Strategy Round 9: Trades

AFL Club
North Melb.
Zerk presents an interesting conundrum for those looking for a defensive downgrade. On the face of it his JS looks shaky. Any reason to think it is better than that?

AFL Club
Fremantle
I need to grab a rookie (on top of Close & Draper) either this week or next week.

Should I get Ling this week or get 1 of Ballenden/Skinner next week? I have to make my decision before Essendon v Brisbane starts tomorrow.
What would you do with your 3rd trade this week if you don't downgrade?

If you can upgrade do that so you can wait a week to pick a rookie. Ling will still be gettable next week

AFL Club
Richmond
Went- Out Doedee, Tyler Brown, Bewley In Tobe Watson, Oliver, Bailey Smith.
Taking a risk that Tobe gets picked.

What would you do with your 3rd trade this week if you don't downgrade?

If you can upgrade do that so you can wait a week to pick a rookie. Ling will still be gettable next week
I will get Draper instead of Ling this week, then Ballenden/Skinner next week.
The alternative is Ling this week, then Draper next week.

I'm only willing to pay 123k, so trading after a price rise isn't an option.

AFL Club
Essendon
Out: Taylor, Brown and Dev Smith

In: Neale, Close and Stewart (going a week early)

It’s only been 10 min but gee it feels good to have Neale.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
How are people going on the path to full premo?

After Petracca this round, and another 2 in Rd 10 I'll still need to find another 4

I can see a path to 2 of them, but the last 2 will be a real struggle with generating the cash.
I'm slower than most...totally missed trading in when we had 5 on offer, been playing catchup ever since. 6 to go, not counting TJL and Dev Smith. So a long way off compared to most. Triple down this week, double up next week, then 1 up per round till finals. Rookies should be able to fund it... possibly draper next week will need to fund the final upgrade, but after that downgrades will be FDs unless a Rankine esk rookie comes along.
After next weeks upgrades I'll have: Rucks: Gawndy, Fwds: 1+ (TJL/Dev) (will buy Simpkin in 2 rounds), Mids 1 upgrade req'd (With Titch at M7), Def 2 upgrades req'd including needing to shell out for Lloyd.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Collingwood

After Petracca this round, and another 2 in Rd 10 I'll still need to find another 4

I can see a path to 2 of them, but the last 2 will be a real struggle with generating the cash.
Will be replacing 4 onfield rookies this round and next which will only leave me Rankine onfield 😀

Unfortunately I have "fake" premiums in :-

Yeo , D Smith
Ladhams
Butler , Ceglar , Lynch

and with probably close to zero in the 🏦 no idea (at this stage) how to fix them all but will worry about that Round 11.

I feel I am going to end up with 5 M8's though , none of Daniel , Haynes & Lloyd in defence or Brayahaw , Greenwood , Petracca , Simpkin forward so will probably be still 200 or so off the pace each round once others are full premium.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will be replacing 4 onfield rookies this round and next which will only leave me Rankine onfield 😀

Unfortunately I have "fake" premiums in :-

Yeo , D Smith
Ladhams
Butler , Ceglar , Lynch

and with probably close to zero in the 🏦 no idea (at this stage) how to fix them all but will worry about that Round 11.

I feel I am going to end up with 5 M8's though , none of Daniel , Haynes & Lloyd in defence or Brayahaw , Greenwood , Petracca , Simpkin forward so will probably be still 200 or so off the pace each round once others are full premium.
I want you to bookmark the post you just made and revisit each week before making your trades next year; assuming we are back to regular programming. I feel that a number of your ideas and subsequent decisions, across many seasons, play into this situation in the long run. So put a filter on ideas when trading - how does this get me to full premo and what is it costing me down the track. Now that cost I think is actually rather simple, I'm as guilty as the next person of over complicating it. I'm coming around to the idea that limiting factor in this game is actually the number of trades, don't get me wrong cash gen is important but ulitmately it's trades that limits everything. As long-term early member of the nontrades committee it's been a long learning experience. Each time you bring in a mid-pricer that doesn't perform (i.e. make $150k and perform at near premo level) it costs an extra trade. It means upgrading to an uber premo later, or to just a premo (like Yeo) bacause you can't harvest that extra rookie in time. I want you to do well bud, you put in so much time and effort.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I want you to bookmark the post you just made and revisit each week before making your trades next year; assuming we are back to regular programming. I feel that a number of your ideas and subsequent decisions, across many seasons, play into this situation in the long run. So put a filter on ideas when trading - how does this get me to full premo and what is it costing me down the track. Now that cost I think is actually rather simple, I'm as guilty as the next person of over complicating it. I'm coming around to the idea that limiting factor in this game is actually the number of trades, don't get me wrong cash gen is important but ulitmately it's trades that limits everything. As long-term early member of the nontrades committee it's been a long learning experience. Each time you bring in a mid-pricer that doesn't perform (i.e. make $150k and perform at near premo level) it costs an extra trade. It means upgrading to an uber premo later, or to just a premo (like Yeo) bacause you can't harvest that extra rookie in time. I want you to do well bud, you put in so much time and effort.
I made a decision a few weeks back to try and trade for value and generate $$$ that way because the majority of my bench was not going to generate enough cash for me and I wasn't confident in the second wave of rookies be able to generate $$$ either.

I probably needed to show more patience and wait and just accept it to 1.5-2.5 downgrades to do a upgrade.

You are spot on , I am now looking extremely likely to be left with 4 total spuds for the rest of the season around that $ 300 - $ 350 k mark and still with a poor cash generating bench.

I compromised my starting side due to the Virus , thought I had the right rookies from the start (except King) probably should have replaced Fyfe , Heeney , Sloane , Stewart with premiums instead of going for value.

Still thinking TJL was (and Devon Smith) were worth starting.

Will follow my plan for Round 9 & 10 , and then resit for the remainder of the season.

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:
AFL Club
Geelong

Starcevich, Simpson, Serong and Rankine left for me on field. I still need Neale mind you.

AFL Club
Collingwood
I blame Round 5

Out: Fyfe (injured) , Stewart (injured)
In: Ceglar (53 , 43 , DNP , DNP) 😢 , Ridley ✓

Round 6

Rowell (injured) - > Whitfield @ $ 441,200.00 ✓
Budarick - > Yeo (was under $ 500k , last 2 season's of 107+ , hard not to jump on)

Round 7

Sloane (injured) - > McGrath (looked at Swallow)

Round 8

Pittonet - > Ladhams (on a 2-3 game hunch)
C Taylor - > Bazlenka ✓

Round 9 In: Hurn & Parker
Round 10 In: Duncan & Stewart

so hope those 4 all work

From memory when I traded Butler in he was going to be the pathway to Whitfield , but then injury to Rowell (and others) happened

Last edited:
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I made a decision a few weeks back to try and trade for value and generate $$$ that way because the majority of my bench was not going to generate enough cash for me and I wasn't confident in the second wave of rookies be able to generate $$$ either.

I probably needed to show more patience and wait and just accept it to 1.5-2.5 downgrades to do a upgrade.

You are spot on , I am now looking extremely likely to be left with 4 total spuds for the rest of the season around that $ 300 - $ 350 k mark and still with a poor cash generating bench.

I compromised my starting side due to the Virus , thought I had the right rookies from the start (except King) probably should have replaced Fyfe , Heeney , Sloane , Stewart with premiums instead of going for value.

Still thinking TJL was (and Devon Smith) were worth starting.

Will follow my plan for Round 9 & 10 , and then resit for the remainder of the season.

Thanks for the feedback
Yeah mate this year is a bit special. I started TJL, Dev and Houston but the rest were legit premos wish I'd dropped the three in hindsight and started llyod and petracca but hey can't guess them all.

AFL Club
Carlton
So who is keeping Dev Smith? I'd like to keep him as i think he can turn it around eventually but most of my rookies haven't appreciated enough in value to be able to upgrade them without extra trades and downgrading to speculative rookies. He still has value to allow for upgrades at the expense of not removing an actual roookie off field. Not sure whether it's worth sacrificing a player that when played in his best position, can score consistent tons.