time there, but as you point out often it's about where else they can play.

Given that he's averaging only fractionally more than an average player (75) as an SC pure mid, I'm guessing they may be thinking about whether he has a spot in the side, unless he has managed to deal with his off field issues ... hopefully he has.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Its Risk central but i like it
Includes all the mid guns
Tmitch, fyfe, Cripps, dusty, Sloane, brouch
Danger, Hoff, Gresham (trying to find 70k to make gresh into tim Kelly)
Whitfield, connor, zac, newman

Rucks are my Risk
Goldy (no risk imo) and kreuzer
That's probably a pretty sensible set of risks, I'd argue.

Mids look great, backs are understandable, Danger and Hoff are durable and give you some DPP flex, Gresham has shown a bit, and I tend to agree re Goldy. Kreuzer doesn't appeal that much to me (says the guy with Mumford :p) but I'm a bit surprised more people aren't looking back 1-2 seasons to names like him and Ryder, given this has been a decent way to pick rucks in the past, and few are locking in Grundy plus Gawn.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I don't like Devon either as a starter. Probably still averages 90-95 odd over 20 odd games. Rather take a punt on someone at 430k to reach that mark
Thanks mate - he managed just under 98 last year, sounds like you may be thinking he loses some mid time as well?

AFL Club
Essendon
Other than price, I'm struggling to find an area in which Crouch might have an edge ... Dusty is much more durable, has scored better than Crouch in every season they've played, and has a bigger ceiling both in a single game and over a season. They've even got the same bye. Crouch may have more natural progression in him, but Dusty is only 27, and Crouch doesn't seem to go much above 130s on what we've seen so far.

Personally I see Dusty as a straightforward pick, so I should probably flag that. With that said, Crouch would seem to be adding risk to you rather side without a lot of additional upside, unless you really need the additional cash.
Yeah I basically understand you. I think they are complete opposite midfielders and scorers, Dusty is damaging with the ball but isn't a massive accumulator and Crouch finds the ball at will but isn't damaging with the ball at all. If both fix the the other part of their game both would be elite scorers.

My issue with the Dusty pick is that he's had one spike year since he started playing in 2010 and that it might not come back, Crouch started in 2014 so I think that he can get better and I see vast potential for improvement if he can improve his kicking. Dusty has scored above 103.9 the past 3 seasons so he probably won't go too bad but Crouch actually averaged higher than him this year excluding the injury affected game. I feel like Crouch is a safe pick who has upside because he is Tom Mitchell like in his ability to find the ball, could get more time on ground and will rarely get tagged over Sloane. His 92 average in 2016 was also from 72% time on ground, and he's not going to regress in that sense.

There's a 2017 article from Fox Sports that says the following "In 2015, Crouch’s kicking was rated ‘poor’ by Champion Data. Last year, he improved that rating to ‘below average’ before lifting it again this year, to have his kick rated at the AFL average level."
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ad...t/news-story/d5e8d0db88b97b8224f00d88b1d2e9d7

I get the sense that his kick rating this year was down, looking at AFL stats pro his high scoring in the 2nd half of last year coincided with improved kicking efficiency and his underwhelming scores this year were from a poor kicking efficiency. If he can kick a bit more and kick better with less clangers his scores could improve. I don't think that they will improve tremendously but they can get better.

However, I feel like he has less of a ceiling than Dusty and like you said Dusty has shown the propensity to go big, Crouch really has not. Dusty's disposals were down this year, if they get back up he's a great pick. Dusty played the exact same amount of time, 29% in the forward line, according to HS articles in the past two seasons. Both also played with injury problems this season.

In the end I'm probably picking Dusty even though I've stated Crouch's case in response to your reasoning but both are safe picks relative to their price.

Last edited:

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah I basically understand you. I think they are complete opposite midfielders and scorers, Dusty is damaging with the ball but isn't a massive accumulator and Crouch finds the ball at will but isn't damaging with the ball at all. If both fix the the other part of their game both would be elite scorers.

My issue with the Dusty pick is that he's had one spike year since he started playing in 2010 and that it might not come back, Crouch started in 2014 so I think that he can get better and I see vast potential for improvement if he can improve his kicking. Dusty has scored above 103.9 the past 3 seasons so he probably won't go too bad but Crouch actually averaged higher than him this year excluding the injury affected game. I feel like Crouch is a safe pick who has upside because he is Tom Mitchell like in his ability to find the ball, could get more time on ground and will rarely get tagged over Sloane. His 92 average in 2016 was also from 72% time on ground, and he's not going to regress in that sense.

There's a 2017 article from Fox Sports that says the following "In 2015, Crouch’s kicking was rated ‘poor’ by Champion Data. Last year, he improved that rating to ‘below average’ before lifting it again this year, to have his kick rated at the AFL average level."
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ad...t/news-story/d5e8d0db88b97b8224f00d88b1d2e9d7

I get the sense that his kick rating this year was down, looking at AFL stats pro his high scoring in the 2nd half of last year coincided with improved kicking efficiency and his underwhelming scores this year were from a poor kicking efficiency. If he can kick a bit more and kick better with less clangers his scores could improve. I don't think that they will improve tremendously but they can get better.

However, I feel like he has less of a ceiling than Dusty and like you said Dusty has shown the propensity to go big, Crouch really has not. Dusty's disposals were down this year, if they get back up he's a great pick. Dusty played the exact same amount of time, 29% in the forward line, according to HS articles in the past two seasons. Both also played with injury problems this season.

In the end I'm probably picking Dusty even though I've stated Crouch's case in response to your reasoning but both are safe picks relative to their price.
Some good points here, including some I was not aware of. I think Dusty is a very good pick, personally (I had him as 3rd behind Danger and Fyfe as my only locks even before I knew Danger was DPP), so if you think Crouch runs him close, perhaps you can pick both?

AFL Club
Essendon
Some good points here, including some I was not aware of. I think Dusty is a very good pick, personally (I had him as 3rd behind Danger and Fyfe as my only locks even before I knew Danger was DPP), so if you think Crouch runs him close, perhaps you can pick both?
Both are fighting for the last spot in my side to be honest.

AFL Club
West Coast

Their 2017 compared

1545653111305.png

AFL Club
Collingwood
Both are fighting for the last spot in my side to be honest.
I'm leaning to Dusty because of Lynch. I'm thinking Dusty won't be needed up forward as much (besides the odd rest) so he will score more by playing more midfield time.
If M Crouch can't improve his kicking after all these years, I don't think he ever will improve his kicking, so I see that there is a less chance he will improve on his scoring.

AFL Club
Essendon
I'm leaning to Dusty because of Lynch. I'm thinking Dusty won't be needed up forward as much (besides the odd rest) so he will score more by playing more midfield time.
If M Crouch can't improve his kicking after all these years, I don't think he ever will improve his kicking, so I see that there is a less chance he will improve on his scoring.
I mean he's only 23 and he did improve it last year only for it to regress this year (the hamstring injury would not have helped). Lachie Neale is a player who has improved his kicking a lot the past two seasons, Tom Mitchell also has improved over the years. I'm not filled with confidence as I often think that disposals are more likely to improve rather than the quality of disposal at age 23, but it does happen.

It's not a 100 but Hanners did score 98 DT and 96 SC in his last AFL game being the EF against GWS last season - I thought that was encouraging at the time!

At this stage, I have Hanners ahead of Miles. Mainly cos I don't quite trust GC. They had Barlow and everyone talked him up that preseason but he barely got a game. Miles went over in a similar fashion to Barlow with the hope of playing more AFL games but it's not guaranteed that he does.

If Hanners isn't fit, I'm just going to scrap the mid pricer in the midfield rather than fall back to Miles

Dew has said Miles was recruited to play an inside midfield role - to take pressure off the kids.