Strategy Round 9: Trades

AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah mate this year is a bit special. I started TJL, Dev and Houston but the rest were legit premos wish I'd dropped the three in hindsight and started llyod and petracca but hey can't guess them all.
I think I was something like :-

Laird , Sicily , Docherty
Bont , Cripps , Fyfe , Kelly , Sloane
Grundy , Naismith
Greene , Heeney , Smith , TJL & Jack Reiwoldt

10 premiums
5 mid pricers

Honestly didn't think we get through Round 1 let alone be playing again.

Of that 15 I only have 9 remaining.

Let's see 2021 team

Lloyd
Macrae , Mitchell , Neale , Rowell
English , Grundy
Heeney

AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think I was something like :-

Laird , Sicily , Docherty
Bont , Cripps , Fyfe , Kelly , Sloane
Grundy , Naismith
Greene , Heeney , Smith , TJL & Jack Reiwoldt

10 premiums
5 mid pricers

Honestly didn't think we get through Round 1 let alone be playing again.

Of that 15 I only have 9 remaining.

Let's see 2021 team

Lloyd
Macrae , Mitchell , Neale , Rowell
English , Grundy
Heeney
Run the filter over Rowell... SC av 100 effectively a 20% disc because of injury game, prolly cops another 10% because of limited games. Starts at say $480k. Perhaps. But last years browlow winner, mvp, goat, fist year player (Walsh) hasn't been a great pick this year. Even Joel Selwood took 3 years to hit 110 across a season. The filter clearly says no to heeney. Hasn't averaged 100 and doesn't look like getting a mid spot...would need to train exclusively with the mids and Max out cbas in the preseason to think that is good pick. English is going to start expensive. But will he overtake gawn? Anyways, it's too early to start this banta. Set yourself a goal of only starting 14 non rookies next year, one less than this year. Your player quality will be better for it. Fwiw I'm going from 14 down to 13.

Darkie

Leadership Group
AFL Club
Collingwood
Run the filter over Rowell... SC av 100 effectively a 20% disc because of injury game, prolly cops another 10% because of limited games. Starts at say $480k. Perhaps. But last years browlow winner, mvp, goat, fist year player (Walsh) hasn't been a great pick this year. Even Joel Selwood took 3 years to hit 110 across a season. The filter clearly says no to heeney. Hasn't averaged 100 and doesn't look like getting a mid spot...would need to train exclusively with the mids and Max out cbas in the preseason to think that is good pick. English is going to start expensive. But will he overtake gawn? Anyways, it's too early to start this banta. Set yourself a goal of only starting 14 non rookies next year, one less than this year. Your player quality will be better for it. Fwiw I'm going from 14 down to 13.
A simple tweak I’ve found useful is to think in terms of how you can maximize your chances of picking the best cash cows: simply by starting more of them.

This leads to fewer mid pricers (the average quality of which will be much higher as a result), a higher number of cows with good prospects, and you naturally end up with higher quality premiums because you still have the same budget, but fewer non-rookies to spread it across.

It’s much easier to find a $500k mid or $450k fwd/def to fill one of your last spots at this time of year than to “have” to find $650-750k to get the uber premiums you didn’t start (eg Gawn, Grundy, Neale or Lloyd).

AFL Club
Essendon
A simple tweak I’ve found useful is to think in terms of how you can maximize your chances of picking the best cash cows: simply by starting more of them.

This leads to fewer mid pricers (the average quality of which will be much higher as a result), a higher number of cows with good prospects, and you naturally end up with higher quality premiums because you still have the same budget, but fewer non-rookies to spread it across.

It’s much easier to find a $500k mid or $450k fwd/def to fill one of your last spots at this time of year than to “have” to find $650-750k to get the uber premiums you didn’t start (eg Gawn, Grundy, Neale or Lloyd).
Excellent Post.

AFL Club
Carlton
So who is keeping Dev Smith? I'd like to keep him as i think he can turn it around eventually but most of my rookies haven't appreciated enough in value to be able to upgrade them without extra trades and downgrading to speculative rookies. He still has value to allow for upgrades at the expense of not removing an actual roookie off field. Not sure whether it's worth sacrificing a player that when played in his best position, can score consistent tons.
I'm keeping him as the priority is to move the rookies off field first (even though Dev is scoring like 1)

AFL Club
Essendon
So who is keeping Dev Smith? I'd like to keep him as i think he can turn it around eventually but most of my rookies haven't appreciated enough in value to be able to upgrade them without extra trades and downgrading to speculative rookies. He still has value to allow for upgrades at the expense of not removing an actual roookie off field. Not sure whether it's worth sacrificing a player that when played in his best position, can score consistent tons.
I tossed this up to, but culling him allowed me to get Oliver instead of Viney so i went with that

AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah this is what my thought process was too. I just didn't wanna do any sideways trades during this bye period, especially on a player who good JS. Also most of my opponents still have him. I think I'll be keeping him for another 2-3 weeks. Worst case scenario is he drops another 30-40k in price but he'll still be fairly close to what his starting price was. Probably looking at upgrading him to Cripps or someone once their price bottoms out.

AFL Club
West Coast
literally just traded him to Taylor adams. Wasnt my original plan, but looking over the next 2 weeks Best 18 it helps my byes, gives other cows who are still making cash a chance to moo some more. Devon certainly has good JS but theres actually a fair chance he wont be in my best 18 over the next 2 rounds, hence i was comfortable trading him out. Means stewart in next week for Starc, Gaff after his bye and then Marlion/Izak the only rookies on field. should have no more rookies on field by round 12/13 at worst.

Is it already time for the round 10 trade thread yet? only 3 days out from it!

AFL Club
Hawthorn
anyone have any thoughts on Ben Keays?
I just picked him up for depth and bye coverage in a 10 team (3 forwards format) SC keeper league. So I would have him roughly in the top 50 forwards, but not much higher.

I expect his last 2 scores may be a short term purple patch. Fan footy notes for last week that he was tagging Merrett. Perhaps the early injury to Crouch last week may have helped his TOG and CBA numbers.

For SC classic I am personally not a fan of picking midpricers without a strong scoring history in past years.

With that said if you would be happy with 85-90 points a week rather than shelling out for a legitimate premium or fallen premium he might be worth a look.

If I was chasing value I would be looking at the likes of Cripps (Round 12) and Simpkin (Round 11?) once they bottom out, even if it means an extra rookie score and cash sitting on your bench this week.

As a crows fan do you see his scoring being above 90 for the next 9-10 weeks ?

AFL Club
Adelaide
Thanks for your reply.

His last 5 - 76,100,54,114,116 (the 54 against the eagles)

I don't actually watch games at all so I cannot comment as to long term.

Having read the crows forum he seems to be playing as a defensive midfielder who has been
recently instructed to win more of his own ball, which he has done the last weeks. Hi is fit and strong and
playing for a contract.

B Crouch now out, Sloan always seems to have niggles, so given his current role, I suspect there could be
a 90 - 105 average there and.....risk :(

I think you have made a good pick up there for your keeper league.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Not knowing the teams to come is horrible - I just want to make my trades and get on with the rest of my life :rolleyes:

Pulled the trigger on Dev for Close- no idea if he comes good or not but I needed the cash and didn't want to go early on mooing rookies. I'm hoping to go two def rookies (from Noble/Starc/Hill) for Ling or Watson (I'll take Ling if he get's named tonight) and Hurn. Next week Stewart and Duncan. Would love to go uber prems as I'm missing the big guns in defence but cash gen an issue - I just KNOW this is going to come back and bight me.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for your reply.

His last 5 - 76,100,54,114,116 (the 54 against the eagles)

B Crouch now out, Sloan always seems to have niggles, so given his current role, I suspect there could be
a 90 - 105 average there and.....risk :(

I think you have made a good pick up there for your keeper league.
I hope so. My starters are Jack Martin, Bailey Smith and Whitfield. With those guys all having a bye to cover shortly I hope to get a decent 3 scores from Keays as my other forward cover is Ladhams (FR dpp) who I have as a ruck handcuff to Lycett.

Thanks for the background, which seems promising.

If it doesn’t work out I will drop him and bring in the next best guy in the lead up to top 4 knockout keeper league finals.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not knowing the teams to come is horrible - I just want to make my trades and get on with the rest of my life :rolleyes:

Pulled the trigger on Dev for Close- no idea if he comes good or not but I needed the cash and didn't want to go early on mooing rookies. I'm hoping to go two def rookies (from Noble/Starc/Hill) for Ling or Watson (I'll take Ling if he get's named tonight) and Hurn. Next week Stewart and Duncan. Would love to go uber prems as I'm missing the big guns in defence but cash gen an issue - I just KNOW this is going to come back and bight me.
Except for the few coaches who have nailed every rookie pick every other side is going to be struggling for cash.

The main decision is whether to pass on the big guns and aim for 21-22 premiums or to pass in the value picks and aim for 19-20 premiums.

As I have posted before I think in a year which will largely be best 18 from here it make sense to get in quality rather than quantity, whereas most years I would be doing the opposite. The key is not to overpay for that quality and to pick the highest averaging players up well below their peak price.

Slingshotting through the byes after round 10 will reduce a teams $$ sitting on the bench which teams chasing full premium will have to accept while they dump their mid 200k rookies.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Essendon
Can someone clarify the trades situation for me, please? Have the extra trades been added, or are they added as the particular rounds happen?

Bit confused and low on time, so any help would be great.

AFL Club
Carlton
Can someone clarify the trades situation for me, please? Have the extra trades been added, or are they added as the particular rounds happen?

Bit confused and low on time, so any help would be great.
SuperCoach decided to give everyone an extra 4 trades (from 30 to 34) to help with the condensed AFL fixture. They gave them out the end of last round (or whenever they announced it, can't remember 100%), so now we have access to a few more trades. Nothing has been announced about providing more trades in the future (since the AFL hasn't produced a fixture). We can also now do 3 trades per week, rather than original 2, due to some teams having byes.

AFL Club
Essendon
SuperCoach decided to give everyone an extra 4 trades (from 30 to 34) to help with the condensed AFL fixture. They gave them out the end of last round (or whenever they announced it, can't remember 100%), so now we have access to a few more trades. Nothing has been announced about providing more trades in the future (since the AFL hasn't produced a fixture). We can also now do 3 trades per week, rather than original 2, due to some teams having byes.
Thanks mate.

Also Yikes!!! I've burned through the trades...

AFL Club
Melbourne
I've got some problems in defence this week with Doedee and Hill out.:unsure:

One trade done already Budarick to Bazlenka

Have Noble on the bench for coverage, but no confidence in him holding his place in the team.

Think I will have to trade Doedee and Hill, but miss on Close, thinking at this stage given the js issues potentially for Ling/Watson will do:

Hill to McKay and Doedee to Ridley

I know that I'm paying a premium on Ridley, but he still seems the best DEF upgrade leading into the byes.

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

To a degree, I feel that the fact that McKay, has to be on-field this week may make him a better option than Ling/Watson, or are my thoughts totally wrong?